Bristol A-27 Intruder.

Started by zenrat, June 30, 2018, 09:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Bristol A-27 Intruder.

El Beau 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Named A-27 Intruder by the USAF and Beaufighter Mk 22 by the RAAF the Double Wasp powered variant of Bristol's design saw service in the Pacific theatre during the final year of WW2.

El Beau 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Following the end of the war surplus Australian aircraft were sold to Mexico who (adopting the American name) used them to suppress insurgents on their Northern border and to put down Baja California's far right independence movement (the so called Surf Nazis).

El Beau 9 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model.

Airfix Beaufighter TF X (new mould).
Pavla Resin Double Wasp R2800 engines
Hasegawa 5" HVARs (Grumman F9F Panther)
Decals from an Aztec Decals Juicy Jugs sheet.
Vallejo paint.

El Beau 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Very nice. And interesting idea. The surf nazis sound groovy. Anybody for armed dune buggies driven by stoned hippies?  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Come out well mate.  :thumbsup: It's a nice kit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

MOST glorrrrrrious.

I love it. Glad to see something in some overall brown, too.  ;D   Makes sense it would be on something Mexican. Aye aye aye ayyyeeeee! 

:party: :party: :party: :party:   

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Thanks guys.
It is a nice kit.  Certainly a vast improvement over the old mould.  You really have to pay attention to where you put paint though.  I kept it off of the joint faces where the glue went but didn't worry about places where parts were in contact but not glued - mistake.  A thickness of paint was enough to mess up the tolerances and I had to sand around the nose and bomb bay joints.

I'm not sure if it was worth the effort of doing the engine swap.  It's fairly subtle.  Maybe i'll stick it in Expo next year and see if anyone notices.
;D
Still, I bought the engines on a whim years ago and could never work out what to use them on until this.
It does give me engines to use on the next Sky Pirates flagship though which means that I now have all the parts required.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

comrade harps

Nothing wrong with subtle!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on July 01, 2018, 05:42:13 AM

I'm not sure if it was worth the effort of doing the engine swap.  It's fairly subtle.  Maybe i'll stick it in Expo next year and see if anyone notices.
;D

If we get an Expo whif table maybe we could plonk another re-engined Beaufighter next to it: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,37667.0.html

Whatever.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: comrade harps on July 01, 2018, 07:43:55 AM

;D

If we get an Expo whif table maybe we could plonk another re-engined Beaufighter next to it: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,37667.0.html

Cool.  From before I signed up here.

There is also my Merlin engined "Not a Mk IIF" which uses Lanc Nacelles.
http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42383.msg732375.html#msg732375

Fred

comrade harps

Quote from: zenrat on July 03, 2018, 08:58:28 AM
Quote from: comrade harps on July 01, 2018, 07:43:55 AM

;D

Cool.  From before I signed up here.

There is also my Merlin engined "Not a Mk IIF" which uses Lanc Nacelles.
http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42383.msg732375.html#msg732375

Blue and beautiful  :wub:
Whatever.