Meng Merkava MK-3D with experimental barrel

Started by sykotik, July 13, 2018, 07:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Penguin

in that case, most defiantly Berlin Brigade 3 tone block    ;D ;D ;D
its the only way. ;D ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

sykotik

So I did a test paint using the side panels as testers and these are the results:

So, what do you think? I'm in 2 minds as to using the 2 greens and NATO black or should I use another 2 tones of grey?
The way it is now reminds me of the SAAB Viggen - not that this was my intention - far from it, but that's how it came out.
I also don't think there's enough contrast between the colours.
I'm going to try build the Friulmodel tracks, that arrived today, tonight and sleep on the scheme.

Dizzyfugu

Looks very good, but also very Swedish to me?  :o

nighthunter

I suggest replacing one of the greens with armor sand
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Old Wombat

Oh, gods! Fruilmodel tracks almost killed me! :o

However, although they're not on the RAM M41AS yet (Plug! Plug!), painted up they look awesome! :thumbsup:

The camo depends on where you want your Merkava to be fighting;

Jungle: I'd change the dark green for a darker green,
Temperate: I'd swap out the pale green for dark earth or NATO brown,
Desert: the greys could work for some regions, or I'd go sand/dark earth/NATO black, or even more complex with sand/dark earth/green (either)/slivers of NATO black, or
General: I'd try something like the Australian camo colours but in your splinter scheme.

But that's me & I can screw up camo as well as anyone, like this;

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Personally I like that scheme, but as Old Wombat says, it depends on the intended theatre of action.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sykotik

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 17, 2018, 05:20:32 AM
Oh, gods! Fruilmodel tracks almost killed me! :o

The only reason I got them was because the Meng one's don't fit together at all. They just fall apart. These Friulmodel tracks were the only ones I found in a short time looking. I've cleaned up one side and put it together and am half way through cutting and inserting the brass wire. I found a useful video tutorial on you tube which is proving to be very effective and in no way strenuous

Thanks for the input on the camo guys. Dizzy's right - it is very Swedish. I gave it some more thought and I'm going to go for the urban colours of 2 grey and NATO black. I've already resprayed the side skirts in NATO black and will start to remask tomorrow
Will take some pics of that and post them to see what you all think

Dizzyfugu

Another idea that came to me is to stick with the original scheme, but maybe switch the colors - e. g. to Europe One/Lizard tones (FS 36081, 34102 and 34092)?

Urban cammo sounds good, too! As a twist you might add some brick red to the mix?

sykotik

Take 2:

thoughts? Personally, I think it looks alright but I'm thinking I may throw in some brick red as per Dizzy's suggestion

Dizzyfugu

Cool and fractal!  :thumbsup: Would also work well as a winter scheme?

Mossie

It looks great.  I don't think you need to change it, but if you're going to add a brick red, maybe replace the black with it rather than adding another colour?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Mossie on July 20, 2018, 12:57:38 AM
It looks great.  I don't think you need to change it, but if you're going to add a brick red, maybe replace the black with it rather than adding another colour?

Sort of agree, I'd suggest changing half of one colour for brick red - I looked & could see ways of doing it for all 3 for slightly different results.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Looks good to me and I do admire the neatness of it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

silverwindblade

Looks great to me. I could see some brick red working in there, but at the same time it looks neat and plausible just as it is.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

sykotik

I ended up going with 3 tone gray and  am quite happy with how it's come out. It's almost finished now - just need to add the last few bits to it, fix up a couple of paint issues and add some weathering and then it's done. I also have a MK2D to do after this is a scheme that I'm keeping quiet on until it's done. I just hope I can pull it off!