Nakajima Ki -87 –I (Allied Code Name Bert) of 244th Sentai , Tokyo, Japan, Novem

Started by NARSES2, May 18, 2018, 06:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This is the RS Nakajima Ki 87-I and I'm really impressed with how she went together. The fuselage halves closed up around the cockpit and engine inserts beautifully, no problems at all which is not something that can be said for some limited run, nor mainstream kits. It's also noticeable that some of these interior bits had guides as to where they needed to be fitted/glued, another step forward for RS. The wing to fuselage was also excellent and only required the merest hint of filler.

It really is a super kit and bodes well for the –II when it comes out. The fit (with one exception) has been excellent and after I'd primed her I was very surprised by the finish. I could have even got away with the natural metal finish examples on the transfer sheet (the prototype and one What If operational example) which with my normal standard of seam finishing is not generally an option. Not down to me but the mould makers. I'll definitely be getting the -II which would have been the production aircraft when it comes out and had some significant changes from this the prototype.

The one exception to the overall excellent fit is the canopy. It's not bad but it will either fit perfectly at the front, or at the rear, not both ends at once. Now you can, with a fair bit of pressure close the gap at the rear, but it's a fair bit of pressure not just a squeeze. So I epoxied  the front half of the canopy and gave that 24 hours to cure. Before doing the same to the rear half.  End result was pretty good.

She's finished with Tamiya paints in the main with White Ensign for the yellow areas and my usual mixture for the smaller detail parts. Transfers are from the box, which gives you the prototype and 2 "what if" operational markings. I've used one of these later options. The transfers were the only very slight weak point with the kit and that was only because they "grabbed" a little too quickly for me, and that can be seen by the tail markings. Other than that the kit is thoroughly recommended.

I'm really impressed with this and will be getting the planned production variant when RS release it. It had some major changes from the prototype, not all of which were agreed by the designers, and one of these was the moving of the supercharger so as to be under the fuselage. The prototype did fly a couple of times, although they never got to retract the undercarriage, which was meant to retract in the same way as the Kittyhawk's, so it's not possible to pass any true judgment on the design. Planned armament was to have been 2 times 20mm and 2 times 30mm cannon.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

b29r

A very nice build of a good looking and potent design.  :thumbsup:

Well played!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

That is gorgeous!! I love the whole but that shade of blue on there.  :wub: :wub:    Really nice canopy frame painting, too. Looks like the epoxy job is spot on as well because I can't see any difference!

"Japanese-Jug."  ;D 
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Building the Ki-87-II Tsuin (Twin) would have been also possible:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Nice!  :thumbsup:

Tophe's twin solution looks sexy, too, esp. with the staggered props.

NARSES2

Thanks gents  :thumbsup:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 18, 2018, 09:56:37 AM
  Really nice canopy frame painting, too. Looks like the epoxy job is spot on as well because I can't see any difference!

"Japanese-Jug."  ;D

Wish I could say I masked it, but I'm afraid I reverted to my standard pre-painted masking tape strips.

Strange you mention the Jug. Exactly what I was reminded of. I think it was the size more than anything, she's a large aeroplane for sure, but they managed to keep her lines. The -II had some major differences, including the placement of the supercharger which was going to be moved, against the advice of the designers, to underneath the cockpit ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Sounds good to me! I've been wanting to try that method myself but I can't find tape smaller than 2 or 3mm so not sure how well I'd do at cutting the strips. I'll find out one of these days. Until then it's the ol' paint and scrape with a toothpick method.  ;D

See, I knew I wasn't the only one reminded of the Jug. Yes, it's a good looking airplane despite being a bit...   "voluptuos."  Hate to say, but better looking than a P-47.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 19, 2018, 02:28:40 AM
Sounds good to me! I've been wanting to try that method myself but I can't find tape smaller than 2 or 3mm so not sure how well I'd do at cutting the strips. I'll find out one of these days. Until then it's the ol' paint and scrape with a toothpick method.  ;D

I get tape down to 0.5mm by Jammydog. http://www.jammydog.com/

kitbasher

Lovely build, Chris.  I don't know enough about WW2 Japanese types (they're all Zeros, Vals and Dinahs to me (sorry, Japan)) so this totally convinces, well done.

like the way you used your well-manicured hand double!  ;)
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 20, 2018, 01:37:02 AM

Ta!
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 20, 2018, 05:54:44 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on May 20, 2018, 01:37:02 AM

Ta!

You can get down to 0.4mm from Hobby Link Japan. Worth adding to an order if you are getting something else.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 21, 2018, 03:40:17 AM

You can get down to 0.4mm from Hobby Link Japan. Worth adding to an order if you are getting something else.

Yup  :thumbsup: I pick it up whenever I see some at a show. Useful for loads of things