RAF Centenary GB - The Rules

Started by NARSES2, June 20, 2018, 03:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

1. The GB runs from the 1st July 2018 till midnight of 30th September 2018. Extensions will in all probability be considered when we get nearer to the finish date. 2 week extension granted GB now runs through to midnight on the 14th October 2018.

2.  The G.B. includes anything used by or which could have been used by the R.A.F. including types under evaluation, be it in reality or in your imagination, since its formation on the 1st April 1918 until the present date or indeed, if your crystal ball is up and running, anything it is likely to use in the future. Please note that the R.A.F. has not just used aircraft but in the past has used both armoured vehicles and ships/boats, so who knows what it will use in the future

3. You may also choose to include the Air Forces of nations that have maintained their link to the British Crown. So R.A.A.F; R.C.A.F; R.N.Z.A.F for instance and any other air force that, in your alternative take on history, maintained the link. So Royal Indian A.F for instance or in an extreme example perhaps the dispute of 1775 which led to the birth of the U.S.A. was settled amicably and the Colonies became the first Dominion (or indeed Dominions)?

If you want to say that the R.A.F. maintained separate branches (Naval, Army Co-op, Home Defence, Strategic etc.) then that is fine, but the politics could get even more interesting than in real life ! However they must be part of the R.A.F. you can't say it was never formed or was disbanded at some time in the past or future.

4. The GB welcomes models, profiles and stories and anything else your fertile minds can think of.

5. Models already started are allowed as long as major building work has not started before the GB begins. Check with the Moderator.

7. Finished models and profiles to be posted (with picture and link to build thread) in the finished builds thread within the overall GB thread in this Board. Please do not post comments in the finished builds thread.

8.  Have FUN. 

10. Unusually there will only be one moderator for this G.B.; me. The reason for this ? Well I had a sudden lust for power. No seriously I do have fairly strong views about this G.B. whereas I am normally more than happy to sit back and just watch how things develop and help the moderators and yourselves enjoy the build. Apologies if that upsets anyone and I hope you can still enjoy it and normal service will be resumed for the next build. Also on a practical level it can be difficult to get moderators and I will need two for the V.S.T.O.L whatever build latter in the year (I have two for the Racing G.B.)

So if you need any help or advice, please get in touch with me and I'll do my best to assist.

11. There is no rule 6, don't EVER ask about rule 6 (O.K. so sometimes it's Rule 7 that doesn't get mentioned, but I felt sorry for it this time around)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

What if Royal Scottish Air Force or Royal Saudi Air Force?
Are they allowed?
Will die without understanding this world.

loupgarou

Quote from: ysi_maniac on June 25, 2018, 12:33:07 PM
Are they allowed?

Maybe if Lawrence had persuaded Ibn Saud to be part of the Commonwealth... :o
OR had taken directly the throne, founding a new dinasty... ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: ysi_maniac on June 25, 2018, 12:33:07 PM
Are they allowed?

As long as you can fit them into this crucial rule "You may also choose to include the Air Forces of nations that have maintained their link to the British Crown".

I think a future Royal Scottish AF is a distinct possibility as long as an independent Scotland retains the Windsor monarchy and doesn't dig up a Stuart from somewhere. The Bonnie Prince was last heard of in Italy. There are some Royal Scottish AF builds on site.

Royal Saudi ? I think that it's pushing it a little to far to be honest as you'd have to monarchs. A Windsor and a member of the House of Saud.

So Scottish ? Yes. Saudi ? No
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Just spitballing here but how about if Britain controlled Palestine after WW2 with it being a dominion and eventually an independent nation state and commonwealth member.
Meaning a Royal Palestine Air Force.
Constant acts of terror by zionist revolutionaries make for a similar situation to that in Northern Ireland.
Plus border skirmishes with all the variously aligned neighbours.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 27, 2018, 05:03:48 AM
Just spitballing here but how about if Britain controlled Palestine after WW2 with it being a dominion and eventually an independent nation state and commonwealth member.
Meaning a Royal Palestine Air Force.

Very, very messy, but providing it retained the British Royal Family as its head of state then it fits into the rules.

The key is "who is the head of state, titular or not" ?

ysi_maniac

I assume FAA is not valid, but RAF Coastal Command is valid. Am I right?
Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

Quote from: ysi_maniac on July 22, 2018, 12:47:13 AM

Coastal Command certainly  :thumbsup:

The FAA's air assets were controlled by the RAF from just after WWI until just prior to WWII (the exact dates are a little hazy in my head), only the ships were RN. We are now in a situation where the new F-35's will be a joint RAF/RN force.

So given that, I am more then happy to say that the FAA is valid.

Hope that helps ?

Chris

Knightflyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 22, 2018, 12:58:50 AM
Quote from: ysi_maniac on July 22, 2018, 12:47:13 AM

Coastal Command certainly  :thumbsup:

The FAA's air assets were controlled by the RAF from just after WWI until just prior to WWII (the exact dates are a little hazy in my head), only the ships were RN. We are now in a situation where the new F-35's will be a joint RAF/RN force.

So given that, I am more then happy to say that the FAA is valid.

Ohhhhhhh just to clarify - FAA ANY PERIOD is valid? If so I can see a couple of Sea Furies moving to the front of the queue!  ;D :thumbsup:

Hope that helps ?

Chris
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

Yup, FAA any period. I'm not getting into the argument of which dates would be applicable as the exact ones can be difficult to pin down especially if you start look for the dates the new regulations came into force rather then the dates they were passed by whoever ??

I was sure I'd posted that FAA was ok somewhere ?

Ah knew I wasn't going mad, or madder then is normal for me anyway  ;D. Second post from bottom of page http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,45381.15.html

63cpe

Just to be sure: are AAC aircraft eligable for this GB?

NARSES2

Quote from: 63cpe on August 17, 2018, 09:57:51 PM
Just to be sure: are AAC aircraft eligable for this GB?

If I'm allowing FAA I can't see why not  :thumbsup:

Just say that the RAF maintained a watchful eye over the AAC in your world  ;)

63cpe

OK, great....Thanks for the reply!  :thumbsup:

David

zenrat

AAC?

Google is no help in this case.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit