Meng Merkava MK-3D with experimental barrel

Started by sykotik, July 13, 2018, 07:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sykotik

hi guys

I have been plugging away at this for a couple of weeks now and am thoroughly enjoying building some armour for a change.
I love the Merkava's streamlined, quite futuristic profile but the barrel seems a bit ... meh
So I scoured the net for inspiration and found something pretty cool so I went with that but with some mods.
I have kept the kit part that mates to the barrel base but everything else is scratch built (not that it was terribly hard to do mind you)
The design lends itself to being a good base point for some other sci-fi tank stuff I have in mind for another day. I have tried to keep this one within the realms of today's technology

What I am struggling on though is the paint work. I am not going to paint this in that sand colour of olive green as that's just boring. I was thinking either a 3 tone Grey splinter/shard camo or a regular camo pattern in 3 tone grey?
Other colour combo ideas I have are Medium Grey, NATO green and NATO black, or just NATO black all over.
Which one would you recommend?
I know a lot of this choice would be decided on where it's being stationed, which leads me to wonder if this tank type is equally as capable in the forest as it is the Jungle, or even an urban setting? Bear in mind that I also chose all steel wheels (why I don't know but that's what I ended up with)

Anyway, I took a couple of pics of the barrel to show:

That's it as far as pics goes until the end. It still has a lot of work to do, but it's getting there.  I am very keen to hear your thoughts on a paint job.
Thanks in advance
Simon

Old Wombat

I'd go for a 3-tone grey-green-brown (of your choice) but, as that's pretty close to what I'll be painting my more modern RAM builds (they'll be 4-tone), you may not want to go with it. ;)

The 3-tone greys would be my second option. :thumbsup:

As I forgot to state "over there"; the gun has that futuristic look characteristic of some modern auto-cannon on ICV's & APC's.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Yep, the cannon reminds me of  75mm autocannon experiment of the US Army in an unmanned turret (IIRC, on a Sheridan chassis?). Looks pretty futuristic, but suits the Merkava well.

What I find quite sexy for a potential jungle livery is one of the US Army MERCD schemes, in two green tones (AFAIK FS 34079 and 34127), plus black and cream/off white contrasts:

Another favorite, even though it's originally a uniform scheme, is the German Army pattern, nicknamed "ErbsenpĆ¼ree" (pea mash):

No less than five colors (three greens, plus black and leather brown), layered. Complex and hard to apply, but I tried to use it on a mecha kit some time ago:

Dorvack +++ 1:24 PAM-48Y "Spatha" (fictional German Bundeswehr use; kit conversion/scratch-built)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

NARSES2

How about a simple dark scheme, but with a winter whitewash ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

wikxie

How about some sort of blocky urban scheme, a variation on the Berlin Brigade Cheftains? Maybe with greys and tans?

sykotik

The jungle one also caught my eye too. I like the colour combination. I am leaning towards a 3 tone dark grey splinter but do also like the 2 green and 1 grey mix with maybe a dash of black.
What style would suit this best? A splinter pattern? Or the standard wave style?

Old Wombat

I'd recommend a standard wave style or something like the German scheme below but without all the little spots.

(PS: Did I mention that all my modern RAM tanks are Merkavas, I-through-IV? ;D)

rickshaw

Personally, if your vehicle is going to be used in a terrain where one colour predominates, then just paint it that colour (or a close match) and apply plenty of mud/dust.  In the end, they all tend to merge anyway in my experience.   Most modellers and many militaries go for over-complicated camouflage patterns.  They may look interesting on the Parade Square but once your out in the field, it all tends to merge together under a generous coating of mud/dust.    Downunder, the Australian Army just painted it's AFVs for decades just in an Olive Green colour (which was unique to it for some reason, nothing matched it) and then applied wheel grease and mud/dust to the sides when on exercise.   Then, in the early 1980s, they rediscovered camouflage and came up with a fetching combination of green-brown-sand-black which was a fairly close match to the Australian bush.  In the Jungle, a plain green would work quite well.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

I do like that gun, very nice mod! :wub:

+1 for the berlin style block pattern, simply because it would suit an engagement in the Gaza strip
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on July 15, 2018, 05:27:07 AM

+1 for the berlin style block pattern, simply because it would suit an engagement in the Gaza strip

Exactly my thoughts too, but I know naff all about tanks really.

The Berlin Brigade camo was MOST effective and I can attest to that myself having nearly driven into the side of a Challenger (I think....) when driving through Spandau one sunny day. I just didn't 'see' the shape of the tank amidst those blocky shapes it was painted in!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 15, 2018, 05:40:24 AM

The Berlin Brigade camo was MOST effective and I can attest to that myself having nearly driven into the side of a Challenger (I think....) when driving through Spandau one sunny day. I just didn't 'see' the shape of the tank amidst those blocky shapes it was painted in!

Would be interesting explaining to the insurance people how you'd collided with a tank; "I didn't see it, guv! Honest!" ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 15, 2018, 05:45:55 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 15, 2018, 05:40:24 AM

Would be interesting explaining to the insurance people how you'd collided with a tank; "I didn't see it, guv! Honest!" ;D

Hehehe, indeed so. Specially when I was driving a RH drive car over there too! The mind BOGGLES at the amount of paperwork that would be involved.

Can you imagine the tank driver's insurance paperwork?

'What car where sir?'  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

nighthunter

Suggestion, if it's Israeli:

Flat Gull Gray/Armor Sand
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Old Wombat

Quote from: sykotik on July 13, 2018, 07:07:33 PM
I am not going to paint this in that sand colour of olive green as that's just boring. I was thinking either a 3 tone Grey splinter/shard camo or a regular camo pattern in 3 tone grey?
Other colour combo ideas I have are Medium Grey, NATO green and NATO black, or just NATO black all over.

I think that answers the question. ;)