Spanish Civil War Whifs

Started by stevehed, May 09, 2018, 12:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

stevehed

Thanks Gentlemen. I've been a bit tardy with this one with other interests taking precedence. Still kept having a nibble though and have, at last, got the top wing on. It looked like a simple procedure but not for me. First glance, install canopy which will support trailing edge. Then add cabane struts. First attempt was wonky in the horizontal plane and tilted forward. Dodgy cutting of vac form canopy was remedied and I ground down the upper edge. This sorted the horizontal issues but after more delicate filing of the canopy framework I decided the cabanes were too short and replaced with strip. Problem solved except now the interplane struts were short. As I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a use for them elsewhere these were also replaced with strip. Now looking like a biplane there is just the gun ring bits and pieces and the tail wheel to add and a final touch up of the paint work.

NARSES2

Ah, the joys of bi-plane modelling  ;D

Looking good  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

stevehed

As I potter around with the final touches I've made a start with the spare fuselage that comes with the kit. There were a few varieties of the Br 27 with the early versions sporting a 500hp Hisso while later types used the 650-690 model. This was used by the Spanish Furies so should be ok for an ad hoc fighter. As noted earlier the wings of this batch of 27's went down with the ship so I'm going to try to modify the fuselage to single seat and use the spares from a Heller Nieuport 62 to provide the wings and other bits and pieces. Plan is to fill in the second cockpit with card, hence the support struts, and reduce the length of the fuselage. Going to cut out the section between the front of the cockpit and the rear of the engine upper decking. I was going to cut out the rear cockpit but this meant building up a prominent step which would then increase the cut out for the spar carrying the tail unit. Hopefully, the way I'm looking at will be less work.

NARSES2

Wardukw

Agreed..interesting indeed ..on a WW1 note ..im having thoughts about my Spad..a float plane Spad ..wouldnt be hard to build and would look very different.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 20, 2022, 11:22:20 PM
Agreed..interesting indeed ..on a WW1 note ..im having thoughts about my Spad..a float plane Spad ..wouldnt be hard to build and would look very different.

Italian ?

Wardukw

Chris if i could find some WW1 markings then why the hell not  ;D
If not then French would work or British  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Italy in WWI used the same roundels as they do now. I could probably dig some out for you ?

Wardukw

That would be very cool Chris  ;D
A Italian Spad with floats would be a very cool build and freaking small ..thats gonna be interesting  :lol:

NARSES2

PM me your address and I'll see what I can find

Wardukw

stevehed

Hi All,
         Calling her finished. My interpretation of a civilian version of the Br27 which has been militarized. It has received a Soviet copy of the Hisso salvaged from an SB2 bomber. Internals have been kept very basic and constitute a scratched camera and magazines. Based on the export Br 273 she would have been a bit faster than the Polikarpov R-Z the Republicans were using so I've assigned her to photo recce duties. There's a hole in the bottom of the fuselage filled with glue and glaze for the camera. Flown alongside the R-Z's they eventually ended up on ground attack duties as the Aragon campaign turned against the Reds and appear to have been lost. No signs of Breguets on the Grupos inventory when they were transferred to Catalonia at the end of 1937.

Work on the Breguet Parasol continues with some surgery having to be performed. A shorter fuselage was thought desirable for a fighter so a section between the cockpit and engine compartment was removed. On rejoining my careful cutting was revealed as wishful thinking and filler and a plug was required. I've tried a dry run with the Nieuport parts without any obvious issues showing up so fingers crossed.

Last, with all these Republicans, I thought there should be some opposition. Not so much scope for Nationalist whiffery so RW only. I built these during Covid lockdown and they are the Supermodel Fait CR32, and two Heinkels, the AML parasol He 46 and the Revell/Matchbox He 70 monoplane.

NARSES2

That looks good  :thumbsup:

The 3 Republicans look good as well

Wardukw

Those are looking so good Steve...love the camo bigtime  ;D :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
As for my Spad idea..well its a definite now ..Italian..floats ..but now its got a new roll..2 seater fighter/reconnaissance float plane .
It will be only the third float plane ive ever made too..frist was a Catalina..second was a Grumman Duck but because of a plane i was given there could be a forth  :wacko: