Miles Malvern B1

Started by 63cpe, July 04, 2018, 11:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Me? Am I that predictable?  ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

jalles

Wow, that's excellent! I like the realigned wings (engines not angled)  :thumbsup:

63cpe

Again time for an update: now the engine delete covers are sanded smooth, it's time to glue-in the rotating shafts for the turrets on the wings and below the wings. The shafts were leftover from an ancient airfix B-29. Both were cut and styrene tubes long enough to protrude through the wings were glued-in the shafts. When the rotating shafts are glued in I'll cut then to fit the upper and lower surfaces of the wings and put the newer academy B-50 turrets on top of the styrene tubes. I'll also have to make some transparent blisters for aiming devices for the gunners in the wings. Think I'll copy the transparencies of an 1/144 "Emily" flying boat with resin copies. Casting transparent resin is a first for me...have to try to keep bubbles out..

IMG_20180819_170925355 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20180819_175821902 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20180819_201908885 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Cheers,
David

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, wing mounted turrets! What's not to like?  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 23, 2018, 02:58:17 PM
Oh yes, wing mounted turrets! What's not to like?  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And longer wings...

I'm looking forward to seeing this beastie done

63cpe

Thanks Gentlemen!

Still pushing forward with this beast...
Turrets are made. The B-29 units (three from an Academy, one from an Airfix) are reworked and a tube is glued in. This is an outer tube that fits the inner tube. This inner tube is glued in the rotating fixtures in the wings. In the picture the inner tubes are show as is the rotating fixture from an airfix B-29.
IMG_20180904_095212834 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Because the heavy curvature of the upper wing, the upper turrets need a fillet to get a nice joint between the turret and upper halve of the wing. These are the droplet shaped sheets:
IMG_20180904_095056215 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Because the airfoil shape is almost flat at the lower halve of the wing, no fillet is needed. So, this is how the lower turrets sit in the lower wings.
IMG_20180904_095148134 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Enjoy your modelling.
Cheers!
David

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

NUTTY!! I can't say it enough.  ;D   This is definitely going to be impressive, I agree.     
-Sprues McDuck-

63cpe

PSR is such a pain..need to do something else. Let's share some updates:

Fuselage is microfilled...
IMG_20180826_181623488 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Now PSR-ing the fuselage with 600 and 800. Finished already three sheets of 600 in a day!

Meanwhile turrets in the wings are finished as is a periscope / gun aim system for above and below the wing (that's the smaller transparent blister)
IMG_20180906_134437238 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

While working on the turrets I also made the rear upper fuselage with ball turret ( fully functional) and radar radomes ( German ww2 Bombs)for the rear gun. Most of the empennage was made from styrene tube but the putty and the sanding required some more putty helpings...
IMG_20180906_134457607 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

With the wings curing I started puttying the cutting edge. Especially the intakes require some special attention as the fit is so-so.
IMG_20180906_134414216 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Ok lets get some beauty pics eventhough she's not finished yet...
IMG_20180906_134351972 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20180906_134518897 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Meanwhile the cat (Romeo) is taking a nap and chose the lid of the Blenheim kit as "pillow". He didn't even mind there were some sprues on the lid..
IMG_20180904_230425430 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Anyway, Enjoy your modelling! Cheers,
David

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

nighthunter

It's them ginger cats that steal souls, I tell ya!

He's adorable.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

That Malvern's looking all kinds of awesome!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: nighthunter on September 06, 2018, 03:50:52 PM
It's them ginger cats that steal souls, I tell ya!

He's adorable.

Yup  ;D

Kit's coming on well as well  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

63cpe

Thank you and yes Romeo is adorable.. especially as he is an elderly cat. He is 18 years old!

Now time for an update on the Malvern: The wings cuttingedges were sanded smooth, the main spar was installed and the major assembly of wings and fuselage was done.
It all went together pretty good eventhough the rear upper fuselage caused some trouble as the fit was so-so. Never the less it was all super glued and the seams were puttied.

IMG_20180907_220620925 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

During the assembly I managed to get one propblade to snap off....I guess more are to follow during sanding of the seams, :banghead: :banghead:

IMG_20180907_220653660 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Enjoy your modelling!
Cheers!

David aka 63cpe