RAF Defiant

Started by NARSES2, June 28, 2018, 03:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

She's finished and was an enjoyable build.

In the summer of 1941 the Luftwaffe started some small scale night time raids on both Alexandria and Cairo from their bases in Crete. Now as far as the British in Egypt were concerned these were nothing more than of a nuisance value, however they were having an effect on an already restive civilian population. Agitators were spreading the word that the British could obviously not stop the Germans so it was time to rise up against them. Indeed there had already been some riots in Alexandria in particular which were taking much needed resources to contain.

Therefore in the early autumn it was decided that something had to be done about it, so 151 squadron and it's Defiants were shipped out, arriving a month or so latter.  After settling in at their new home plans were soon drawn up which would hopefully enable 151 to start tackling these raids.

However without the complex infrastructure that had been available during their defence of the U.K. this was easier said then done.

After a few fruitless weeks of attempted interceptions it was realised that in order to be successful more resources would be needed and 151 was temporarily stood down whilst the Air Staff in Cairo considered the problem. Come December 1941 and the supporting structure that had been put in place was considered sufficient to enable interceptions to once again be attempted and 151 was put on standby.

So on the night of 15th December everything clicked into place and the lone Ju 88 that had been expecting an easy ride over Alexandria was intercepted by a Defiant of 151 and was shot down. When this aircraft failed to return to its base in Crete it was initially thought it had become a victim to some kind of technical malfunction and it was until a second aircraft failed to return on 23rd December that the German's realised the British may have put night defences in place. This was confirmed by agents in Egypt and by the return of a heavily damaged Ju 88 on the night of 2nd January.

Whilst the raids continued for another couple of months they were gradually wound down and ceased entirely in the spring of 1942 when the bombers were transferred to the Eastern front. In the meantime a farther 3 had been lost and questions were being asked as to the cost effectiveness of these raids.

So 151 had done the job asked of it. They remained in Egypt for a couple of months before returning home to be reequipped with radar equipped Defiant Mk II's. Their aircraft were retained in Egypt and were eventually issued to air sea rescue flights for use in the waters off the coast of Arabia and the Horn of Africa.

One final point of interest is that 151 painted their Defiants in standard desert camouflage upper colours whilst retaining the black undersides. This may seem odd for a nightfighter of this period, but as they spent most of their time on the ground parked out in the open it seemed appropriate and indeed sensible and whilst some comments were made about "regulations" common sense prevailed.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That looks excellent Chris, and the desert scheme suits the Defiant pretty well too. I like the idea of retaining the black undersides, very logical.

And the backstory works well too.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Very nice, Chris! The scheme makes absolute sense. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

:thumbsup:
Looks good Chris.

Not nit picking, just curious, but did RW night fighters have the undercarriage wells painted black?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 28, 2018, 03:10:08 AM

Not nit picking, just curious, but did RW night fighters have the undercarriage wells painted black?

No idea mate, just followed the Airfix instructions  ;)

However given that the Mk I's would have been delivered in day fighter schemes and then been painted black when posted for night fighting duties, those responsible probably took the shortest path ?

The Mk II's which were delivered as night fighters could well have been different.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Ah, well if Airfix say they were that way...

;D ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tigercat

looks very plausible

Doug K

Like it! Mine to come tomorrow.

Glenn Gilbertson

That looks really good - and I liked the backstory. :thumbsup:

NARSES2

ysi_maniac

I have always liked Defiant and ... in these colours it looks GREAT.
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

Very nice Chris   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've always wondered what a Defiant would be like with a Martin turret with a pair of .5's. I might just do one like that ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 29, 2018, 07:42:49 AM
Very nice Chris   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've always wondered what a Defiant would be like with a Martin turret with a pair of .5's. I might just do one like that ---

Stop giving me ideas  ;D

If the concept had worked as those "up high" had originally envisaged it I can see a Griffon engine'd Defiant with a remote controlled turret ? And no I don't intend to build it, at least I think I don't ?  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 30, 2018, 02:58:59 AM

If the concept had worked as those "up high" had originally envisaged it I can see a Griffon engine'd Defiant with a remote controlled turret ? And no I don't intend to build it, at least I think I don't ?  ;D

Yeeeaaaah, go for it!  :thumbsup:

Even better, slot in the upper turret from a Shackleton and you've got 2 x 20 mm cannon back there.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Always good to see the Defiant in different clothes Chris. :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2018, 03:51:30 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 30, 2018, 02:58:59 AM

Yeeeaaaah, go for it!  :thumbsup:

Even better, slot in the upper turret from a Shackleton and you've got 2 x 20 mm cannon back there.

Your not getting out of it that easily! :angel:  Scroll down the page, there's a Griffon powered variant with a 20mm turret.  Lots of other goodies too, Sabre and Centaurus powered versions.  And the Airfix Shack comes with options to leave the turret out, so you can borrow the turret and still build it. :wacko:
http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,27707.45.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.