Vulture B.1 ---- (RAF B-58 Hustler), 1/72 **FINISHED PICS PG 14**

Started by TheChronicOne, July 02, 2018, 02:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I think I'll just keep it the same, like the high end Bri'ish motorcar.  ;D ;D  Of course, I ain't made my mind up yet, either. I still like your first one and a couple others are decent and I still have a long way to go building the thing.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Working on the engines right now. I broke out the silver enamel paint to paint the engine cone things. I'll let those dry awhile then I can assemble the nacelles. I'll leave the exhaust tips off til after I paint said nacelles to keep from having to mask them. Simple operation!

Looking at my instructions, the stuff left aside from doo-dads and clear parts are the wee parts that go onto the undercarriage, armament, and the pod thing (might be a couple other things). This got me to thinking... the plane itself is gorgeous but most times we see it with the obese pod thing on it. This kit would even have me hanging bombs and stuff off the wings. All of this is very cool, but, I was thinking about making this sucker "clean" with nothing hanging, just the airplane itself. It's a lazy approach, granted, but saves a lot of time and I truly believe there is merit in making one of these as an airframe and engines with nothing more. Then again, I can't help but think how cool things like this DO look with all that stuff....   :unsure: :unsure:

I think I'm through for now, though. I'll put this stuff away and contemplate my next move..... :unsure:
-Sprues McDuck-

steelpillow

You could do a kind of semi-diorama, with a whiffy spaceplane on a trolley next to it, awaiting loading. Shows off both beasties to advantage.
Cheers.

zenrat

You're right Brad C...

..looks great without the "bomb".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That photo has always fascinated me. I always have this thought that the aircraft is a model as it just doesn't look large enough compared to the crew in my brain ? Never been able to shake it off. Needed to see a B-58 in the flesh I suppose.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Here's something to help you decide: http://randolphbrewercom.fatcow.com/b58/history_offensive.php

From what I understand, the B-58 was unable to carry offensive ordnance internally.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 31, 2018, 08:40:37 AM

Here's something to help you decide: http://randolphbrewercom.fatcow.com/b58/history_offensive.php

From what I understand, the B-58 was unable to carry offensive ordnance internally.

It didn't have any 'internals' to carry anything in anyway. Apart from the cockpits of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Looking like a pod or the two pods are vital systems to the aircraft.  Although, I am curious, in reading on the MB-1C pod, the whole thing would be released when time to drop the nuke so......  what happens to the now fuel-tank-less B-58? I'm sure it couldn't fly too far with whatever fuel was left in the system or stored in the wings or was there just enough in the wings to get it home or... how does it work?

Magnificent page linkage there, Wombat. Thank you kindly. I'll be looking around in there for awhile today just for funsies.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

LOTS of fuel in the fuselage though, it doesn't have to carry anything else.

They used up the fuel in the various pods first and then switched to the fuselage and wings tanks. Plus they always flew with tankers strategically placed to get them out and back too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Thanks!!  :lol:

So, I COULD, potentially, model one of these without any pod and it would be plausible.  :unsure:  Reading up on this stuff, though, the pods are so cool. I like the double TCP. I need to look at the stuff in my kit and see what I have. I guess the bombs in the kit are nukes so....  gotta have those.  ;D  But, I'm wondering the option for the TCP is in there.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

If it's the Italeri kit it comes with the two unit pod and four separate nukes to hang under the belly.

At least I think so, I've got that kit too, but it's a LONG time since I've seen it.

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 31, 2018, 07:11:24 AM
That photo has always fascinated me. I always have this thought that the aircraft is a model as it just doesn't look large enough compared to the crew in my brain ? Never been able to shake it off. Needed to see a B-58 in the flesh I suppose.

Having seen the B-58 in person in a museum setting, it is indeed strange aircraft to size up, it seems both small and large at the same time, if that makes any sense.  I think the main reason is that it sits so high up, and has low slung engines which makes it seem bigger than it really is.  But it is not overwhelming large compared to other medium aircraft, and some of the big tactical aircraft like the F-105 and F-111. The fuselage cross section is like a big tactical fighter.  Overall it seemed bigger than I would have imagined, and undoubtedly impressive from every angle. And the tires look like they belong on a go-cart.   The one at the USAF museum is next to the B-36 and the B-47 so it does not seem that big next to them, but by itself I was again thinking it was bigger than I imagined from pictures.  Highly recommended to see one in person. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2018, 12:39:05 PM
If it's the Italeri kit it comes with the two unit pod and four separate nukes to hang under the belly.

At least I think so, I've got that kit too, but it's a LONG time since I've seen it.
That's the one. I know it has bombs and the MB1 pod but I still need to look at it closer to see if it has the TCP. If it does, it'll be nice having the big pod in the spares for something else!
-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

You could add an in-flight refueling probe to your model, either fitted to the nose or carried under one of the wings.

AS.12

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 31, 2018, 08:40:37 AM

"The warhead unit could be retained while discarding the lower fuel pod. "

I'll bet the switch checklist for that operation was really thorough!

Also of note, that page discusses the cancelled MC-1 photo-recce pod.  However B-58s from the 43rd BW flew low-level recce missions over Alaska in March 1964 following the earthquake, using 'their special camera pods'.   Those were the LA-331 pods which were standard MB-1Cs with the warhead removed and replaced with a pivoting pano camera.