DONE @p.3 +++ Supermarine Spitfire L.F. Mk. Xb, Operation Torch, late 1942

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 12, 2018, 02:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Gilbertson

TheChronicOne

Damn, dude!! Look at that!!  I love it, most glorious work, T!

Dizzy builds never fail to impress!   :bow: :drink: :cheers: :party:

-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot, everyone!  :cheers:

Turned out very nicely - I did not expect such a "good" result. I also think that USAAF markings and the Tropical Scheme suit the model better than the original RAF Dark Green/Ocean Grey livery. Might have been more subtle, but the radial engine somehow calls for a hot theatre of operations.  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Glenn Gilbertson on July 22, 2018, 12:03:32 PM
A magnificent model with a plausible backstory - well done! :thumbsup:

Couldn't put it better myself  :thumbsup:

Spitfire plus Centaurus ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

The Centaurus is a bit large for an early Spitfire, the pseudo-Taurus I used was already bulky. But a Centaurus could work an a post-war Griffon Spitfire, and I have successfully transplanted the radial engine onto a Mustang - despite initial skepticism:

1:72 North American "Mustang VII" (P-51N); "FL-Y/NT982" of 81 Squadron, Royal Air Force South East Asia Command; Chittagong area, June 1945, (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 23, 2018, 03:35:50 AM
But a Centaurus could work an a post-war Griffon Spitfire,

Yup I was thinking of one of the Xtrakit Mk XII's I have ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

I strongly recommend the optional Centaurus nose from the Matchbox kit, because it comes with the slimmed-down forward fuselage incl. the exhaust section. Makes integration into a slim fuselage like the Mustang's and probably a Spitfire's easier than just the radial cowling.

NARSES2

Thanks Dizzy, I'm sure I have one in the stash as well. I also have a resin Centaurus nose conversion somewhere as well.

Mossie

Fantastic finish!  The canopy does bring it back a bit more to Spitfire, I wonder what the early flat canopy would look like?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 24, 2018, 04:29:34 AM
I strongly recommend the optional Centaurus nose from the Matchbox kit, because it comes with the slimmed-down forward fuselage incl. the exhaust section. Makes integration into a slim fuselage like the Mustang's and probably a Spitfire's easier than just the radial cowling.

Just bought one from fleabay for my next Defiant. I used it years ago on a Rareplanes Firebrand, very useful, if hard to get now.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?