Vulture B.1 ---- (RAF B-58 Hustler), 1/72 **FINISHED PICS PG 14**

Started by TheChronicOne, July 02, 2018, 02:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 24, 2018, 05:03:28 PM
...The registration number will likely be very wrong...but there's alway the one, "Oh, but, that registration would never be on a bomber!!!  :rolleyes:    " ...

Much to my disappointment that has never happened to me.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 25, 2018, 04:32:37 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 24, 2018, 05:03:28 PM
...The registration number will likely be very wrong...but there's alway the one, "Oh, but, that registration would never be on a bomber!!!  :rolleyes:    " ...

Much to my disappointment that has never happened to me.

Nor me  :rolleyes:

To be honest I don't really bother with serial numbers to that extent. As long as the ones I use (and I don't always use them) are from roughly the right period then I'm happy. After all if my Wif had been real then the aircraft the serials are from might not have seen service or been part of a different purchase order ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Thanks! I feel better being in good company.  :mellow:    This type of thing normally drives ME crazy (not to rivet-counting levels, but still... ) and I'm trying not to get bogged down and lose hours to some superflous battle to secure proper letters and numbers instead of taking the 60 second short cut of simply using already assembled ones in the correct size and etc.

Speaking of, I'll be trying all this tomorrow! I have everything I need to make a perfectly acceptable round of decorations to include all the roundels, the fin flash, the registration numbers, and I even cut the ends off of some old Soviet stars to use as those red "hey there's an ejections seat here!" warning placards. I might have another look through some more of the transfers stash to see if I can find some simple little decorations or something but being that this is camo anyway and meant to hide it would be uncouth to put large or bright decorative stuff on it.

So... transfers go on, paint the gear doors and exhaust nozzles, glue that stuff on, glue on the engines, glue on and paint the antenna thing, uhhh..... paint the NMF on the engines (after black of course) then uhhh... the second coat of clear, likely to be matte or satin? If I gloss it it will match my other plane with the same scheme but where similarly painted Bri'ish bombers painted gloss or flat? 

Cheers!!!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Lots and lots more done on this one today including painting the gear doors and finished painting the engines even. Lots of other little odds and ends that I don't care to try to remember or list but we're down to the very end, for sure.

In fact, all the transfers are on. Well, to the point where I could stop putting more on but I'll most likely find some more placards and stencils and try to come up with a wee bit of decorative flair some how. As it sits, though, it has all the roundels, flash, plane number, and red ejection seat warnings. I could get by with just this stuff but it will be BETTER with more so rather than force this into completion I think I'll plan for another day of work on it a couple days from now.  :lol:

I couldn't help myself and took a small preview picture:

I'll un-mask the engines here in a bit as well, and if they don't like sky-turds I'll take a picture of one or two of them. I don't think that would spoil much and would be interesting to look at.

So, anyway....  I need to finish putting transfers on. Clear it once more. Glue the engines on, glue the gear doors on, and lastly glue on that antenna mast thing and paint it and this will be done!   :laugh:

EDIT:  I say that that list is all that is left but I suspect it will be quite a bit more. I just remembered I have to peel the masking away and at this point I'm going to have to run a hobby knife around it all so it doesn't strip paint off with it so... that's just one thing of probably a few more. STILL... it's getting very close.  :rolleyes: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

That's looking VERY promising!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 26, 2018, 11:21:20 PM
That's looking VERY promising!  :thumbsup:

What the esteemed Man in the Hat said! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Thanks!  Seems pretty good so far. I've been half-arsing things and cutting corners to get it done though, so I hope they don't show up later. We'll see. That would be a bummer!  I have GOT to remember next growing season (busy work season) to not have 50 billion builds going (5-6 lol  ). I was going to try it this year but I got carried away like a little kid in the toy store!  :lol: ;D

I'll finish this sucker off tomorrow I do believe. I stopped short of un masking the engines yesterday so I'll do that and hopefully they look alright. Then all the rest. What seems like an hour's worth of work may wind up taking all day. I suspect it probably will but I have at least one thing I need to paint. Still have the carve out the masking tape...  etc.

Sure will be nice to see it with the engines on..
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Time to finish this.... "Vulture B.1 " ?

More transfers on then another coat of clear then it's time to wrap up all the loose ends.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quick update: All the transfers are on and now I'm going to do two quick little painting details then I'll glue on all the doors and that antenna, paint it, then gloss it again. Yes, gloss. I got out of step on the engines and now I can't add a second, what would be flat, clear coat to them (silver paint will not take it) so it will be glossy so the plane and the engines match. That's cool though, because it will match my little Flying Ram!!!!   :wub: :wub:    Besides... people say..... camo will be or should be flat... but uhh... I've seen plenty of real world birds with camo that were very shiny indeed soooooo........  :::SHRUG:::

Anyway....   this might be the last "filler" photo, but it's a good one. An SST concept (I like these much better as airliners than the pod thing being used to carry people...   I doubt many people would want to ride in such a thing anyway!!!  Nutty people like us but "normies" would be like, "You want me to right in that bomb?!!?!??"  )    ;D ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Stalled out here.....  been over an hour since I got anything done. The looooooooooong day has caught up with me. Up at 3AM then worked 9 hours straight without even stopping for lunch. Now the sun is setting so needless to say my energy has gone out the window by now. BUT I'm not done yet. I'm going to try to get this finished.

One more problem here at the end.... no sun, no outside pictures. Laaaaaaame....   I'll do what I can inside, though!  :lol:

Going to try to re-motivate, here. I find myself distracted, however. Doing a re-watch of Band of Brothers and Easy company is in the Eagles Nest. But uhhh.... I'll try not to let it slow me down too much.

Look for me in 1 hour. That's my new self-appointed deadline. If I can get over my lazy-bone, I'll have some pictures of this thing. PLEASE GOD DON'T LET THERE BE A DISASTER UNDER THE MASKING...

Only things left now are: 

*Glue on the engines
*Glue on and paint the mast
*Remove masking

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Well, sorry for the repeated updates in a short span. I always do this at the very end of builds, though. I get down to nearly minute by minute updates. Anyway...   I have to shelve this for now because the roundels on the wings are all messed up. I don't know why, but the clear coat beaded up and made bubbles and .... like.... sweat beads on top of them...   in the moment, I tried to pop a couple of the larger bubbles with toothpicks and the decals themselves had liquified and came up. So, I tried to "fix it" with some paint but the color is way wrong. I tried another color and it's also wrong and now I have no choice but to try to remove these or at least sand down the "beads of sweat" and apply new transfers. Good thing is I have a couple that will work but I'm not trying to do all that right now. This didn't happen to any of the other transfers on the model....   :unsure:

SO!!!....  it will be at least a day and a half before I'm finished. It would be stupid to rush this thing right at the end and try to live with such a botched roundel job..  :rolleyes:  I still need to run the hobby knife around all the masking, too, and I'd rather do that when I'm not exhausted.

Le sigh.  :rolleyes: :-\

OH WELL!! It'll be better in the end!  ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on September 28, 2018, 06:50:12 PM
Bugger.

Yeah damnit!   What the hell? This is a new one on me; this whole beads of sweat on the decals stuff. Meanwhile, I'm trying to put floor polish on the off-color paint to get it to match better and if it does I might just leave them bumpy roundels.  :wacko:  I did go ahead and put it up so I'll re-evaluate it tomorrow after things haver settled. Who knows, once the clear gasses out some maybe that ridiculous BS will flatten out... 

It's almost like I had put salt on them for salt chipping; that's the type of texture I'm left with. Frustrating to get so damn close to the end to be faced with a new problem.

Good thing is, as a whole, it looks really nice! once I get past these last minute problems it should turn out quite alright.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

:banghead:
How long did you let the decals dry before you cleared them?
Did you use decal solvent?
If so, did you wash the model before clearing again?
Did you put on a couple of mist coats of clear before putting a wet coat over the decals?

None of this helps fixing the problem now.  But might prevent it happening again.  For now you just have to put it to one side, let it all gas out for a few days and then come back to it and take a fresh view.
You've still got two weeks left of the GB.  Go and play some video games.

:mellow:
Fred