Vulture B.1 ---- (RAF B-58 Hustler), 1/72 **FINISHED PICS PG 14**

Started by TheChronicOne, July 02, 2018, 02:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

Of course if it failed in its primary role and just became a form of transport it could be the Vanforhire

Ok I'm going....
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

AS.12

Quote from: steelpillow on July 04, 2018, 04:44:12 AM
...  how about Vendetta, Vindicator, Violator, Vitriol or Vitriolic, Vulture...

Vulture would actually fit quite well with Merlin ( F-111K ) and Eagle ( TSR.2 ) in that line of Air Ministry thinking.

Other ideas:

Vajra
"As a hurled weapon the indestructible thunderbolt (the Vajra) blazed like a meteoric fireball across the heavens, in a maelstrom of thunder, fire and lightning. "

Vincent
Harking back to the Vickers Vincent :)

Leading Observer

Quote from: Bungle on July 04, 2018, 08:52:21 AM
Of course if it failed in its primary role and just became a form of transport it could be the Vanforhire

Ok I'm going....

TV shows tumbleweed blowing down an empty street............
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D   @ comments.

;D

For now, I've managed to clip out the fuselage halves, wings, and a couple engine nacelles. I've also trimmed away some superfluous sprue and did a bit of filing and sanding on burrs here and there to "get ahead of the game." Later on when I clip them off fully, half of the clean up is already done!

I've done said clean-up on the main gear parts and nose gear parts as well and glued it all together. That turned a great many parts into just a couple.

I've also taken the nose piece and cleaned it up and started cramming weight inside. BBs this time with superglue and PVA to fill in the voids.

At some point soon I need to think about how I'm going to address the main cockpit glass and interiors. Should be a simple affair for the most part on this one... I think I can go ahead and paint all of the insides, close it up, and later when I prime, it won't hurt anything. I can either stuff some sponge in the main windscreen opening or glue it on early and mask it.  I'll figure that out later but like I said, time to start contemplating it at least.

It's good to be getting work done on a GB build at the beginning, rather than the end!   :mellow:

EDIT:  I've taken a decent lot of pictures of all this crap but my camera/phone has ate-shat and not working at the moment so use your imagination....    :-\   I'm currently investigating buying a new, dedicated digital camera.
-Sprues McDuck-

AS.12

I'm glad we haven't put you off building it!

Just thinking, since it's the twin-stick variant I suppose the RAF designation would be something like  <whatever> B.Mk.1(T)

steelpillow

Quote from: AS.12 on July 04, 2018, 10:47:13 PM
Just thinking, since it's the twin-stick variant I suppose the RAF designation would be something like  <whatever> B.Mk.1(T)

Should not need the (T) if it is an operational type developed from the trainer. No doubt MoD would not have been able to keep their sticky fingers out and would have specified a shedload of internal equipment changes, not least Rolls-Royce engines, just as they did with the Phantom.
Cheers.

Devilfish

How about Viceroy B mk1?  It's a "V" and very British....

Cobra

with your B-58 Project,what about using the Name Vexilator or Vulcanis? would either one work for You? Dan

TheChronicOne

Aye!! It's good to be under way!!!

This is the third time I've seen "Viceroy", first suggested by nighthunter. I've been rolling these names around in my mind a bit and this one does seem to fit the bill. Still in no hurry on that, though. Still plenty of time.  :wacko:

Indeed, while this kit is of the trainer type, I can explain away the trainer aspect of the aircraft and simply say the ministry preferred its operational bombers to have two cockpits for when the bombers were on long term patrol in near war time events where one pilot may need to rest while the other takes over flying. I guess that means it refuels, etc.  ;D  But anyway....   It could also still be an operational trainer like the box says in which case an added "T" would be snazzy in the designation.  :unsure: :mellow:

Next round of work will be to finish up the last bit of gluing the gear together and then I'll paint the interiors and start heading toward getting the fuselage closed up. It'll be nice to have the main components put together to see how big this is. For 1/72 it's sort of large but I think I fit it on my desk to work on without having to totally re-arrange the entire universe. It's going to make my poor lil cutting matt look pathetic.  :angel: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

In the 50s and 60s the RAF tended to use just a 'T' to designate trainer variants.

For instance the Canberra trainer was a T4, not a B2(T) or a TB6 etc. and Valiants, Victors and Vulcans didn't need special trainer variants as they all had two sticks and side by side seating anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AS.12

Didn't the T-Canberras have rearranged innards though?  Two driver seats squeezed into the goldfish bowl.  I don't think they were used for ops hence the T-only designation.

The B-58 usually only had one stick, the TB had two and ejection seats instead of the capsules.  Dunno why that was.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AS.12 on July 05, 2018, 08:19:56 AM

Didn't the T-Canberras have rearranged innards though?  Two driver seats squeezed into the goldfish bowl.  I don't think they were used for ops hence the T-only designation.

It did, yes, but it wasn't a TB4 or a B4(T).

I can't think of a single RAF training aircraft that had a pre or post 'T'. Even the Harrier trainers, which did retain some operational capability, were only T2s, T4s and T10s etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Sorta leaning on "B.1 Viceroy" or "Viceroy B.1" at this point. I think the second one is correct ordering? It's early... coffee hasn't kicked in yet...   ;D        I'll dispense with the trainer aspect all together in name and in practice. It'll just be a straight bomber and that solves all that conundrum.

I was liking Valhalla as well, always have, but is it Bri'ish enough? Some other good names up there too so nothing solid YET.  :mellow:

Work will continue on this at some point today. I need to get at least little bits and pieces of stuff done on the other 5 builds I have going right now, though, or I'll feel guilty and the stalled builds will start piling up.....    but after that, I've three or 4 things to glue to finish the gear (I didn't want to the other day because all the wheels were still wobbly and I want to keep them all straight and level) then I will paint the interior and probably add more weight. I can't find my scales so I'm having to guess at it then add more for safe margin. After that, though, I can glue the fuselage together then start to put the deltas together then while all that stuff dries get back to messing with more fiddly parts. Engines probably, or painting the canopy.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Wait... what?! 

93,000 views?  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   

This must be coming from general internet google/etc searches...    ;D ;D   or something...   :unsure:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 06, 2018, 01:31:35 AM

I think the second one is correct ordering?

Correct, that's the way the RAF do it anyway.

Regards
Kit