Need help... again!

Started by strobez, June 10, 2018, 03:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

I'd say it's a T-62 tank with a T-55 main gun
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Weaver

The proportions of it, especially the turret height:width ratio, is more like a T-55, but all the detail is clearly taken from a T-62, so it's basically a mashup between two very similar-looking vehicles.

If the comic reveal how many crew it has at any point, then that would be important: T-55 has 4 crew, T-62 has 3 crew plus an autoloader, hence the lower turret (the standing height of the loader is the limiting factor).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Vorcha

Quote from: Weaver on June 15, 2018, 02:58:33 AM
The proportions of it, especially the turret height:width ratio, is more like a T-55, but all the detail is clearly taken from a T-62, so it's basically a mashup between two very similar-looking vehicles.

If the comic reveal how many crew it has at any point, then that would be important: T-55 has 4 crew, T-62 has 3 crew plus an autoloader, hence the lower turret (the standing height of the loader is the limiting factor).

As far as I heard the T-62 hasn't been equipped with an autoloader... you might refer to the later T-64. The russians deliberately built their tanks to be smaller, as to be more difficult targets. Standing in there for a normal man of today is indeed impossible, it was instead military policy to only select especially short conscripts as tankers... I am 1.67 m high and I think I would have been too big already. So the T-62 indeed had a loader, but a very short one :)
I have read an excellent review of the T-62 that almost satisfies a rivet-counter's cravings...  ;D
https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/2015/12/t-62.html
paper boy

NARSES2

I've also read about the Soviets selecting the smaller conscripts as tank crew. I'm 1.72m (I think that's 5 foot 8 inches converted to metric) so I guess I'd be PBI  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 15, 2018, 06:39:51 AM
I've also read about the Soviets selecting the smaller conscripts as tank crew. I'm 1.72m (I think that's 5 foot 8 inches converted to metric) so I guess I'd be PBI  :-\

So, at 190cm (6' 21/2") I'd be what? A target? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Quote from: Vorcha on June 15, 2018, 05:58:23 AM
Quote from: Weaver on June 15, 2018, 02:58:33 AM

As far as I heard the T-62 hasn't been equipped with an autoloader... you might refer to the later T-64. The russians deliberately built their tanks to be smaller, as to be more difficult targets. Standing in there for a normal man of today is indeed impossible, it was instead military policy to only select especially short conscripts as tankers... I am 1.67 m high and I think I would have been too big already. So the T-62 indeed had a loader, but a very short one :)
I have read an excellent review of the T-62 that almost satisfies a rivet-counter's cravings...  ;D
https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/2015/12/t-62.html

Sorry yes, you're quite right.

I was confusing the T-62's auto-ejector with an auto-loader. IIRC this caused some confusion in Western intelligence circles initially: since it requires the gun to go back to a set elevation after each shot and ejects the spent case out of the turret, it looks like an auto-loader from the outside. However I can't use that as an excuse: my oldest book still lists the crew as four.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 15, 2018, 09:08:28 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 15, 2018, 06:39:51 AM

So, at 190cm (6' 21/2") I'd be what? A target? :unsure:

Pavlovsky Guard on ceremonials more likely  ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlovsky_Regiment

Whilst Putin has not quite brought them back yet, his ceremonial troops definitely look like one of the Napoleonic Russian Guard infantry regiments. Not quite, but almost  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

philp

In the comic the side shot definitely looks more T-62 with the 115mm gun.

Rifling just looks cooler when you are drawing an action comic.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

strobez

I've done some searching on Japanese sites and they all list the tanks as T-62s.  I've got a neat idea for a dio but I'm not sure I want to shell out the cash for a 1/144 scale tank/Jeep combo. I could do it for about $20 in 1/72, but $60 in 1/144.  I keep telling myself that you're paying for the engineering and the mold, not the plastic... but it's not helping. ;)
Thanks!

Greg

nighthunter

While I can't afford it, I'm still curious about the 1/144 kit, can you post a link?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

strobez

Well the 1/144 T-62 kit I was looking at is a resin offering from Kami de Korokoro.  It's possibly (out of stock, but still lets you order) on Hobby Link Japan.

https://hlj.com/product/KADMMF-092

From the research I've done, it seems to be the best option.  But I'd love to be proven wrong.

As for the jeep, I'd probably go for this one: https://hlj.com/product/BRGBRS144033

Thanks!

Greg

Old Wombat

I have a query: Your builds, so far, have been 1/72, so why not continue in that scale?

If you do that it's actually a bit cheaper!

https://hlj.com/product/TRP07147
(Only AU$1 but it's still a dollar in your pocket!)

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-vehicles-tanks-airfix-models-ax02339-1:72-willys-british-airborne-jeep?zenid=34d596bce257d9648c07081265e5c5f0
(AU$0.90 more expensive from Aus but HLJ have sold out of these but when in stock they're AU$5 cheaper!)

Or there's this set of 2 Willy's jeeps (but they have an "Order Stop" on them):
https://hlj.com/product/ITAIT7506
(AU$24 the pair, so AU$12 each, &, again, AU$5 each cheaper!)

Also, I don't know about you but I find plastic much easier to work with than resin when doing mod's.

Just my thoughts. ;)

PS: I just had a read through the whole thread, again, & just noticed your comment 3 posts ago :banghead: I'd still suggest you keep to your starting scale of 1/72, though.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

I haven't abandoned the 1/72 scale, I still plan to continue in that for all my Tintin projects as well as more detailed Area 88 builds - probably incorporating the kits you linked to (especially the Trumpetor one).

I will also probably end up doing some dios in that scale in a few years when I move back to my house in Canada and out of my small apartment in Korea.  But for now, space being at a premium, I want to constrain my "in action" projects a bit.  I recently got a 1/144 747 kit and that one seemed big enough to be sure. ;)

I can't say I haven't waffled a bit though - especially after amassing several Area 88 kits in 1/100.  I bought them for the 1/24 figures included, but have started considering what I might do with the rest... :)
Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Ok... so need some more help identifying tanks from Area 88.  This is from a scene involving the Huey's from Area 85 that come under a sneak attack by tanks hiding in the sand...

I'm sure someone around here will be able to identify this tank in snap...

Thanks!

Greg

Cobra

Can't be Exact,but that Tank looks like a T-80. I've got some of the Area 88 Comics,I'll see if i can find that Issue,No Promises though. Dan