Flying Heritage Combat Armor Museum Pacific Theater Day

Started by jcf, June 24, 2018, 09:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

A group of us from IPMS-Seattle were setup in Hangar 2, under White Knight, all day Saturday
June 23, as part of the club's outreach.

We've been doing it for the last couple of years at certain special events, we bring built models,
unbuilt kits, accesories, references etc., and models to work on while we talk to the guests about
the hobby.

We've gained a number of new members from this outreach, some modellers who were unaware
of the club, former modellers returning to the hobby, and a few folk who had never modelled and
are now giving it a go.

The current membership of IPMS-Seattle is currently somewhere north of 125, and the monthly
meeting attendance varies between an average of 55 to 70 and, depending on thetime of year,
occasionally crowds 100.

A few photos.

jcf

jcf

The A6M (it's a real one), the P-40 and the B-25 all flew together around 2:00PM. Along with an F8F,
TBM (in the Atlantic scheme), F4U, F6F, and an ersatz Zero T-6 conversion.
:thumbsup:
I got some video of them running up their engines and then taxiing out to the runway, including the
Corsair unfolding its wings. The round engine aircraft all sat for a considerable period of time warming
up, the P-40 was started last and only sat for about a minute before taxiing. They all made numerous
low passes over the runway and museum area in varying combinations and positions.
Lots of lovely noise.  :thumbsup:

My table, and of course I flew the flag, and received a lot of good feedback, with a couple folk
indicating they liked them best of what was on display.
;D :thumbsup:

Next up is FHCAM Skyfair on July 21st, followed by European Theater Day on Augus 25th.
I plane on being there for both. :thumbsup:

zenrat

Sounds like a healthy branch.  At the Model Car Club I attend we struggle to get into double figures.

Thanks for sharing the pics.  Looks like a good day.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Looks like an excellent event Jon, well done there.

That Mosquito looked rather unusual with both German and Japanese kill markings, did it really fly in both theatres?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

A really healthy club you've got there Jon, well done to you all  :thumbsup:

Some great pics, and like Kit I'm intrigued by the Mossie. I tried googling but just got John Wayne and Kirk Douglas mainly  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

The aircraft is T. Mk.III TV959, built in '45 in RAF service until '63, used in 633 Squadron.
Restored in NZ, it was overall silver with NZ markings when tested there, repainted
once it arrived in Everett. It will be flying on July 21st.

"During her test flights in New Zealand, the Mosquito flew in silver dope primer and temporarily marked
as a Royal New Zealand Air Force example, NZ2337. However, during the reassembly process in the USA,
museum technicians repainted her as an RAF FB.IV night intruder variant, NS838. She now has a full suite
of 20mm cannon and .303 machine guns. The real NS838 served in 605 'County of Warwick' Squadron.
During the period that Flt Lt Alan Wagner flew NS838, she gained the nickname 'Wags War Wagon', and
he officially became an ace in the aircraft during the night of March 5/6, 1944."

" ... Wagner who had downed two Aichi Val dive bombers while flying Hurricanes in Ceylon.  Flt. Lt. Wagner
had at least one V-1 kill flying the Mosquito, but was killed while chasing a V-1 in a Hawker Tempest in July

PR19_Kit

An interesting history, both of the Mossie and of Wagner himself. Thanks for the info.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 25, 2018, 01:12:23 PM
An interesting history, both of the Mossie and of Wagner himself. Thanks for the info.  :thumbsup:

Seconded  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.