Western inventions of Soviet aircraft

Started by AS.12, June 20, 2018, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AS.12

I found this article interesting, particularly from the header "Soviet Phantom Aircraft" onwards.  No not F-4s with Red Stars but the various types of aircraft that the Western press imagined were in service in the USSR, based on grainy photos or verbal descriptions:

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/aircraft-phantom.htm

Aurora seems to have been particulary keen on kitting-up a rumoured design and slapping a name on it.

zenrat

Unfortunately, interesting as it looks I won't be reading that as they want me to disable my adblocker.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AS.12

Quote from: zenrat on June 20, 2018, 04:21:09 AM
Unfortunately, interesting as it looks I won't be reading that as they want me to disable my adblocker.

Ah, I sailed right through with NoScript disabling such shennanigans.

Anyway here's an excerpt that might be relevant to the forum:

MiG-19 / Yak-25

In the early 1950s, details of Soviet aircraft were hard to come by. But that didn't stop the then-nascent Aurora Models company from kitting a so-called Russian fighter "inspired" by Nazi Germany's experimental TA-183. Definitely one of the stranger selections in Aurora's stable of airplane kits was the fictitious aircraft they chose to first call the "Yak-25" then later "MiG-19".

Of course it was neither, looking more than a stylized interpretation of a late-war Luftwaffe drawing board concept. First released as the YAK-25 in 1953, the simple model was retooled with missiles, landing gear and surface detail and re-released in metallic green plastic as the MIG-19 a year later [Revell's issuing a more accurate kit of the real Yak-25 may have had something to do with that]. Although the TA-183 did lead to the development of an actual Soviet Fighter -- the MIG 15 -- this particular design was purely fanciful. Aurora made this kit based on a fuzzy picture in an avaiation magazine, a common source of subjects in the 50s.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..