Militärhistorisches Museum Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow (Gatow Air Museum)

Started by Knightflyer, July 04, 2018, 07:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

So moving on past the initial group of aircraft displayed outside, on the way to the first display hanger you pass the outside display of Antiaircraft and radar systems

I didn't photograph everything, but once again, as with the MiGs and Sukois, to see examples of the Soviet era SAMs was pretty amazing. In how many of those WWIII 'techno-thriller' books that I read back then did NATO pilots have to evade swarms of 'Gammons' and 'Guidelines' etc?

SA-2 Guideline S-75 Dvina

SA-5 Gammon S-200 Angara/Vega/Dubna

and one from 'our' side of the Iron Curtain
A West German (US-supplied)  Nike Hercules

And whilst not a missile.....there was also this  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Were those Nike's painted with those Maltese Crosses when in service ?

I suppose if in service now they'd have a "tick" and be sponsored ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 17, 2018, 06:09:35 AM

I suppose if in service now they'd have a "tick" and be sponsored ?  ;)

Maybe they could co-sponsor with Amazon or DHL and promise extremely high-speed delivery?  ;D (or take down the opposition's delivery drones!)

upnorth

Looks like they've shifted quite a bit of their outdoor collection around since I visited in spring of 2016.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 17, 2018, 06:09:35 AM

YES! At least occasionally.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Okay, so beyond the missiles was the first of the display hangers. There was a lot on Air Traffic Control (unfortunately with no additional English explanations - and yes I know that's my problem, not the Germans!) a display (with English) on the 1989 Belgium MiG-23 crash (The pilot had ejected  near Kołobrzeg, Poland, after experiencing technical problems, but the aircraft continued flying for around 900 km (600 mi) across West Germany before running out of fuel and descending into the ground and also the following

PR19_Kit

Did you see the Me-163 full size 'diorama' in one of the hangars? It's sitting in a revetment with its ground crew refuelling it, and the maniquins look decidedly scared!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 27, 2018, 11:11:07 AM
Did you see the Me-163 full size 'diorama' in one of the hangars? It's sitting in a revetment with its ground crew refuelling it, and the maniquins look decidedly scared!

I think they must have had a move around since you were there Kit. I realise I don't remember seeing the Canberra you mentioned early in this thread? As for the Komet, it is (if it's the same one) now making a strafing attack on a Gannet!  :o  :lol:

PR19_Kit

I went to Gatow sometime in the mid-90s, just after the Luftwaffe had taken it back (again........  ;D) and there were very few aircraft in hangars, and only the 163 was 'properly' displayed. The ORANGE Canberra was out on the runway right alongside an camo'd Il-28.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

upnorth

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 30, 2018, 07:27:22 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 27, 2018, 11:11:07 AM

I think they must have had a move around since you were there Kit. I realise I don't remember seeing the Canberra you mentioned early in this thread? As for the Komet, it is (if it's the same one) now making a strafing attack on a Gannet!  :o  :lol:

Wow! that's a change from when I visited in 2016. When I was there, the Komet was part of a diorama and the Gannet was outside wit hthe Atlantic and Sea Hawk.

The Canberra is currently under restoration and out of public view.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Knightflyer

Some further pictures from the last hanger (including the 'littlest' (well perhaps not!) spy-plane)