Westland-Fairey Rotocrane HC4

Started by PR19_Kit, July 10, 2018, 03:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 16, 2018, 03:24:59 PM

Has anyone else ever tried this system before?

Not with models, but with accessories.  I use RE magnets (set up for ID badge holders) to affix stuff without having to go through the cloth-

To whit, a replica US Marshal's badge and ROTC rank insignia (set up as ST:TNG CDR pins)

I just superglued regular steel washers on the backside.

I've worn them all day at cons and not had to worry about them
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

I don't much about anything but I do know that this sounds like a good idea. Imagine the glory of not having to mess with all that fiddly crap . .. .. .. .       ::::daydream bubble::::::   :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Washers!  :banghead:

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks Scooter, that'd work well I think.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've got some magnets on order already, and I've got LOTS of washers of all sorts of sizes.  ;D

I checked various small feederliners, Islander, Skyvan, Twin Otter etc. to see if their wings would suit the tailplane for the Rotocrane, and amazingly they're all around the same wing chord! I've gone for the Twotter as I have plans for the other two anyway.

I've also sourced the bay window thing that the loadmaster needs.....  ;)

PSR is going apace, but I may vanish under a pile of sanded off Presto putty before long. The sink marks on the roof of the 'dyne are immense and I'm on the third lot of PSR for them now.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The seemingly never ending PSR continues on the fuselage and port wing, but the end is in sight, at least the pre-primer PSR anyway. Hopefully that one wing will be glued onto the fuselage this evening.

The teeny-weeny magnets that I ordered arrived today, and boy, are they SMALL! They're 3 mm dia and 2 mm thick, it's going to be a job to keep track of them later on. I drilled some holes in the top of the container and super-glued four of the magnets in place and it works a treat.  :thumbsup:

To prove it here's a pic of the container clamped onto one of my radiators.  ;D

I've found yet another largish helicopter kit that will provide some of the 'extras' I had in mind for this, but more of that further down the build route.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Radiator almost looks like the side of one of them things.    ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 18, 2018, 01:33:05 PM

That's quite possible. The guy who installed the central heating here didn't buy one radiator the same as any other, and the pipework looks like a fittings catalogue!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 18, 2018, 01:59:42 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 18, 2018, 01:33:05 PM

That's quite possible. The guy who installed the central heating here didn't buy one radiator the same as any other, and the pipework looks like a fittings catalogue!  :banghead:

;D     I know what you mean!!! I've come across similar situation looking at the plumbing in irrigation systems for lawn sprinklers. Sometimes it just seems like they're trying to use up old parts or something. Good for not wasting things but makes for some odd stuff sometimes that has the next person to work on them scratching their head in wonderment.
-Sprues McDuck-

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 16, 2018, 03:24:59 PM
.....I'm thinking of using modern day high strength magnets set into the underside of the fuselage with shim steel plates glued to the top of the container.

Has anyone else ever tried this system before?

Kit, the modern magnets I used to mount the F-104's to the B-52 FICON mothership for my recent entry to the cold war GB work astonishingly well.  I experimented with thin steel sheet super glueed to the object being hung and finishing nails.  Both worked great- the F-104s hold onto the pylon firmly with 3 magnets (2 would have likely worked), but I can still pry the F-104s off for "launch" easily if I want to.

A few of these on your container will work very well.  Recommend a few strips of metal glued to your container (I used krazy glue) metal on the container, magnets glued to the Rotocrane belly. 

Trial Harrier.  You can see the three small magnets on the bottom of the pylon.  It would not shake off, but you can pull it off with a gentle tug. 

Happy hanging!  -Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 18, 2018, 03:09:21 PM

A few of these on your container will work very well.  Recommend a few strips of metal glued to your container (I used krazy glue) metal on the container, magnets glued to the Rotocrane belly. 

Too late Dave  ;D the magnets are glued into the top of the container now. I plan to glue some steel shim into the bottom of the fuselage later on.

The port wing is now glued in place.  :thumbsup:

The fuselage wing roots aren't that wonderful and the joint has already got its first dose of PSR. I've started on the fairing at the tail of the fuselage, just visible in the pic, and I've added cheek fairings on the engines/booms where the joints are too. That small white rectangle on the top of the wing is a blanking plug for the extra cooling outlet on the outer wing, and it was the very devil to fit, but it's in place now.

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 18, 2018, 03:53:22 PM

Too late Dave  ;D the magnets are glued into the top of the container now. I plan to glue some steel shim into the bottom of the fuselage later on.

Ooops, I didn't scroll down far enough- glad you got the magnets figured out!  I can see them being quite handy for my future modelling uses- mother ships, stores, trucks to trailers, etc.  It is nice to be able to have flexibility in how to pose things  I have also found them very useful in the house for a few cabinet doors that like to swing open by themselves: glue a washer to the door with superglue- magnet glued to the opposite surface...   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Why do I always think up whiffs that need OODLES of PSR work?  :banghead: :banghead:

Trying to match the three parts of the boom on the Rotocrane is driving me nuts, I'm on the third level of PSR by now and I'm not sure there won't be a fourth.

Here's the progress so far, with the third layer drying off.

And I've got to do it all again for other side yet!  :o

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Because your ambitions are far from simple, Kit, & you're too much of an engineer to do a half-baked job. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 19, 2018, 05:54:55 AM

Because your ambitions are far from simple, Kit, & you're too much of an engineer to do a half-baked job. :thumbsup:

Yes, you could be right there.  ;D

One day I'll do a relatively simple 'paint job' Whiff, maybe.........

Regards
Kit