Boeing 747 for the RAF .....

Started by Knightflyer, July 16, 2018, 10:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 30, 2018, 02:53:18 AM

Boeing Duwamps C.Mk.1 anybody!  :wacko: ;D

You can hear the kids now " Duwamp, duwamp"  ;D

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2018, 08:31:05 AM

US aircraft in British service were meant to have names of towns/cities/counties  that existed in both countries, like Boston, Washington etc. but this seems to have been honoured in the breach rather than the observance.

And yet again something I didn't know.

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 29, 2018, 11:32:27 PM

I had always thought Seattle was the capital of the state of Washington, but it's 'only' the largest city, which is still a very good reason for using the name, but that does now give me another contender name, that of the state capital Olympia which is a pretty suitable and grand sounding name for the 747 don't you think? Boeing Olympia C.Mk.1 anybody?

Yup, lots, if not most ?, US States can catch you out like that. Fair few other countries as well. It's when countries have an administrative "capital" as well as a "capital" that I get caught out.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AS.12

In our Real World the designator / callsign for HRH being flown is KRF / KITTYHAWK, or KRH / SPARROWHAWK for a chartered aircraft.  Doesn't really have the gravitas it merits.

Another oddity is that AIR FORCE [ONE|TWO] aren't actually allocated ICAO callsigns.  SAM is how they file on the flightplans, another backronym; Special Air Mission.  But I think everyone agrees that they chose the name first!  But they set their Mode-S transponders to AF1 and AF2 which is actually quite naughty, those designators aren't valid.