Boeing 747 for the RAF .....

Started by Knightflyer, July 16, 2018, 10:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AS.12 on July 20, 2018, 09:58:12 AM

So, apply varnish along the tape?  Or actually bridging the edge of the tape and the exposed surface?

The latter, then it seals any leakage paths under the tape before you apply the other colour coat.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Looking good ! The mighty 747 will always be a favourite.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Knightflyer

So here's a question for you, how big is the lettering on the side of "AIR FORCE ONE'?

Considering my own 'Royal Air Force One' (Working Title!  <_<) and lettering available, The words 'ROYAL AIR FORCE' are available (Real world height) in  4, 6 and 8 inches on my 1:72nd decal sheet making them actually 1.41, 2.12 and 2.82mm high. so if I have my calculations right, on the side of 'Royal Air Force One' in 1:450 scale they would have the scale real height of 635 mm (2ft 1in), 952.5 mm (3ft 1.5in) and 1270mm (4ft 2in) . So I reckon to use either of the larger two sizes with the smaller size used for the individual aircraft name (eg 'Bob') somewhere on the nose?

What do you reckon?

Roundels will be big (relatively speaking) red, white and blue roundels (they are relatively small on the BAe 146) in all six positions and a Union Flag (if I can find one) - on the tail

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

You may find Union Flags on some British airliner decals. There was a period when they carried them right at the top of the fin, or forward above the pax entry doors.

PLEASE don't put your 'ROYAL AIR FORCE' titles slap down the centre of the fuselage as the three RAF EC-135 Rivet Joints had when they first arrived, that looked TERRIBLE!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 21, 2018, 01:37:59 AM
You may find Union Flags on some British airliner decals. There was a period when they carried them right at the top of the fin, or forward above the pax entry doors.

PLEASE don't put your 'ROYAL AIR FORCE' titles slap down the centre of the fuselage as the three RAF EC-135 Rivet Joints had when they first arrived, that looked TERRIBLE!  :banghead:
Thanks for the tip Kit

Knightflyer

I think Model Art did a sheet with some on and also some-one did a sheet of Union Flags for RFC aircraft - I think I might have both sheets somewhere ;D (if I can find them!)

Noted - I've just has a look at some pics. I'm aiming for something similar to what was on the VC10s etc when they were in grey and white

Knightflyer

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 21, 2018, 01:49:42 AM

Noted - I've just has a look at some pics. I'm aiming for something similar to what was on the VC10s etc when they were in grey and white

I'd forgotten - but back in 2013 I'd done this  ;D Now that lettering looks a bit too small now!  :o

PR19_Kit

Ooooh, that 777 does look good! What scale is it?

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 21, 2018, 03:41:15 AM
Ooooh, that 777 does look good! What scale is it?

1:300 scale - it was this kit, Kit  :lol:

PR19_Kit

That's a tiddler, but it still looks good. Of course I'm so used to my monster 777-900 that almost ANYTHING looks a tiddler to me now.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

So here we are, masking tape removed and this is as it appears at the moment

Tail-planes added (not glued) in place so it looks more like it should. It should look a little less red when I add the blue cheat-line (and windows) from the original decals.

Must admit to this being a second respray. In my impatience after the first spraying session I added the red and then managed to get 'pink' smudges on the top and bottom of the aircraft. So had to re-mask to hide the red and respray again  :banghead:   :-\One is learning though!

TheChronicOne

Looking good!! Just needs some touch up but looks like the bulk of painting and masking is done. Phew!   Good recover, too, that red and white is notorious for being messy at times.  ;D ;D ;D

Was is it they call that red white and black type paint job?? Raspberry ripple or some such? It sounds like a dessert is all I know and this reminds me of it. I'm having flashbacks to my super tucano.  :o
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Oh, she's a tiddler  :o I didn't realise that
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

So Jumbo No.1

I was very good and actually managed to keep my mitts of this rather than 'creating an erroneous situation' again!  ;D

I did glue on the main undercarriage (as such) to see how it stood whilst I painted the engines

and then this morning, added engines and the remaining (central main) undercarriage - which just 'sit' on the lower fuselage without any locating holes

It still looks 'very white' (and red!) but I'm hoping the blue band from the original KLM decals will complement and tone the red and white down a bit