Saab/BAe Thunderbolt GR.3

Started by Devilfish, June 28, 2018, 01:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

After the cancellation of TSR2 and P.1154, there were holes in the UK and RAFG defences.  A collaboration with France looked promising, but talks broke down shortly after starting, when the two governments couldn't come to an agreement over several issues.
The MOD then started looking around for alternatives, mostly at America.  The F-4 Phantom was ordered, but due to the thinking that airfields would be the first things wiped out in the event of war, an aircraft that could use shorter, unprepared strips was needed.
Enter Saab, with their new Viggen aircraft.  The RAF evaluated it and it ticked all the boxes, so 150 were ordered.

I will be using the venerable Italeri (Airfix/Esci) kit. 

itl2785 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

NARSES2

Quote from: Devilfish on June 28, 2018, 01:15:32 AM
After the cancellation of TSR2 and P.1154, there were holes in the UK and GAFG defences.  A collaboration with France looked promising, but talks broke down shortly after starting, when the two governments couldn't come to an agreement over several issues.

Malvern or Perrier ?  ;)

Now this is a good idea  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Ref Viggens, the Swedish Air Force just re-flew their exhibition two-seater after a 7 yr. re-build.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

I have several photos of this one from the Swedish historical flight

DSC_0256 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

And this one at Newark Air Museum

DSCF0790_zpsimjept3w by Paul Carter, on Flickr
NAM V Bombers day 2018 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Devilfish

Aaaaaand, we're off!

First job is to do a bit of rescribing. Not really visible in the photos though...

Viggen by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Viggen by Paul Carter, on Flickr

I'm not adding a lot to the cockpit, just changing the seat.  Didn't take long to get the fuselage together..

2018-07-02_06-37-18 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Devilfish

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Devilfish

Got a bit more done.

20180708_224551 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Did a few modifications, to "Anglicise" it

20180708_224604 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Devilfish

Knightflyer

WOW!!!!  ;D That is looking REALLY good!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

That's certainly looking the part. :mellow: 54 Sqn?

It'd be nice to see a JA37 in air defence greys as a partner.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Cobra

the Viggen just seems to Fit wearing RAF Colors :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Doug K

Always liked the Viggen and this looks right