Westland-Fairey Rotocrane HC4

Started by PR19_Kit, July 10, 2018, 03:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Thanks very much, but I'm not so sure about the 'flawless' bit. The joints between the various parts aren't as good as they look in the pics, luckily the rotor is SO big that no-one will be able to get close enough to see the faults.  ;D ;)

Just finished painting the landing gear, the wheels and doors should go on this evening.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

zenrat

I assume you've sanded all the rivets off?
I'd love to keep them when I build mine but I think with what i've got planned i'd end up having to add a lot back on top of the completed PSR.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 04, 2018, 03:37:06 AM

You bet I did, the later production HC4s were all composite anyway so they didn't have any rivets...............  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 04, 2018, 12:37:13 PM
Quote from: zenrat on September 04, 2018, 03:37:06 AM

You bet I did, the later production HC4s were all composite anyway so they didn't have any rivets...............  ;D ;)

Construction method of the Fairey/zenrat Superdyne has yet to be determined (but a large proportion of it may well be putty).
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 05, 2018, 03:56:35 AM

Construction method of the Fairey/zenrat Superdyne has yet to be determined (but a large proportion of it may well be putty).

I'm enthusiastic about the Superdyne concept, bring it on!  :thumbsup: ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 05, 2018, 04:16:26 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 05, 2018, 03:56:35 AM

I'm enthusiastic about the Superdyne concept, bring it on!  :thumbsup: ;D ;)

I am planning to build it for the up coming Alt.Flight (Helicoptors, Ornithoptors, Ekranoplans, Autogiros, Flying Carpets, Hovercraft, Flying Cars, Bedknobs and Broomsticks) GB.  I think I have all the major parts now.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Painting the rotor is a real pain, it's matt black on the bottom and satin dark green on top, and no matter how careful I am the top paint keeps getting on the bottom and vice versa.  :banghead:

I'm on the third attempt now, using a small brush and being VERY careful. Then I need to add the main gear doors and paint them up, then satin varnish the whole thing and it's done.

Oh yes, the container's all painted and varnished now and looks pretty good. I thought I'd need to print up some decals for the info on the ends, but looking at real Army containers through the fence at Ashchurch the other day showed me that they don't have any, they're just matt green all over.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Wooow, great job Kit! What a magnoficent beast!
David als 63cpe

PR19_Kit

Almost there now, all the parts are assembled and in position and painted. Just a few small details to sort out, like painting the prop tips and adding the door guns.

Unfortunately my previously prepared door guns, from an MH-47E kit, seem to have gone missing, but they were very small. I may need a Plan B here............  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Good thing I have a number of Plan Bs to hand......  :banghead:

Plan A was to use lengths of red 2 mm wide decal to make the red-white-red prop tips, having masked and painted the white tips. But that didn't work because the C-160 props are slightly tapered at the tops and the decal stripes went on all crooked.

So Plan B was to mask them up again  :banghead: and paint the red bits, which is what I did and they're drying now.

That really is the last bit to do as all the rest is done. <sigh>

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

OK, it's finished at last. The red paint dried pretty quickly, thank goodness.

The usual 3/4 front view, the little black marks on the wings and 'fuselage' are the fueling points.

Rear view showing the container door latches and the walkways.

Underside showing the loadmaster's window (It's half a Meteor NF14 canopy  ;D) and the self tappers for the container's magnets to latch onto.

Just the nose, showing the rescue hoist over the starboard hatch etc. I haven't managed to find the door guns yet, but their mounts are already in place on the lower hatches.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

My God, it's glorious!!! 

:bow: :bow: :bow: :drink: :drink: :cheers: :party:

How in the hell did this turn out BETTER than I expected?!

Dude, this is good stuff!!!!  Fantastic!!!  :wub: :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

TomZ

Wow, absolutely fabulous!
What a great idea and excellent execution!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Mossie

I'm sure I've seen pictures of that on Airliners.net, kicking up dust in Afghanistan.  Great execution kit, looks fantastic!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.