Saab/BAe Thunderbolt GR.3

Started by Devilfish, June 28, 2018, 01:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Now that REALLY looks the business!  :thumbsup:

Nice one Devilfish.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

You might be interested to know, that the Viggen was actually proposed to the RAF. Three different versions with various engine power.

The Spey powered one looks just like a regular Viggen.

This image curtesy of Aero-Militaria

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Very interesting indeed.  The Spey version looks to be able to fit in the available space.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Devilfish

Doug K

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 17, 2018, 04:42:53 AM
You might be interested to know, that the Viggen was actually proposed to the RAF. Three different versions with various engine power.

The Spey powered one looks just like a regular Viggen.

This image curtesy of Aero-Militaria

Oh, 2 engines 🙂

DogfighterZen

Thunderbolt is looking very good indeed! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

XV107

There's a short section on this in Robert Dorr's book on the Viggen (I think in the chapter called something like 'Viggens that never were'); IIRC, it suggests that there was a thought that a quid pro quo deal which'd see the RAF buying several squadrons of Viggens while the Swedes bought some Harriers in return.

kitnut617

Quote from: XV107 on July 17, 2018, 03:05:53 PM

There's a short section on this in Robert Dorr's book on the Viggen (I think in the chapter called something like 'Viggens that never were'); IIRC, it suggests that there was a thought that a quid pro quo deal which'd see the RAF buying several squadrons of Viggens while the Swedes bought some Harriers in return.

That's right, but that book came out after the article in Air-Britain's Aeromilitaria was published and revealed by Tony Buttler in 2016. The files were originally discovered by Clive Richards at Kew.

Devilfish

Quote from: XV107 on July 17, 2018, 03:05:53 PM

Swedish Harrier in Splinter.......... :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 17, 2018, 03:33:22 PM
The files were originally discovered by Clive Richards at Kew.

One wonders what else lies in those files ? I've spent time there helping a mate research his Grandfather's WWI record and with 10 days notice they had all his old regiment's war diaries ready for us in the reading room. One of the last great public services  :bow:

Only problem is that you have to know what you want to look at, although I suppose that could be a fairly broad area ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 18, 2018, 12:48:15 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on July 17, 2018, 03:33:22 PM
The files were originally discovered by Clive Richards at Kew.

One wonders what else lies in those files ? I've spent time there helping a mate research his Grandfather's WWI record and with 10 days notice they had all his old regiment's war diaries ready for us in the reading room. One of the last great public services  :bow:

Only problem is that you have to know what you want to look at, although I suppose that could be a fairly broad area ?

Chris Gibson, Tony Buttler and Phil Butler have all said they stumble on things while on a search for other things. Apparently it's all there, you just have to use the right search word(s) when you go there ----

NARSES2

Yup it's all down to the ancient, and often missunderstood, art of indexing.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AS.12

The Olympus was in contention with the JT8D for the original Viggen, the Swedes chose the latter for availability and commonality reasons.  And within a decade regretted it when the Indian deal was scuppered by the US State Department.