Vulture B.1 ---- (RAF B-58 Hustler), 1/72 **FINISHED PICS PG 14**

Started by TheChronicOne, July 02, 2018, 02:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Did you spray or brush the Klear? If you sprayed it too high a pressure may have given results like that.

But if you brushed it, which I do almost all the time, I've found that Klear needs to be 'brushed out' after the main coat has been applied as tiny air bubbles appear out of nowhere and give a rough finish like that. I use a broad, flat brush and give it long, slow strokes over the surface to chase the bubbles off.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2018, 11:46:01 PM

But if you brushed it, which I do almost all the time, I've found that Klear needs to be 'brushed out' after the main coat has been applied as tiny air bubbles appear out of nowhere and give a rough finish like that. I use a broad, flat brush and give it long, slow strokes over the surface to chase the bubbles off.

That's what I do as well, although I've never actually thought about the process. I just "do" it ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

My Dad taught me that trick while painting my own book case when I was maybe 8-9. I've got an idea he called it 'laying off', or something similar.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 29, 2018, 02:43:11 AM
My Dad taught me that trick while painting my own book case when I was maybe 8-9. I've got an idea he called it 'laying off', or something similar.

It's an acquired skill.  On wood I can get a better finish using a brush and a tin of (oil based) varnish than I can with an aerosol can.  But it takes practice and you've got to watch the edges.
I have used a similar technique with Future (Klear, One Go etc) on model cars but stopped using it because the finished doesn't last.  The shine dulls over time.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

steelpillow

One of the things I hate about quick-drying finishes is that brushing-out soon begins to add brushmarks rather than smooth the finish.
Always, always, thin with solvent and apply several light coats, never try to do too much in one coat. Applies equally to hand and air brushes.
Cheers.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on September 28, 2018, 10:02:31 PM
:banghead:
How long did you let the decals dry before you cleared them?
Did you use decal solvent?
If so, did you wash the model before clearing again?
Did you put on a couple of mist coats of clear before putting a wet coat over the decals?

None of this helps fixing the problem now.  But might prevent it happening again.  For now you just have to put it to one side, let it all gas out for a few days and then come back to it and take a fresh view.
You've still got two weeks left of the GB.  Go and play some video games.

:mellow:

The transfers in question, the two on the wings, were the first ones I put on and had been allowed to sit and dry for about 48 hours.

Didn't use decal solvent or set.

Definitely wiped things down before and after application of decals.

Yup, I mist coated and even from the very first pass with mist coast the clear was beading up on them.

Weird.

Yeah, I'm going to let it sit, good advice!!  No need to rush it.

I checked it this morning and the bumps are still there, but the color I painted onto them are a lot closer to being matched up now after having put floor polish on them to try to get the sheen matched up. I just need to decide if I'm going to try to sand this down and apply new decals over top or just leave them. It really doesn't look too bad. It's one of those things that if you pick it up and start turning it around in your hands you can spot it or if the light hits it just right, you can see it, but from a distance or at certain angles when the light isn't bouncing off them, you can't really tell. SO... I might just leave them as-is. I've never tried to sand decals before. I can't simply lift them off because they're already sealed in with the gloss coat.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2018, 11:46:01 PM
Did you spray or brush the Klear? If you sprayed it too high a pressure may have given results like that.

I was using rattle can clear gloss coat varnish. I just used floor polish after the fact because I had to add paint to the blue on the roundels because when I tried to pop one of the bubbles on them with a toothpick, the decal had melted and a blob came off each one on the toothpick, leaving holes in them. I painted blue back but the colors didn't match so I put floor polish on top to darken them up and give them some shine to match up with the rest of the decal.

I totally need to get an airbrush and start using Klear, though. I've gotten into trouble before with varnish because of it being a solvent and using klear would be a good way to avoid them. At one point in time I was working on my air tank but it has a leak in it and that's where that project stopped.....
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

All done!!!  Turned out pretty nice I think.

Now for a couple "class" pictures with a couple other recent builds, notably the Flying Ram which was painted the same up top, and a Spitfire Mk. I 'early.'

Lil Spit's camo works well when fighting over ceramic.... . . .

NOW, for some fun!!!  Parasite fighter?

BIGAZZ canards??? ?? 

;D ;D

Tailplanes?!?!?!?!?? 

;D ;D

So anyway... this draws this all to a conclusion. I would normally say "I'll try to get better pictures when the sun is out" but half the time I never do... so... to hell with. Somehow the overcast almost seems fitting.

It's been fun working on this!! It's been fun just chatting with you all here.  I rather like having company while I build.  :lol: :mellow:

So there we are.... Vulture B.1 with the RAf  mumblemumblemuble squadron out of mumblemumblemumble, 19mumble.

-Sprues McDuck-

Rheged

I like these!!!

If it's not an improper suggestion, please may I put together a possible back story to associate with the B58? (I'm better handling words  than plastic)  I only hope that I can do justice to the finished model.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Rheged on September 30, 2018, 12:24:59 PM
I like these!!!

If it's not an improper suggestion, please may I put together a possible back story to associate with the B58? (I'm better handling words  than plastic)  I only hope that I can do justice to the finished model.

Knock yourself out! That is my weak point. I would not only welcome it, I'd encourage it;  please do!    ;D :mellow:

And thank you! 

-Sprues McDuck-

jalles

Wow, that turned out awesome!  :thumbsup: That scheme really looks great on the hustler. The one picture with the canards sure is intriguing.

TheChronicOne

Thanks!!! One day in the distant future I'd like to do an anti-flash white version.
-Sprues McDuck-

steelpillow

Cheers.

PR19_Kit

That's seriously awesome. The grey/green camo really suits it, even better than the USAF's VietNam experimental scheme they tried. And the engines are WONDERFUL! Love that 'chromed' look to the exhausts.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

that does look smart!  :thumbsup:
and the canard and tail plane shots look wonderful as well  :thumbsup:
big congratulations on getting it finished
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!