Hawker Siddeley Harrier B: Finished pics page 6.

Started by zenrat, July 01, 2018, 12:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Other than some small touch ups this is finished.
Back story is written, I just need to take some beauty pics.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Hawker Siddeley Harrier B

Harrier B 015 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Developed in parallel with the V/STOL Harrier A (or Harrier Jump Jet as it was popularly known) the Harrier B was a conventional close air support and nuclear strike aircraft designed to share as many components as possible.
Harrier B 013 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Lighter, simpler and cheaper than the A model, the Harrier B was also much faster due to its Bristol Siddeley Pegasus 8 High Bypass Turbofan being equipped with an afterburner.
Harrier B 003 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Due to it's comparative simplicity the B model was ready for operational trials before the A and following acceptance entered service with the RAF on April 1st 1968, a year before its more complicated sibling.  As it filled the RAFs light strike requirements its adoption led to BACs withdrawal from SEPECAT.  This in turn led to the cancellation of the whole Jaguar programme and years of legal battles ultimately culminating in Breguet becoming BACs major shareholder in lieu of damages.
Harrier B 004 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
In RAF service Harrier Bs outnumbered A models 2:1 but export sales efforts were less successful.  This was in the main due to the fact that while the commonality of components between A & B models simplified maintenance, logistics & procurement, and reduced costs if you operated both aircraft; if however you operated only the B model then the design compromises made in order to facilitate the A models V/STOL operation meant maintenance complications (engine removal and replacement for example) and increased costs instead.  This fact swung purchasing decisions towards other options such as the Super Etendard, Mirage F-1 and Mitsubishi F-1.
Indeed, the only overseas customers operating the Harrier B as a standalone strike option are Oman and Nigeria.  The A + B package however was successfully sold to a number of countries including Australia (both RAAF and RAN FAA), Canada, India and Equador.
Harrier B 007 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
General characteristics
Crew: One
Length: 47 ft 8 in (14.55 m)
Wingspan: 25 ft 3 in (7.70 m)
Height: 11 ft 4 in (3.45 m)
Empty weight: 10,000 lb (5,400 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 26,000 lb (11,800 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Bristol Siddeley Pegasus 8 high bypass turbofan with afterburner
Dry thrust: 21,800 lbf (97.0 kN)
Thrust with afterburner: 32,700 lbf (145.5 kN)
Performance
Maximum speed: Mach 1.6 (1,699 km/h, 917 knots, 1,056 mph) at 11,000 m (36,000 ft)
Combat radius: 908 km (490 nmi, 564 mi) (lo-lo-lo, external fuel)
Ferry range: 3,524 km (1,902 nmi, 2,190 mi)
Service ceiling: 14,000 m (45,900 ft).
Climb to 9,145 m (30,000 ft): 1 min 30 sec.
Armament
Guns: 2× 30 mm (1.18 in) ADEN cannon pods under the fuselage.
Hardpoints: 6× under-wing & 1× under-fuselage pylon stations with a capacity of 6,000 lb (2,320 kg) and provisions to carry combinations of:
Rockets: 7× Matra rocket pods with 18× SNEB 68 mm rockets each.
Missiles: 4× AIM-9 Sidewinders Air-to-air missiles.
Bombs: A variety of unguided iron bombs & napalm tanks, BL755 cluster bombs or laser-guided bombs & napalm tanks.
Others:
1× Reconnaissance pod.
5× drop tanks for extended range/loitering time.
Harrier B 011 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Model
Hasegawa Harrier GR1
Hasegawa MiG 27
Harrier B 016 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Dizzyfugu

That's nice, even though not obvious. I guess it's the wide, original air intakes that make it still look very Harrier-ish? I like the MiG-23/27 landing gear a lot, well done.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Thanks Dizz.
It was very hard to photograph and have it look different.  It's a bit of a stealth whiff.  I'm looking forward to entering it at Model Expo next year.     ;D
Fred

Old Wombat

Nice one, Fred! :thumbsup:

Should have a few judges & punters scratching their heads. :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

jalles

Awesome job! It's subtle, but it still causes me to double take. Particularly the picture from the back where you can see the exhaust!  :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

That's badass, I love it...  it turned out great!
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Cracking job there Fred, it REALLY looks the part!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

I don't know why; but I was expecting a two-seat Harrier, side-by-side ...
but whatever my misunderstanding (whcich could be a not bad idea),
it certainly looks good, and alternative !

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Fred

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

zenrat

Fred

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.