Miles Malvern B1

Started by 63cpe, July 04, 2018, 11:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

This how this project started:

IMG_20180704_190913067 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

After one day of checking, planning, drawing lines, cutting and again checking and drawing lines it looked like this:

IMG_20180701_163300940 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20180701_163237597 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Meanwhile the tail empennage is also found and cut to be tailored on the trailing edge/ end of fuselage. Sure there is a turret in the trailing edge of the tail.

David (aka 63CPE)

loupgarou

Gosh! I have just posted an answer to your post in discussion thinking this mix was a joke, and you're DOING IT!   :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

63cpe

:thumbsup:

Yep, time for contemplating is over....have to make room on the shelf..

63cpe

A bit of work done today: cockpit is being made.

IMG_20180704_191341619 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

David

zenrat

Wow.
sandiego89's crown as king of the big jobs might be in peril...

I need to get me one of those Heller Nords so I can paint one in Boxcar livery to confuse JMNs.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Cooooor, I look the look of that!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 04, 2018, 02:01:54 PM
Cooooor, I look the look of that!  :thumbsup:

It's the wings. ;D

Speaking of which: Are the engines going to stay angled in, &, if so, are there any performance benefits? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

Great flying wing! :thumbsup:
What will you make of the remaining booms? this may be even better (if possible...) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 04, 2018, 12:46:39 PM
Wow.
sandiego89's crown as king of the big jobs might be in peril...

Glad to see you haven't allowed the fact that you are half way around the World compromise your sense of "humour"  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

63cpe

Thanks for the comments!

@Tophe: I still have booms for two (maybe three) Noratlases...keep em stored and take em out every once in a while to check it's use when an suitable project comes along.
somewher in the back of my brain ther is something lukring with one loooong tailboom....not quite sure picture yet..have the check the crystall ball ;-)

@old wombat: I'm considering to take the outer engines out and fair the holes over and drop a remote turret in. I couldn't find any info on horizontal angeled engines in flying wings. There is a lot info on vertical angeled engines allright. So can't tell you for sure, but gut feeling aka knowledge of physics tells me there will be a minor loss in efficiency over inline placed engines. I'll check how to angle the engines correctly.

Thanks,
David

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

63cpe

Update time: outer engines will be out. Started with the cutting of the upper wing halves and gluing in delete plates for easy puttying and fit of turrets.

IMG_20180715_135118506 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Meanwhile I've glued in I beams over the inner side of the lower wing to keep the outerwing parts in place and ease of fitting engine delete plates and again turrets.

IMG_20180715_175151769 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Enjoy your building!

David 63cpe

PR19_Kit

That's looking ginormous already............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Yep, Kit it is BIG and it's just grew pregnant... <_< <_<

No, When I checked at an earlier stage I noticed the ground clearance under the fuselage was quite big. meanwhile the payload (or correctly put: the bombload) could be quite limited compared to Lancaster, Washington and Shackleton. So I devised myself a plan to double bubble the fuselage. Victim was a 1/144 B747. Front and rear lowers were cut and glued to the Noratlas fuselage (or what was left of it). Meanwhile I wasn't satisfied with an earlier rear fuselage with ball gun turret. So, planned for a more plump but narrow rear fuselage. Probably will put another, bigger, ball turret in the rear together with some radar bulges for the mandatory radar guidance...

IMG_20180804_203330746 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20180804_203324033 (2) by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20180804_203230183 (2) by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

In the B-36 wings is a box to get it rigid. This box it slightly to wide so need to find a way to get in more narrow. Will check tomorrow. I guess it's an easy job but will have to check how the box fits in the wings. Anyway now the is a gap, this will be closed...

IMG_20180804_203340552 (2) by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

The rearend still needs some work...

IMG_20180804_203526481 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20180804_203505593 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

When removing the fuselage after the check pictures were made I noticed the wings was quite stable on it's maingear. I casted the wheels in resin from an 1/48 Canberra. They just have those nice British spokes, so typical in my opinion for British aircraft in the 50-ies..
IMG_20180804_203747703 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

More pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/albums/72157698217533564

Cheers,
David aka 63CPE

PR19_Kit

A very interesting mix of shapes there, I'm liking it a lot!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit