Have any kits gone extinct?

Started by strobez, May 18, 2018, 11:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Rumor was that the 1/144 Otaki C-5 Galaxy molds were lost, and the kit was getting crazy prices over the years. I believe we now have a newer kit (also at crazy prices). I have one in the stash and do have a bit of trepedation over the idea of building it, but do plan to do so.

I am a builder, not a collector (Mrs. Sandiego89 may not agree! 😀). I only buy what I would consider building, and generally will not buy multiples of the same kit.

I say kits were meant to be built, and we should do so. Similar to the classic car scene, or Warbird scene. Yes there are a few that should never drive or fly, especially sole survivors, but your average collector car, Warbird or kit, should be driven, flown or built.

Finally I do wonder how much longer the hobby will be around. Sadly it does not seem we are replacing builders as fast as we are losing them...   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

Quote from: sandiego89 on May 19, 2018, 02:49:53 PM
Rumor was that the 1/144 Otaki C-5 Galaxy molds were lost, and the kit was getting crazy prices over the years. I believe we now have a newer kit (also at crazy prices). I have one in the stash and do have a bit of trepedation over the idea of building it, but do plan to do so.

I am a builder, not a collector (Mrs. Sandiego89 may not agree! 😀). I only buy what I would consider building, and generally will not buy multiples of the same kit.

I say kits were meant to be built, and we should do so. Similar to the classic car scene, or Warbird scene. Yes there are a few that should never drive or fly, especially sole survivors, but your average collector car, Warbird or kit, should be driven, flown or built.

Finally I do wonder how much longer the hobby will be around. Sadly it does not seem we are replacing builders as fast as we are losing them...

I have a Revell 1/144 C-5 which is about 1986 vintage. Still embossed on the sprues is Otaki. I posted some pics of it on a thread here somewhere. Testors is supposed to have reboxed it too.

EDIT: found it, see reply #492 in the My Stash just Grew Again thread.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ysi_maniac

AFAIK Airfix SA-2 Guideline 1/72 mold is lost
Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

Isn't the Airfix SS France mold lost-and-gone-forever too?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on May 19, 2018, 02:01:23 PM
Does anybody knows what happened to the Delta/Delta2 moulds? Tne Savoia S-55X, Fiat CR-32, Campini Caproni etc?

Didn't they spend some time with Italeri ? I did have a couple of the Delta toolings and I thought that's where they went ?

'
Quote from: loupgarou on May 19, 2018, 03:44:41 AM

And any old modeller remembers the Vulcan/Eaglewall aircraft?

Yup, and their ships - were they 1200th scale ?

Huma is one I miss, they were nice builds.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 20, 2018, 01:09:45 AM
Does anybody knows what happened to the Delta/Delta2 moulds? Tne Savoia S-55X, Fiat CR-32, Campini Caproni etc?

Didn't they spend some time with Italeri ? I did have a couple of the Delta toolings and I thought that's where they went ?

I think you might be thinking about Supermodel Chris, that was after the owners of Aliplast split to form Italaerei and Supermodel. There's no mention of either taking on the Delta moulds in the PAK-20 book although Supermodel does have a similar list of Italian aircraft.

kitnut617

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 19, 2018, 05:53:54 PM
Quote from: sandiego89 on May 19, 2018, 02:49:53 PM

I have a Revell 1/144 C-5 which is about 1986 vintage. Still embossed on the sprues is Otaki. I posted some pics of it on a thread here somewhere. Testors is supposed to have reboxed it too.

EDIT: found it, see reply #492 in the My Stash just Grew Again thread.

It's quite possible that Testors have the C-5 moulds, they have re-issued the Otaki kit three times according to the PAK-20 book. And I also read that Testors owns Italeri -----

zenrat

Otaki did some rather nice 1/24 car wheel sets which I wish someone would recover the moulds for and re-pop.
Particularly the big and little jellybeans (AKA Fentons, slot mags etc).  I'm down to my last set of resin copies.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tigercat

I think the PM models moulds were destroyed . no more cheap floatfires bought solely for the floats.

zenrat

Are there any models which should be made extinct?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

I know that you will ridicule me for this but the Mach2  1/72 Br1150 Atlantic seems to have gone out of production.
I know it's not as good as the Revell one, which I think has also gone out of production judging from the prices on eBay.
They both have problems in the construction especially the wings on the Revell kit, cowlings and joining the two parts of the fuselage together.
As with the Mach2 Kit after you have cleaned up the parts, scratch built the interior and sorted out the fuselage gaps, it's not a bad kit.
L'Arsenal do a ATL2 resin conversion set but this is about the same price as you would pay for the Revell kit.
As far as I can see the vertical tail fin and the chin mounted FLIR are the main differences.

kitbasher

Quote from: zenrat on May 20, 2018, 05:25:26 AM

The Merlin Vampire T.11.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

scooter

Revellogram's ancient P-61 in 1/48.  Or at least add sprues that *aren't* for ground maintenance dios.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on May 20, 2018, 09:51:47 AM

The Merlin Vampire T.11.

And their equally 'orrible TSR2 as well!

Supermodel's SM55x and the MX72 are the old Delta moulds, I have one each and they say 'Delta' somewhere in the instructions IIRC.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 20, 2018, 04:42:04 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on May 20, 2018, 01:09:45 AM

I think you might be thinking about Supermodel Chris, that was after the owners of Aliplast split to form Italaerei and Supermodel. There's no mention of either taking on the Delta moulds in the PAK-20 book although Supermodel does have a similar list of Italian aircraft.

Ah yup, so I am. Thanks  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.