RAF C-130 paint color early 1970's?

Started by sandiego89, May 29, 2018, 03:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

In that period the RAF were keen on using polyurethane paints, and originally they only came in gloss colours, so the early Herks were gloss all over until any desert sand had matted them off.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

RAF Argosies, Twin Pioneers and Beverlies weren't camouflaged upon entering service, but eventually appeared in what became the standard tactical transport scheme of gloss Dark Earth, Middle Stone and black. IIRC even one or two Pioneers ended up that way.
Andovers and Hercules entered service in that scheme.  Not surprising (to an extent) given the end-of-Empire stuff the RAF was engaged in.
Hercs transitioned to Dark Grey, Dark Green, Light Aircraft Grey.  One Andover (51 Sqn) did too, and I think a couple of number of Twin Pins.  Although if I remember a very old profile in SAM correctly the DG/DG/LAG Twin Pins may have had silver-painted undersides.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Glenn Gilbertson

For inspiration:
Brand:   Xtradecal
Title:   Hercules 25th Anniversary, Phantom 1992 Display Aircraft
Number:   X028-72
Scale:   1:72

rickshaw

Out of a matter of interest, what colour scheme would a tactical aircraft operating in Oman have worn in the 1970s?  A desert scheme, such as was worn "east of Suez" in the late 1960s?   If so, what sort of roundels would it have worn?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

I'd assume something like this:

Dark Earth/Mid Stone, undersides black(!), white cockpit area. Type B or D roundels. The scheme was used on several aircraft, e .g. the Andover, Beverley and also the Herc.

AS.12

Yep; the desert scheme wasn't only 'east of Suez'; it was applied to the entire tactical transport fleet. 

PR19_Kit

And most of the time they all used D Type roundels, as in Dizzy's pics. Later on some Hercs had two colour (B Type) roundels, but I think they were the only types to do that.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

IIRC the underwing roundels were always red/blue (no white).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter