RNZAF 75th Anniversary A-1B+ Kārearea (Falcon), 2012 COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, June 23, 2018, 07:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 11, 2018, 05:55:45 PM
Really nice scheme! :thumbsup:

Agreed and a "greens" scheme fits well with New Zealand in my brain  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

A few more decals on last night.  The "75 Years" decal I had is smaller than I thought.  I thought it would fill a good part of the fin, but as you can see it's a good bit smaller (from a 1/72 Tornado F.3).  Still I like it and gives a good reason to go with full color markings instead of lo-viz.  The serial number is actually the first one allocated to the cancelled F-16A purchase, so I think it fits well.  The yellow diamond on the tail is a hand cut decal and it's a little thin so I've added another layer to make it more yellow that orange. 

I also had a Kinetic F-16A kit arrive yesterday with a great weapons set, meaning the loadout will now be two AIM-9Ms, two tanks and two AGM-119 Penguin Anti-Ship Missiles for the Maritime role. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Old Wombat

Good load-out! :thumbsup:

She's looking very nice, btw. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

AeroplaneDriver

Slow progress thanks t oa busy month at work, and a bit of a modeling disaster to boot. 

I'm not very happy with the yellow diamond decal on the red stripe on the tail, so I was experimenting with painting it on the other side...but idiot that I am I layed some masking tape over the "75 Years" decal and it peeled right off.    dammit.

So I have bitten the bullet and ordered decals for the actual 2012 RNZAF 75th Anniversary.  I got the 1/144 C-130 set as they seemed the best fit.  Unfortunately they are coming from NZ so ir may be a bit of a wait. 

So here is progress so far.  Some stenciling done, and the Penguin ASMs painted and awaiting decals. 

Old Wombat

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 23, 2018, 10:13:46 PM
...but idiot that I am I layed some masking tape over the "75 Years" decal and it peeled right off.    dammit.

Well, that was a bit silly! :rolleyes:

buzzbomb

silverwindblade

This is looking fantastic. Love the colours and the choice of armament too.
I want a set of Penguin missiles for some of my builds - it still amazes me that nobody produces them in resin as an aftermarket set. The only place I've seen them is in the same Kinetic F-16 yours came from.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

NARSES2

There were some Penguins in one of the Hasegawa sets, but that was 1/72. Not sure about 1/48
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

silverwindblade

None in the 48th Hase sets that I'm aware of, unfortunately.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

sykotik

Love that scheme! Reminds me of home  :thumbsup:

AeroplaneDriver

I was surprised too how hard it was to find Penguins.  I got lucky because while I was researching for this build I decided it would be fun to do an "as ordered" RNZAF F-16 to go with it.  Turned out the best option for that kit was the NATO Kinetic kit which coincidentally had Penguins. 

AeroplaneDriver

With work, travel, and waiting for decals from NZ this one has taken a bit longer than usual, but tonight it's officially close enough to post first pics.  Still a couple of fiddly bits to stick on and take better pics tomorrow, but it's near enough to proclaim it "done".

The kit is the Hobbyboss 1/48 A-1B AMX trainer.  I went together fairly easily and has a pretty nice level of detail.  Biggest complaint was the total lack of anything inside the intakes, just empty fuselage.  Problem solved with intake plugs.  They will also get a little more detailing tomorrow I think. 

But for now...

Old Wombat