Vulture B.1 ---- (RAF B-58 Hustler), 1/72 **FINISHED PICS PG 14**

Started by TheChronicOne, July 02, 2018, 02:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 30, 2018, 01:34:02 PM
That's seriously awesome. The grey/green camo really suits it, even better than the USAF's VietNam experimental scheme they tried. And the engines are WONDERFUL! Love that 'chromed' look to the exhausts.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you!!  Speaking of 'Nam stuff. I'd like to see one of these done up in the traditional USAF SEA camo with the black night undersides with the scalloped transition. More wishful thinking, though, like the anti-flash white one..  one of these days perhaps!

The bright stuff on the engines seemed like the proper thing to do.  :wacko:

Quote from: Steel Penguin on September 30, 2018, 01:38:46 PM
that does look smart!  :thumbsup:
and the canard and tail plane shots look wonderful as well  :thumbsup:
big congratulations on getting it finished

Thanks! I had to have some fun with the little XB-79 or whatever it is... probably some other configurations possible, too, but I didn't want to risk snapping stuff off being an infant "playing" with my "toys."

Deadlines... yeah... well, there's an extension now, but had the original still in place it would appear it was right down to the wire.  :o ;D  Seems like that's how it always goes?!?!
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D   Gets me every time.  It works so well.   

Thanks!  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

TomZ

This looks fabulous!
The scheme fits the aircraft very well indeed.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

Excellent.  It's amazing how a simple little thing like the NMF on the engines adds so much.

Well done.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

The scheme really does suit the aircraft  :thumbsup:

Well done mate
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Thanks y'all!!! I totally dig it. If ya don't think the Hustler is about as cool as an airplane can possibly get, then check your pulse. It's just a shame that it wasn't something that wound up in service for 60 years like a B-52. Imagine them through Vietnam. Into the 80's into the grey on grey schemes and through Desert Storm and into the war on terror. All the possibilities. Also, how's about some Soviet "close but not the same at all, really" copy like with the Tu-160 that looks sort of like a B-1 but isn't or their SST that was so much like Concorde, but obviously different in looks and others. Anyway... a "Sovietised" Hustler would be cool. Then, there's all the nations that could possibly have them opening up tons of ways to paint them. Needles to say the potential for mods is there in spades. It's so clean and sleek (well, without the pod, which is totally cool in and of itself, off or on the plane) that it's almost like an empty canvas begging people to slap more parts onto.

I'm getting carried away here, but, it's such a fun subject to play in and it was a fun build! Really weren't any problems with the kit aside from the door-to-fuselage situation. Some of that stuff was warped and the doors didn't match to the openings worth a damn. Otherwise, it was perfect as far as I'm concerned. Went together easily, no need for PSR or anything aside from the aforementioned cockpit canopies/doors.

-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

Very nice!  :thumbsup:

Personally, I am a bit uncertain abiut the roundels and the fin flash, but that' personal. Impressive beast.  :lol:

TheChronicOne

Thanks!!  Alternate universe, history is changed, no telling how things would be different from "real" history. In practical terms, however, I was determined to only use what I had on hand, without having to buy anything else or order something.  ;D ;D ;D

Check this out, this dude named Brian Mcintosh Photoshopped my plane and "Vulcanized" the wings. Pretty cool! I see he also took a slight liberty with the camo pattern.   ;D ;D ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

steelpillow

Amazing to think its wing form was patented in 1909 and an early attempt at its jet engines built in 1910.

Not many four-engined deltas ever made it into the sky, I can only think of; Avro Vulcan, Convair B-58 Hustler, Myasischev M-50 Bounder (which cheated and added a tailplane), BAC-Aerospatiale Concorde and Tupolev TU-144. Three have become all-time classics. A truly exceptional breed, in much need of expanded lives in the whiffiverse.
Cheers.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

steelpillow

JW Dunne patented the conical wing profile (seen along the Hustler's leading edge) and the delta in the same patent in 1909. Coanda built his grossly underpowered monoplane in 1910.
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I have at last discovered their subsequent collaboration. Four Coanda jet engines delivered sufficient thrust for the Dunne delta to take off, which it did at the Larkhill flying ground on Salisbury Plain in the spring of 1912. It was subsequently sold in small numbers to the War Office as a secret reconnaissance aircraft and sightings of it were passed off as airships. However it was not particularly fast and attempts to increase the engine thrust tended to set the supporting struts on fire, so it was withdrawn from service in 1916. Note the curious double-hinge to the elevons, allowing it to curve but still function - Dunne patented that one too, ca. 1910 or 1911, and built it into his more well known swept-wing monoplanes.

Cheers.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: steelpillow on October 02, 2018, 02:24:26 AM
JW Dunne patented the conical wing profile (seen along the Hustler's leading edge) and the delta in the same patent in 1909. Coanda built his grossly underpowered monoplane in 1910.
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I have at last discovered their subsequent collaboration. Four Coanda jet engines delivered sufficient thrust for the Dunne delta to take off, which it did at the Larkhill flying ground on Salisbury Plain in the spring of 1912. It was subsequently sold in small numbers to the War Office as a secret reconnaissance aircraft and sightings of it were passed off as airships. However it was not particularly fast and attempts to increase the engine thrust tended to set the supporting struts on fire, so it was withdrawn from service in 1916. Note the curious double-hinge to the elevons, allowing it to curve but still function - Dunne patented that one too, ca. 1910 or 1911, and built it into his more well known swept-wing monoplanes.

Works for me, post away!  That's fantastic.... it's.... a hustler without the typical fuselage!!!!  :o :o :o :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Also, looks like paper airplane.   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

steelpillow

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 02, 2018, 02:45:16 AM
it's.... a hustler without the typical fuselage!!!!

Or, a giant jet-powered hang-glider! :wacko:

Added a bit more detail now.
Typical stick-and-fabric, wire-braced construction of the era.
Each jet driven by a Green 50 hp water-cooled four-cylinder inline engine.
Pilot sat in a kind of shallow tray under the nose, with curved-up floor at the front to (in theory) add a bit more lift - one of Dunne's less insightful patents.
Robust, rough-field undercarriage, a habit of Dunne's that primarily served to save the pilot's life when attempting a cross-wind landing: there was no rudder, so no yaw control - you had to turn into the wind to land the thing.

Just been checking the original drawings. Dick Fairey, later to found his own far more successful company, was working for Dunne at the time. The drawings bear his signature. This was the first Fairey Delta!  :o ;D
Cheers.