Red Gambit 1946 - Aardvark Tank Destroyer

Started by buzzbomb, July 07, 2018, 12:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Big fan of the Red Gambit Alternate WW2 series http://www.redgambitseries.com/ where the Russians invade further into Germany in July 1945. One of the nicest concepts is the whiffieness of it all. I have done other models based on this inspiration and here is another one.

<Backstory>
During the desperate times holding the line after the treacherous Soviet attack, the New German Federation and their "SS colleagues" now in the French Foreign Legion worked hard to get vehicles up and running. Any vehicles. Often this involved lots of modifications to match together, often mismatched components.
One of these was the Aardvark, which comprised using tried and true Panzer IV hull with the Achilles Tank destroyer turret with its formidable and still effective 17 Pounder weapon. Of course not a perfect union, but, it did enable quite a number of similar vehicles to outfit the Cameroon Brigade of the Legion with a Tank Destroyer battalion.
</backstory>

Time to get cracking on this

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

Cool conversion.   :thumbsup:  Are you planning any more? I think that turret might also go well on a Panther or Tiger chassis  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Leading Observer

Good work! :thumbsup: I'm also a big fan of the series ;D
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Dizzyfugu

Neat combo. Reminds me of my Chaffee tank hunter with a Sherman Firefly turret and a 17pounder on board, too.

Makes me wonder about a Ünezer IV chassis with a Bishop turret as artillery support vehicle, kind of a mini KV-2?

buzzbomb

thanks guys

so we continue
As far as kits go, this is the rather ordinary 1/35 Italeri Panzer IV of dubious mark and the remainder of the Academy Achilles I did not use in some other build

Pretty much together

With last of the bits and then some primer

Of course now I realize putting the ready ammo in was not such a clever idea. Have to do some deft paintwork to get those done

Old Wombat

I was wondering about that but assumed you simply had a superior skill set to this mere mortal. ;)

Vorcha

Quote from: buzzbomb on July 07, 2018, 12:25:18 AM
"Often this involved lots of modifications to match together, often mismatched components."

I think the turret and hull look pretty natural together  :wub:
Does the gun pivot or is it glued in place?
paper boy

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Vorcha on July 10, 2018, 07:40:48 AM
I think the turret and hull look pretty natural together  :wub:

I think so, too!

buzzbomb

Digiti Extractum.

Got down and hammered on with the Aardvark.

First up painted the Interior

Painting is one of those tasks where you are into it or not.

Got on a roll and away we went

No particular scheme and went for non-discript markings to sort of get in the get the Foreign Legion but not really French feel. Although I may go back and put some Tri-colours on if I can find a few

Pix are not quite working for me, breaking in a new SLR and getting the white balance right is not quite there. Plus using LED lights makes a difference.

NARSES2

Oh my, that is looking good  :thumbsup:

I think she would suit a couple of small tricolours.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

This is why I know my painting skills are cr@p. :-\

Great job, Brian! :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 28, 2018, 03:23:51 AM

Believe me they are not mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Not sure about the whole French Nazi thing but the model is looking suburb.

:thumbsup:

<edit> suburb?  Bloody auto correct.  Supurb.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 28, 2018, 03:25:03 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on July 28, 2018, 03:23:51 AM

Believe me they are not mate  :thumbsup:

I don't get enough practice with my airbrush (maybe once or twice a year, three if I'm lucky) & my wear-&-tear techniques are ... basic ... as are the tools I use for them.

It's all part of the learning process & I'm actually quite happy with what I do, it's just that I know Brian does much better.

It's my aim to get somewhere near his skill level sometime before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

;D :thumbsup:

PS: Oh, & the M41 was, in fact, the first model I ever painted with an airbrush. ;)