Westland-Fairey Rotocrane HC4

Started by PR19_Kit, July 10, 2018, 03:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

That's badass!!  This is going to be one hell of a contraption.  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 26, 2018, 04:29:55 PM

Canted tail fins?  According to the book on the Rotodyne, the early effort to make the fin tops fold created instability in the flight regime when they unfolded back up vertical.  So then they were then fixed vertical.   
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Indeed so, but during the Rotocrane's development it was found that the more powerful Tyne's larger props created quite a bit of outwash which was modified by the airflow over the booms which in turn generated unpredictable vortices around the vertical fins. This was found to be minimised by canting the upper part of the vertical fins.

[Any differences in the model can be explained by corresponding updates in the backstory.............. ;) ;D]

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 26, 2018, 10:27:37 PM
Indeed so, but during the Rotocrane's development it was found that the more powerful Tyne's larger props created quite a bit of outwash which was modified by the airflow over the booms which in turn generated unpredictable vortices around the vertical fins. This was found to be minimised by canting the upper part of the vertical fins.

[Any differences in the model can be explained by corresponding updates in the backstory.............. ;) ;D]

Ah, and excellent explanation, Kit. One I felt was lurking below the surface somewhere but just needed to be articulated.  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Steel Penguin

that does look good Kit  :thumbsup:
and when painted im certain people will say they have seen them in the wild.  ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kitnut617

Kit, there's an interesting thread going on in the Secret projects Forum that is all about flying cranes --- there's a couple there that look quite a bit like this -----  ;)

Love where this is going though  :wub: :wub: :wub:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

scooter

Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 27, 2018, 01:35:32 AM
that does look good Kit  :thumbsup:
and when painted im certain people will say they have seen them in the wild.  ;D

You mean you haven't?  I distinctly recall several flying in and out of Camp Speicher, aiding 40th Aviation BDE when I was there in '05.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Steel Penguin

Scooter, I have to say, err  not certain. ;D  my airframe recognition skills are rather scattergun, :unsure:
I can run idents on a great many things, but every so often I hit the problem, that im channelling a parallel me, and then well.....

people say AV8   and I double image the USMC harrier   and the Cyberpunk 2013 assault aerodyne   :o   ( where my rofl smiley?_)
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Glad you're liking it, I've had the idea for some time, and the RAF 100 GB sparked me into actually doing it.

One problem occurred to me this morning, where am I going to put the RAF roundel? The only place would seem to be directly under the cockpit window as there's not enough free area anywhere else. Maybe tiny, Vampire style ones on the booms?

Speaking of booms, the last 1.5" of the starboard boom appears to be stricken with styrene rot.  :banghead:   The starboard canted fin just fell off under its own weight of this morning, taking a chunk of the boom's upper surface with it! The boom end's gone soft and floppy and the only thing holding it in place is the tailplane itself, which in turn is located by the port boom! I may have to cut it away and replace it with some sprue or summat.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 27, 2018, 09:20:29 AM
stricken with styrene rot.

Sounds disgusting! What causes it? And a ruddy shame as well! :banghead:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 27, 2018, 09:23:47 AM
stricken with styrene rot.

Sounds disgusting! What causes it? And a ruddy shame as well! :banghead:

Dunno, but that Heller styrene is very weird, it's very brittle when you're trying to cut it, but it goes super soft if you apply too much cement.

I think the latter did for it in this case, and with hindsight I should have just used MekPak on it, not the Revell S type that I usually use.

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 27, 2018, 05:51:39 AM
Scooter, I have to say, err  not certain. ;D  my airframe recognition skills are rather scattergun, :unsure:
I can run idents on a great many things, but every so often I hit the problem, that im channelling a parallel me, and then well.....

people say AV8   and I double image the USMC harrier   and the Cyberpunk 2013 assault aerodyne   :o   ( where my rofl smiley?_)

:wacko:

One problem occurred to me this morning, where am I going to put the RAF roundel? The only place would seem to be directly under the cockpit window as there's not enough free area anywhere else. Maybe tiny, Vampire style ones on the booms?

Assuming its a tactical rotodyne, small roundels on the booms would work splendidly.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on July 27, 2018, 03:17:15 PM

Assuming its a tactical rotodyne, small roundels on the booms would work splendidly.

Yes, could be right there Scooter. It's meant to be a different time frame Chinook, so that would fit.

I've strengthened up the starboard boom by superglueing a 10 thou styrene strip along the damaged part, and then re-gluing the upper fin to that, and it seems to have worked. Much stronger now.

Next step is to paint the cockpit and the forward fuselage interior, which won't be easy...............

Regards
Kit

Cobra

This is Really starting to Look Awesome Kit :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: looks kinda Gerry Anderson style to Me. Keep up the superb Work,My Friend :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 27, 2018, 09:42:28 AM

but it goes super soft if you apply too much cement.

I think the latter did for it in this case, and with hindsight I should have just used MekPak on it, not the Revell S type that I usually use.

I've had a similar thing happen with a couple of recent Airfix kits and Tamiya Extra Thin. It can prove a useful attribute once you know about it.

Quote from: scooter on July 27, 2018, 03:17:15 PM

Plus avoids the placement of that "target" underneath the pilot  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.