DONE@p.3 +++ 1:72 Airco TR.2 of RAF 157 Sq., Battle of Amiens; July/August 1918

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 27, 2018, 12:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

We'll go way back in time with this one, right after the RAF's birth in early 1918. Things have to start somewhere.
This will be a slightly modified Revell Airco DH.2, as a very late WWI recce/attack aircraft.

Yes, I obviosuly have masochistic tendencies...  :rolleyes:

NARSES2

I built that when it first came out. My hand/eye co-ordination was obviously far better back then  ;)

Sensible for an attack aircraft, no pesky prop to get in the way of the guns  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

And with excellent view for the pilot, too. I also built one, when I was about 10 years old, with corresponding results, and I hope to get it better this time. Still a bit nervous, though...  :unsure:

zenrat

I think I also built one as a kid.  I remember building a DH2.  Did anyone else do one in the one true scale?

How about a trench strafer with downward pointing guns and an armoured tub?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Things started moving this morning, and since there's not much model to build I am already about to place the struts on the wings. The kit is, well, just what you should expect from a 50+ year old mold - lots of flash and cleaning, and no part seems to match any other. However, thanks to some modifications (e .g. external armor plates, rhinoplasty, different wheels from a Gloster Gladiator), most problem zones can be hidden or simply outmanoeuvered, but the wings and the tail between them make me nervous. The pilot figure is cool, though: the guy even has a mustache!

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Dizzyfugu

Some live pics; things start very OOB...

1:72 Airco TR.2 of the Royal Air Force 157 Squadron; Battle of Amiens, July/August 1918 (Whif/Revell kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...but soon things go astray, e .g. with a four blade propeller for a beefed-up engine:

1:72 Airco TR.2 of the Royal Air Force 157 Squadron; Battle of Amiens, July/August 1918 (Whif/Revell kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some more hp are required, because of the external armor plates that protect the pilot now:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Furthermore the nose recived a channel so that the machine gun can be tilted downwards by up to 60° for strafing attacks:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The landing gear has just been fixed:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And here's the pilot - looks pretty happy? Probably just had some afternoon tea and scones...  :o

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

;D

zenrat

Love the pilot.

Do you think the undercarriage would be up to the job?
Fred

NARSES2

In all honesty it's not that bad considering it's age, probably in better shape than me  :angel:

I can remember some kits of German WWI aircraft the pilot even had a dueling scar  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Some of those elderly Revell kits aren't as bad as one might expect.  Certainly better than the old Airfix Gladiator, dH 88 Comet and NARSES2's favourite, the RE8.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Dizzyfugu

Progress went on yesterday at interstellar speed: I got so far that not only the wings and tails could be attached, I even managed to finish painting by 90%! Well, it's not much aircraft to work with, but the paint scheme is ...complex, you'll see it soon. Just finished painting the struts final pre-rigging setp this morning, and this evening I expect to dive into rigging hell...

Well, and besides the lots of flash the kit is not as bad as expected - it went together (relatively) easily. You have to keep in kind that all twelve(!) wing struts are separate pieces, the whole thing is a wobbly affair. But I glued all the struts into place on the lower wing and the fuselage, and - once semi-dry - glued the upper wing to the four fuselage struts. Shaky affair. When this connection was more or less dry I pushed the long, outer struts into their respective attachment holes and glued them into place - and this method miraculously worked at the first attempt! Mounting the wobbly tail was then an easy task.

More pics to probably come this evening, when decals and wires come to play.

PR19_Kit

What are you hanging about at Thomas, it's the SECOND day of the build and you haven't even finished ONE model yet.......  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 02, 2018, 01:09:15 AM
Progress went on yesterday at interstellar speed: I got so far that not only the wings and tails could be attached, I even managed to finish painting by 90%! Well, it's not much aircraft to work with, but the paint scheme is ...complex, you'll see it soon.

Ah I take it your going to use something similar to the proposed schemes for the likes of the Dolphin etc ?

Dizzyfugu

Salamander (or, to be exact, a scheme that was proposed with the Orfordness Report E/30A). Similar role for what I want to nmake out of the DH.2