Boeing 747 for the RAF .....

Started by Knightflyer, July 16, 2018, 10:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Yes, Royal Flight, with a secondary role as an airborne command post with lots and lots of extra antennae etc etc.

When used for transporting HRH it would need to use the callsign Royal Air Force One
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Knightflyer

Quote from: JayBee on July 17, 2018, 11:21:42 AM
Yes, Royal Flight, with a secondary role as an airborne command post with lots and lots of extra antennae etc etc.

When used for transporting HRH it would need to use the callsign Royal Air Force One[/size]

Well partly right  ;D - definitely Royal Flight, but no additional bumps and lumps

Something similar to below, although the cheatline will be different as I've got to incorporate the KLM decal one from the kit as it has all the windows on it! :lol:

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Knightflyer

Well not a lot done, but we have forward movement. Wing halves glued together, engines halves glued together and front faces hollowed out (more work needed there.) Lead placed in fuselage halves and wings glued to fuselage halves

Will hopefully close the fuselage today, tidy up the join, add the tail-planes and SPRAYYYYYYYYYYY! (and pray as well!)  ;D

Knightflyer

So I sprayed the fuselage and wings yesterday - probably too heavy handedly, but we'll see  :unsure:

Masking today, and a fairly good job by my standards I think ....but the bar is set pretty low there!  ;D

So if I follow what Weaver said here http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,45472.0.html I should now spray again with white, to seal and prevent and leaks with the red that I'm going to apply?

Anyway, with that quandary awaiting me - here's the work in progress pics. I didn't ake any pics pre-masking, I thought pictures of a white model spray plainted white was too boring, even for this threa ;Dd! 

Old Wombat

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 19, 2018, 05:43:36 AM
So if I follow what Weaver said here http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,45472.0.html I should now spray again with white, to seal and prevent and leaks with the red that I'm going to apply?

Yes. :thumbsup:

But make sure you've sealed down the tape as well as you possibly can first. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2018, 03:09:08 AM
Quote from: Knightflyer on July 17, 2018, 03:03:40 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2018, 02:48:17 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 17, 2018, 12:47:41 AM

Makes me wonder what a 747 in a Hemp livery might look like...?

Even worse, a 1/144 scale hemp 747? Or, perish the thought, a 1/72 scale one!!  :banghead: :banghead:

Well Anigrand Craftswork do a 1/72 Boeing 747 VC-25A 'Air Force One' for £312.30  :o ..... Go on Kit, you know you want to!  ;D

Not at any price, especially not at THAT price!

Aircraft in Miniature ones are half that price. The two I have though are earmarked for other projects, the shuttle carrier and a YAL-1
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

AS.12

Mention of 'Empire' up-thread has just made me think of a 747 trooper-refueller in sand-and-brown desert camo with white-painted hump.  I think I need to sit down before I faint.

Knightflyer

Quote from: AS.12 on July 19, 2018, 10:23:08 AM
Mention of 'Empire' up-thread has just made me think of a 747 trooper-refueller in sand-and-brown desert camo with white-painted hump.  I think I need to sit down before I faint.

Well 'Empire' is definitely where I'm heading, but an Empire where using a Boeing is still 'buying British' ..... think something similar to 'The Two Georges'

And as I've mentioned on 'My stash just grew again 2018' there is another 1:450 747 on the way, but this is going to be in Hemp and I'm not buying another one!  ;D

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

jcf

I prefer to seal the edges of the tape with a light coating of a clear varnish applied with a brush, I use Tamiya Acrylic
Clear, it seals the tape and levels off/cures to an almost invisible seal. I use it under water-thinned acrylics, enamels,
and lacquers and it works equally well under all of them with no ill effects.

Knightflyer

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 19, 2018, 01:05:44 PM

I prefer to seal the edges of the tape with a light coating of a clear varnish applied with a brush, I use Tamiya Acrylic
Clear, it seals the tape and levels off/cures to an almost invisible seal. I use it under water-thinned acrylics, enamels,
and lacquers and it works equally well under all of them with no ill effects.

Hi Jon - thanks for the tip. I've already gone with Weaver's one this time, but I shall give yours a try next time. Main thing seems to be to ensure the edge of the masking tape is sealed in some way, before applying the final colour.

TheChronicOne

That's one of my favorite tricks and I can second the technique. I always just used the the same paint I had just got done using, though. Haven't tried using clear but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, I've just always wondered if it could somehow change the finish of the paint on top. I'd feel obligated to at least cover all of the exposed areas in case it did whereas with paint I can "cheat" sometimes I just get by painting along the tape edges instead of an entire coat.

FWIW....   
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 19, 2018, 10:39:37 AM

Well 'Empire' is definitely where I'm heading, but an Empire where using a Boeing is still 'buying British' ..... think something similar to 'The Two Georges'

:thumbsup:

I prefer to seal the edges of the tape with a light coating of a clear varnish applied with a brush,

Yup. I use this method at times as well. The key words are "light coating". Guess how I know ?  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 20, 2018, 06:45:38 AM
Quote from: Knightflyer on July 19, 2018, 10:39:37 AM

:thumbsup:

I prefer to seal the edges of the tape with a light coating of a clear varnish applied with a brush,

Yup. I use this method at times as well. The key words are "light coating". Guess how I know ?  :rolleyes:

Unfortunately for me the terms "heavy-handed" and "applied by Knightflyer" tend to be  synonymous - Guess how I know!  :rolleyes: :banghead:

AS.12

So, apply varnish along the tape?  Or actually bridging the edge of the tape and the exposed surface?