RAF Centenary GB - Discussion thread

Started by NARSES2, June 20, 2018, 03:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

PR19_Kit

Here's the initial components for my RAF 100 GB build.

There's two more parts still to come, and yes, there are TWO Rotodynes there, one without a tail................  ;) ;) ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

For some reason I always find the idea of dropping bombs tail first counter intuitive ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

aha the rare Manx Rotodyne. looks like youll have plenty left over for the next GB too ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 02, 2018, 02:44:21 AM

For some reason I always find the idea of dropping bombs tail first counter intuitive ?

I agree 100%. But the Luftwaffe didn't, viz. the He-111, which did exactly that.  :-\

Quote from: tigercat on July 02, 2018, 05:09:35 AM

aha the rare Manx Rotodyne. looks like youll have plenty left over for the next GB too ;D

Yes, not quite sure what happened to that tail, perhaps I donated it to someone more needy than me? The same kit has TWO rotors in it too, very weird............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 02, 2018, 05:20:42 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 02, 2018, 02:44:21 AM

I agree 100%. But the Luftwaffe didn't, viz. the He-111, which did exactly that.  :-\

Quite a few tears ago, a B-17 and a CASA 2.111 (Spanish He 111) visited Calgary. I took the tour through both of them (for a grand sum of C$10) and was surprised when I had to crawl over the 111's bomb bay to get to the cockpit from the rear of the fuselage (there's no other way other than climb the under-nose ladder when it's on the ground). The top of the bomb bay was all open and made up of a mass of square holes where the bombs would be hung.  It wasn't very easy to do and I can't imagine doing it if the aircraft is bucking and diving around during a fighter attack.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

...and then imagine a freezing cold environment and wearing a thick, so-called "Kanaljacke" - a thick jacket made from sheep skin (incl. wool!) and matching trousers. I have a replica of such a jacket, and it is clumsy, to say the least!

tigercat

just looked on evil bay Airfix Rotodynes are going for silly money  £40-80

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tigercat on July 02, 2018, 07:14:43 AM

just looked on evil bay Airfix Rotodynes are going for silly money  £40-80

Craziness Rules OK.  :banghead:

It's not THAT good a kit even, the Revell one, albeit in a 'fit the box' scale, is much better detailed.

The Airfix 'dyne is just unique in 1/72 scale.

Regards
Kit

TallEng

[/quote]

Yes, not quite sure what happened to that tail, perhaps I donated it to someone more needy than me? The same kit has TWO rotors in it too, very weird............
[/quote]

Presumably to build some sort of British kaman HH-43 huskie/kaman k-max synchropter type thing?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on July 02, 2018, 02:50:03 PM

Presumably to build some sort of British kaman HH-43 huskie/kaman k-max synchropter type thing?

Hmm, now there's an idea.  :thumbsup:

A double sized Huskie with Rotodyne type rotors would be a very practical device, even if it did take up oodles of shelf space.........

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Not a huge stretch either, Kaman would have been the US prime contractor for the Rotodyne.  You might get a Harrier II situation, improvements on the design being sold back to Britain.

Quote from: Mossie on January 31, 2011, 07:49:51 AM
Found a few bits of info on Secret Projects that seem to relate to Kaman studies on the Rotodyne.

The first one is an artists concept, note the fuselage fairings for the undercarriage, ducted fans & roof mounted intakes (similar to the K-140 below), otherwise it's clearly a Rotodyne.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1084.0.html

Kaman K-140.  Heavier than Rotodyne Z (all up weight for the Z was around 50,000lb), there are some differences in details such as the intakes on the roof (for tip jet gas exchangers?), slightly longer nose, different wing, tail & ramp arrangement.  Difficult to tell but overall dimensions seem slightly larger.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,731.msg5794.html#msg5794

Kaman K-141.  Similar to K-140, but with a conventional shaft driven rotor & long boom with twin tail rotors on a V-Tail.  I suspect it was a comparison to the K-140 using understood technology?

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Steel Penguin

that's a slightly worrying thought  :o though I suppose you could load SRAMS   :mellow:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 03, 2018, 10:24:11 AM

that's a slightly worrying thought  :o though I suppose you could load SRAMS   :mellow:

Specially for the crew!  :o

Regards
Kit