Boeing 747 for the RAF .....

Started by Knightflyer, July 16, 2018, 10:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AS.12

Ascot One

Air Support Command Operational Tasking - probably a backronym, I prefer to believe that someone just picked Ascot because it sounded British.

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on July 29, 2018, 01:08:33 AM
Or Royal Air Force One.

Which puts it a step or two above the mere "Air Force One". ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Knightflyer

Quote from: nighthunter on July 28, 2018, 02:31:42 PM
Britannia One!
Quote from: zenrat on July 29, 2018, 01:08:33 AM
Or Royal Air Force One.
Quote from: AS.12 on July 29, 2018, 02:36:15 AM
Ascot One

Air Support Command Operational Tasking - probably a backronym, I prefer to believe that someone just picked Ascot because it sounded British.

Well because of the Universe this actual model exists in - one where an Imperial Commonwealth exists and the United States never existed (instead we have British North America which is Canada and parts of the US) the aircraft actually has a name 'Imperia' as it is one-off aircraft. Of course the 'Air Force One' won't have existed in this universe, but as it's the premier aircraft of the RAF 'Royal Air Force One' seems reasonable, but as a named the press might have dubbed it rather than an official one? I do like the 'Ascot' moniker (makes me think of Operation Goodwood?) but again maybe the name the RAF gives to the operation of flying Her Majesty from A to B rather than the aircraft itself. "Imperia has taken off, ASCOT 1 is go" ?

As for Britannia One - well before I went down the route of this 'quick-build' 747 I have in my stash a Revell 1/144 A380 which was going to get the Red and White Royal Flight treatment and that has always been 'Britannia' in my mind - with a poached Britannia logo on the nose

One thought is what would the 747 be called in RAF service if there was a fleet of them - I'm thinking about this for The Big Hemp One - I quite like the Boeing Seattle C.Mk.1 ??
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

I have a novel somewhere which has a similar historical setting to the one you are using. wherever your idea came from I do like it and the idea of "Imperia has taken off, ASCOT 1 is go" is so right  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 29, 2018, 05:47:29 AM
I have a novel somewhere which has a similar historical setting to the one you are using. wherever your idea came from I do like it and the idea of "Imperia has taken off, ASCOT 1 is go" is so right  :thumbsup:

I think 'British North America' is from 'The Two Georges' (Martin Luther King was Govenor General or whatever replaced the US President??) but I didn't want to poach any further  ;D

NARSES2

I shall try and find my book.

I also have memories of a series of stories in one of the satirical magazines based on "America returning to the fold" and ending with the then US President handing over the keys to the Whitehouse to the newly appointed Governor General  :angel: ;D

May have been Private Eye ? May have been Ian Hislop, but was certainly 40 years ago or so.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 29, 2018, 04:19:40 AM

One thought is what would the 747 be called in RAF service if there was a fleet of them - I'm thinking about this for The Big Hemp One - I quite like the Boeing Seattle C.Mk.1 ??

US aircraft in British service were meant to have names of towns/cities/counties  that existed in both countries, like Boston, Washington etc. but this seems to have been honoured in the breach rather than the observance.

I don't think there's a 'Seattle' in the UK, but it fits the aircraft very well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2018, 08:31:05 AM
Quote from: Knightflyer on July 29, 2018, 04:19:40 AM

US aircraft in British service were meant to have names of towns/cities/counties  that existed in both countries, like Boston, Washington etc. but this seems to have been honoured in the breach rather than the observance.

I don't think there's a 'Seattle' in the UK, but it fits the aircraft very well.

No, but very near Seattle is a Renton and a Bellevue, both of which are towns in the UK too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

nighthunter

:wacko: What about a Redmond? (Says the guy who lives in the Puget Sound Region)
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Knightflyer

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 29, 2018, 11:10:44 AM

No, but very near Seattle is a Renton and a Bellevue, both of which are towns in the UK too.

Quote from: nighthunter on July 29, 2018, 10:09:24 PM
:wacko: What about a Redmond? (Says the guy who lives in the Puget Sound Region)

Thanks for the suggestions - what hasn't helped is my tiny brain has kept think SeAttle (USA) was the same as Settle (Yorkshire, England) and the difference was all down to regional accent!  :o  :banghead:

Nothing against Renton and Redmond, but they sound more like people's names? Bellevue is a possibility, it'd be alliterative as well  ;D

I had always thought Seattle was the capital of the state of Washington, but it's 'only' the largest city, which is still a very good reason for using the name, but that does now give me another contender name, that of the state capital Olympia which is a pretty suitable and grand sounding name for the 747 don't you think? Boeing Olympia C.Mk.1 anybody?

zenrat

...I don't think there's a 'Seattle' in the UK, but it fits the aircraft very well.

Seattle was named after the local chief .

From wikipedia.
"After a difficult winter, most of the Denny Party relocated across Elliott Bay and claimed land a second time at the site of present-day Pioneer Square, naming this new settlement Duwamps.
Charles Terry and John Low remained at the original landing location and reestablished their old land claim and called it "New York", but renamed "New York Alki" in April 1853, from a Chinook word meaning, roughly, "by and by" or "someday".
For the next few years, New York Alki and Duwamps competed for dominance, but in time Alki was abandoned and its residents moved across the bay to join the rest of the settlers.
David Swinson "Doc" Maynard, one of the founders of Duwamps, was the primary advocate to name the settlement after Chief Seattle ("Seattle") of the Duwamish and Suquamish tribes.
"

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Knightflyer

Quote from: zenrat on July 30, 2018, 02:42:14 AM

Seattle was named after the local chief .

From wikipedia.
"After a difficult winter, most of the Denny Party relocated across Elliott Bay and claimed land a second time at the site of present-day Pioneer Square, naming this new settlement Duwamps.
Charles Terry and John Low remained at the original landing location and reestablished their old land claim and called it "New York", but renamed "New York Alki" in April 1853, from a Chinook word meaning, roughly, "by and by" or "someday".
For the next few years, New York Alki and Duwamps competed for dominance, but in time Alki was abandoned and its residents moved across the bay to join the rest of the settlers.
David Swinson "Doc" Maynard, one of the founders of Duwamps, was the primary advocate to name the settlement after Chief Seattle ("Seattle") of the Duwamish and Suquamish tribes.
"

Boeing Duwamps C.Mk.1 anybody!  :wacko: ;D