Vulture B.1 ---- (RAF B-58 Hustler), 1/72 **FINISHED PICS PG 14**

Started by TheChronicOne, July 02, 2018, 02:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Not back then but there's the Beechcraft AT-6 Wolverine today ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 04, 2018, 03:37:25 PM

Would it have had a 15" gun turret in that case?  ;D ;)

Well it would fit the build as the turrets and guns were older then the RAF. They came from Courageous and Glorious when they were converted to aircraft carriers  ;D

I've often wondered where the RN kept all the turrets and guns it stored over the years and if as a designer you were jjust allowed to wander around and pick one that looked right for your design  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

This article simply says Vanguard's turrets were kept "in store" before being "shipped to Scotstoun for refurbishment at the former Coventry Ordnance Works , now operated by Harland & Wolff .  They were then shipped in VANGUARD only a few miles down the Clyde in 1944".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

Top photo Proposed version for Australia with iron bombs, still has the pod for fuel, but shows likely placement for iron bombs.

lower photo, slightly enlarged and "significantly" more powerfull B-58B version for USAF. No pod.  Iron bombs were tested in 1967.   

The pod on the was really needed for any type of respectable range, but perfectly fine to display yours without for a "show" aircraft.

Source, Aerograph 4 Convair B-58, page 89 by Jay Miller -an excellent reference.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

steelpillow

Depending on whether or not you want to whiff the laws of physics, those four iron bombs under the trailing edge would seriously destabilise the plane. The centre of lift of a supersonic delta is surprisingly far forward at subsonic speeds and moves back to approx. 50% root chord position at high supersonic speeds. Those four at the back would make it tail-heavy and longidtudinally unstable at subsonic speeds.
Might just be able to squeeze one in ahead of the others and offset a fraction outboard. Could also add a pylon between the engines, forward-raked to mount one clear of the inboard exhaust plume. That restores the dozen it was proposed to carry.
But IMHO it would also spoil its magic lines and a follow-up project to whiff the big pod into a spaceplane would be soo much cooler.
Cheers.

Weaver

The 'simple' solution would be to turn the pod into the world's biggest cluster bomb, with 250lb Mk.81 'submunitions'  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

AS.12

How about a few underslung Shrikes and a big tank for a Black Buck mission?

NARSES2

Right a couple of basic questions if I may, generated by the Australian proposal photo.

I assume the bombs are 500lb or 1,000lb ? Otherwise it seems like a lot of aeroplane for a small bomb load ?

The other is why are the front two bombs not paired ? Or is it simply that this proposal simply shows one possible option ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 06, 2018, 07:39:23 AM
The other is why are the front two bombs not paired ? Or is it simply that this proposal simply shows one possible option ?

I'd confidently hazard that it's because of the ruddy great fuel tank getting in the way.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 06, 2018, 07:39:23 AM
Right a couple of basic questions if I may, generated by the Australian proposal photo.

I assume the bombs are 500lb or 1,000lb ? Otherwise it seems like a lot of aeroplane for a small bomb load ?

I assume the single row is to allow them to be dropped without hitting the still attached pod. More room aft for double wide.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

I forgot about that rather large tank  :banghead:

Old Wombat

After I replied to your question, Chris, I was having a bit of a think about the inefficiency of that set-up & it occurred to me that a conformal belly fuel tank with cut-outs for semi-recessed bombs would be a more efficient means of having the Hustler carrying conventional munitions than that shown.

You could do the same for the fuselage, too, perhaps with removable panels over the cut-outs to preserve the lines of the aircraft when not carrying bombs.

The conformal fuel tank would also make for a great PR or ECM modular pod system, too.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Weaver on August 08, 2018, 05:11:43 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 08, 2018, 04:19:12 AM
Passenger pod?

It was seriously(?) proposed:

That would be one LOUD ride.    ;D

I am currently looking for a B-58 in 1/144 to turn into an airliner, just so happens. . . . . . . .. .  ;D :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-