Humbrol Enamels

Started by Doug K, May 05, 2018, 01:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

There are no Humbrol Enamels on the Airfix site, only the new acrylic range. This might also be why so many shops have removed their large Humbrol paint stands.

Revell enamels are still available which suggests they have already got to grips with a new formula that doesn't fall foul of the law. (It says Email paints which I have been told means Enamel).

kitnut617

Humbrol enamels disappeared from my LMS last year, I snapped up as many as I could buy before they ran out. So with Testors/ModelMaster enamels also disappearing there's not a lot anyone can do if they prefer enamels. XtraColor didn't even make it to Canada as far as I can tell.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

News to me.  Was the change prenotified? 

Never been impressed with Revell enamels and the very small number of Humbrol acrylic pots where underwhelming.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on March 30, 2022, 09:58:19 AM

Don't be silly Dave, why would anyone at Hornby want to tell their customers ANYthing about what they're doing? We're only there to pay their bonuses.

What about Xtracolor though? There are ten pages of their tins still for sale? Maybe they don't use this 'Meko' stuff? Ah, that could be why they don't dry of course.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2022, 11:09:23 AM

Don't be silly Dave, why would anyone at Hornby want to tell their customers ANYthing about what they're doing? We're only there to pay their bonuses.

What about Xtracolor though? There are ten pages of their tins still for sale? Maybe they don't use this 'Meko' stuff? Ah, that could be why they don't dry of course.....

The XtraColor enamels that I do have all came direct from Hannants, but I can't get any of it these days, can't be sent by mail apparently.

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 30, 2022, 11:26:23 AM

The XtraColor enamels that I do have all came direct from Hannants, but I can't get any of it these days, can't be sent by mail apparently.

I always buy their paint with a kit, not done that recently but it worked for me the last time I did that.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2022, 11:09:23 AM

My bad, Kit  ;)

For years I've been using Humbrol matt enamels as bases for Xtracolor/Xtracrylix top coats and have been happy with the results.  No issues with Xtracolors to date.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on March 30, 2022, 11:36:49 AM

I always buy their paint with a kit, not done that recently but it worked for me the last time I did that.

Gondor

They used to do that with my orders too, but for the last couple of years, nothing comes overseas, postal services have banned it -----

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 30, 2022, 03:28:34 PM
Quote from: Gondor on March 30, 2022, 11:36:49 AM

Gondor

They used to do that with my orders too, but for the last couple of years, nothing comes overseas, postal services have banned it -----

Not Good  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Disturbing news, because the Revell enamels are horrible (at least for me) to work with - and Humbrol was the last local alternative after Testors/ModelMaster disappeared a couple of yeras ago from the EU market.  :-\

PR19_Kit

It amazes me how the human race has survived these last 100 years so considering how long we've been living with all these DANGEROUS substances surrounding us..............

[Sarcasm mode off]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Must admit the only Humbrol enamels I regularly use are from the old Metalcoats range which are brilliant. I still use some Xtracolor where I can't get the equivalent colour in their Xtracrylic range (the Mediterranean Blues I recently used for example) but it's 90% acrylic nowadays.

I don't think you've legally been able to post enamels in the UK for a couple of years, even if hidden in kit boxes, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately this is something that's been on the cards for a good few years and if I'm honest I'm surprised it's taken this long to come to a head.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 31, 2022, 06:19:55 AM
Must admit the only Humbrol enamels I regularly use are from the old Metalcoats range which are brilliant. I still use some Xtracolor where I can't get the equivalent colour in their Xtracrylic range (the Mediterranean Blues I recently used for example) but it's 90% acrylic nowadays.

I don't think you've legally been able to post enamels in the UK for a couple of years, even if hidden in kit boxes, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately this is something that's been on the cards for a good few years and if I'm honest I'm surprised it's taken this long to come to a head.

It's an EU thing Chris, some legislation they brought out banning certain elements that are used in enamels.  As for the ModelMaster paint, some paint company in the EU bought the rights to it so it could be more obtainable in the EU, then, suddenly found they couldn't sell it in the EU. So instead of finding a buyer for it, they just closed the whole operation down, everywhere in the world too.

Howard of Effingham

I am really in the mire then.  :banghead:

My entire stash of paints is built on enamels and humbrol especially.

Still as Kit has said of himself that he'd been using them for years, so have I without much trouble.
Keeper of George the Cat.

kitbasher

Checked out but (at a bazillion pages) not read the applicable EU legislation and it looks as though (as is so often with EU legislation) it was introduced into law with a pretty hefty transition period to full implementation. 

So, rather surprising then that inevitable termination of enamel hobby paint production hasn't been flagged up by the manufacturers.  And odd that Revell and Xtracolor so far seem unaffected.

The 'REACH' regulation (Reg 1907/2006 of 18 December 2006) is one of the EU laws carried over into UK law as part of the Brexit agreement.  Not that that makes a difference, I can't imagine Humbrol, etc, catering for separate EU and non-EU markets (too costly).