Vulture B.1 ---- (RAF B-58 Hustler), 1/72 **FINISHED PICS PG 14**

Started by TheChronicOne, July 02, 2018, 02:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I finally managed some good work on this today.

I filed/sanded smooth the seams on all the engine nacelles. Next up will be to do a wee bit of masking around the front then cover the intake so I can prime it. After that, one portion will get camo top and light grey (or white, whatever the hell it is) bottom and the rear half will be NMF. I'd like to do the varying shades of panels stuff but time may have me pressed.

I've also glued the two rear canopies to the right fuselage halve. This.... wow... was a hell of a lot more problematic than I envisioned thanks to multiple things like the small middle section of fuselage that protrudes upwards and sits between two cockpits being warped and fitment not being quite correct in the way of gaps. I had to use clamps and stuff and it's not pretty so I'll be needing to go back and fix it but at least they're on now.

In other news, I glued the clear roof piece of the main cockpit to the clear windscreen piece and also masked all the windows in this stuff.

Lastly, the glorious delta wings have been glued together.

I think next I'll be on the safe side and put more weight in it then I can prime the forward parts of this stuff, glue in the remaining windows, then mask that over and glue the fuselage halves together.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, earlier just kind of joking around thinking to myself I was thinking of "funny" V names for the Bomber and came up with 3 so far:

-Vociferous
-Vehement
-Voluptuous

:unsure: ;D

Then it struck me to go to the other end of the spectrum to the "dark" and "sinister" and came up with:

-Villain or Villainy
-Violence

:wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

'Virago'?

An 'argumentative or vituperative woman' might seem a strange choice for a vehicle name, but there is a long series of Yamaha motorbikes with this name so someone must think it appropriate, and given the B-58's maintenance difficulties, you might imagine ground crew calling it all manner of related names...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Or there's the V word that rhymes with regina... :o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

What?  It's the correct anatomical word.  I heard it used in the first 30 seconds of an episode of Chicago Med just the other night.
And anyway, you can't tell me I was the only one thinking it...

You are right about the wings Brad C, they are glorious.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on August 13, 2018, 11:01:00 PM
vituperative

Just had to look up what that meant too  ----- why the heck would anyone call a vehicle a virago --   :o :o :o   :-X :-X :-X
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Ha!!!    The Vajajay. Then, if there is only one log book in the plane, they could call it the ... Vagina Mono-Log.   ;D      I'll see myself out....    (those outside the US may not have heard of this, Vagina Monologue was a play or some malarkey that had women ...reciting poetry or something about "you guessed it."  )  Some weird Oprah afair.

BUT ANYWAY... I had to look up Virago and instantly love it. If it didn't sound Italian could be on the short list.  ;D  Excellent.  :mellow:

I also had to look up "vituperative." Man... these "sinister" v words all have a way of working together.

"A vehemently vituperative virago had a voluptuous volume of violence. "    :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 14, 2018, 07:21:14 AM
Neat masking
Thank you!!!  I came extremely close to cutting my finger off this time. Scarey stuff, I need to be careful. But yes, very good result!
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 14, 2018, 07:35:38 AM
Vagina Monologue

It's actually "The Vagina Monologues"  :angel: Quite a famous work. Over 20 years ago now and had quite an impact. Now it's even put on by local am-dram groups.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 14, 2018, 07:40:51 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 14, 2018, 07:35:38 AM
Vagina Monologue

It's actually "The Vagina Monologues"  :angel: Quite a famous work. Over 20 years ago now and had quite an impact. Now it's even put on by local am-dram groups.
I had no idea it was that widely known! Shows what I know.. not exactly something I would be aware of anyway. Damn.. has it been 20 years already!?!  I do remember well all the hype and media coverage and Oprah all over the place, etc. Time flies.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

More progress. All the innards are in.

More lead, too.  :wacko:

Now, it's all glued up. I'll mask the windows over and start PSR. The cockpit canopies are having terribad fitment so that will take some work. Otherwise, won't be too much of an ordeal. Aside from the canopies and some poor fitment issues on a couple of the interior parts (that caused some drama that I had to solve with a very large clamp) the fitment is really good. The upper and lower seams should clean up really well. The wing seams sure did and it was a breeze to fix to them.

Anyway... after the sanding is done I'll glue on the main canopy then the wings and do the PSR on those areas and it'll be ready for primer! Then it's on to paint and all that's after that, really, is the gear work. Of course, there will be a million little thing to address between now and then such as the tail gun, etc. But...... good part is, I think I'm on schedule and won't be facing down a deadline like I did last time with my Sea Eagle.
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 14, 2018, 05:27:51 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 13, 2018, 11:01:00 PM
vituperative

Just had to look up what that meant too  ----- why the heck would anyone call a vehicle a virago --   :o :o :o   :-X :-X :-X

Well apparently the original meaning was 'female warrior' and it only acquired the negative connotations later. My guess is that someone at Yamaha had a Japanese to English dictionary that used, or at least emphasised, the older definition, and English speakers further down the line just assumed it was a made-up word.

When the Virago line finally ended, they replaced it with a new series of bikes to fill the same niche. These had more of a dragster-bike styling (allegedly) and were the new stars of the show, so they called them the Dragstar.... which reminds me: I've been meaning to ask the mods for a facepalm smiley....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

Reminds me of when Reebok released a model of women's shoe called the "Incubus."    --- A demon that rapes women while they sleep. That didn't last very long.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Working on the less than stellar fitment of the canopies and the seams. The upper seam is pretty good aside from the stuff on the nose. The bottom suffers from a weird situation involving a bit of bowing of the fuselage halves.... in two directions, outward/inward and also up/down. It was very awkward but I clamped it the best I could but I couldn't come up with the right combination of clamps to get the seam to stay cinched so there is a gap down there. I'll fill it in and everything will be fine but it's frustrating none the less.

Not real pretty right now. All fixable, though!  :lol: :mellow:  I'm not getting in any hurry on this, but, eventually it will be done and I can finally glue the wings on. That will be pretty fun. I'm eager to see this actually looking like an airplane.  :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-