Hawker Siddeley Harrier B: Finished pics page 6.

Started by zenrat, July 01, 2018, 12:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowtrooper

Quote from: zenrat on August 18, 2018, 06:39:00 PM
Paint scheme could be grey/green wrap round or SEA camo as part of the RAFs Vietnam deployment...
SEA camo but using RAF colours? Dark Earth, Dark Green, Lichen Green uppers with Light Aircraft Grey lowers?

zenrat

PSR on the fuselage completed.
Woohoo!  :party: :drink: :party:

Turned my attention to the wings attaching the small fill in panels on the undersides adjacent to the roots and carving off the stabiliser wheel fairings at the tips.  Some filler will be needed there and some small infill panels.
I could have attached the infill panels today but it had dropped to 10℃ in my shed and my toes were cold so I went indoors and decaled the Boomerang.

Digging through the box of parts for this build (slightly confusing as the Academy and Hasegawa parts are moulded in almost exactly the same colour) I have found that while I have the Adens there do not appear to be any bombs and I have used the snebs on a RAN Banshee.
Never mind.  I have another unopened version of this Hasegawa Harrier (which, having experienced the terrible parts fit of this kit is destined to become parts) plus an Airfix GR3 which while I put its snebs on a RAN Seahawk still has a shedload of bombs.  I also have some Hasegawa napalm tanks in my weapons box.
I also have the nuke from the Airfix TSR2.  Hmmmmmmm...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Bear in mind that the small diameter 'bombs' in the Airfix Harrier kit are actually Lepus flares. That doesn't make them an invalid load for an RAF CAS aircraft of course...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Lepers flares?  I didn't know they wore specific trousers?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on August 20, 2018, 01:33:32 AM
Lepers flares?  I didn't know they wore specific trousers?

Well apparently they were bright orange so they must have looekd something like this:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Ah, fond memories.  :thumbsup:

I didn't have any orange ones though, mine tended to be various pseudo-tartans or dark blue.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I had a pair of royal blue ones  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

They don't make pants like them anymore...

...thank Cliff.

Wings sanded and attached today.  They will need PSR.
Harrier B WIP 21-08-2018 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
As it comes together it strikes me that from some angles it not be immediately noticeable that it is a whiff.  In order to put this to my advantage when attempting to bamboozle, perplex and confuse it might therefore pay me to paint it in a RW Harrier scheme.
Fred

TallEng

Quote from: zenrat on August 21, 2018, 02:08:24 AM
As it comes together it strikes me that from some angles it not be immediately noticeable that it is a whiff.  In order to put this to my advantage when attempting to bamboozle, perplex and confuse it might therefore pay me to paint it in a RW Harrier scheme.

That sounds an enimently sound suggestion  :thumbsup:
Which should be acted upon using suitably accurate references :wacko:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcx2CxoT8Ear3t1w7uTZdq8e9voshcj_oCCjd2UcRuZGoYkg
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

zenrat

I was thinking of this scheme...
Fred

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on August 21, 2018, 02:08:24 AM
They don't make pants like them anymore...

Got news for you: that pic was from a current retail site....

Why not put it in an arctic scheme, since those are particularly good at breaking up the outline anyway?

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

I have a plan for an RAF arctic scheme build.  Not a Harrier though.  It's based on one of your profiles...

I put a touch more filler on the wing roots today.
Fred

NARSES2

Overall primer strikes again and brings it all together  :thumbsup:

It looks surprisingly "right" as well  :rolleyes: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on August 22, 2018, 03:07:08 AM
I have a plan for an RAF arctic scheme build.  Not a Harrier though.  It's based on one of your profiles...

That narrows it down er... quite a lot actually... ;)

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Tails now attached.  I had to move them back somewhat to avoid them fouling the fuselage round the jet pipe.
This necessitated making a small infill piece to go between them which will need filler.
I also attached the Aden cannon.  These had to be moved forwards to clear the new main undercarriage wells.  Once again, some filler will be needed.
I then had a sneezing fit and had to go back indoors.
Harrier B WIP 25-08-2018 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred