C-130 Hercules

Started by Nigel Bunker, May 22, 2003, 06:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Quote from: Weaver on June 02, 2009, 03:56:02 AM
I think Soviet cargo planes (An-12s?) dropped FAMs in Afghanistan, and An-26s have also been used in Ethiopia?

Antonovs of all types have been used in most 3rd world conflicts. India has also made great use of them. An-26s and An-32s came with the option of bomb racks from the factory, while on the An-12 they were just pushed out the back.

NARSES2

In all honesty this has always been done - the first "bombing" raids involved chucking grenades, bombs or darts out of the cockpit. An Italian Bleriot type in Lybia circa 1911/1912 was the first I think. So what goes around comes around.

And yes I know bomb racks are a little more sophisticated then throwing things out, but probably no more accurate. ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Taiidantomcat

LOL You have to dive it a little, baby  :wacko:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Shasper

I do find it notable that the Grunts are going to use the 30mm version of the Bushmaster, which was recently disqualified from use on the AFSOC U-boats. . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Hman

This months Air International, has an interesting article on International Air Response, who worked on the Killer Herc Programme.

I found this - http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/forums/killer-herc-13886.aspx and http://www.1370th.org/rc130/512/512.htm
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

chrisonord

Hmmm,
Would it not have been easier and cheaper to just fly the UAV out of the back of the Herc??
They could have launched several also. Looks a bit of a rigmarole to me.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

rickshaw

Quote from: Wyrmshadow on April 27, 2009, 12:55:11 AM
The biggest problem I have with the UC-130... is that neither loadmasters... nor paratroopers would appreciate not having a flesh and blood pilot at the controls.

I suspect the UC-130s would be used for "routine" resupply flights to and from theatre, rather than in theatre transport of troops and/or equipment.  Therefore a UC-5 (UC-141 style) transport would be more appropriate than a tactical transport like the C-130.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Just call me Ray

Or, if its not doing air drops, I guess the loadmasters could just debark the aircraft after they're done loading? :huh:

Maybe they could figure out a way to automate the air drop procedure.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Shasper

I dont think it would be too difficult . . . just have a auto switch set to drop the ramp & flip the green light when the a/c passes pre-programmed GPS coordinates.

Shas 8)
- Bud S.

rickshaw

Quote from: Shasper on June 28, 2009, 06:44:21 PM
I dont think it would be too difficult . . . just have a auto switch set to drop the ramp & flip the green light when the a/c passes pre-programmed GPS coordinates.

Shas 8)

Already been done.  Its how most modern airdrops are handled.  The Navigator tells the pilot when the GPS co-ords are right, the pilot pulls the nose up and the stuff falls out the bum of the Herc.   ;D

Shasper

Well yeah I kinda figured they did it that way now . . . all I was saying is make it to where the man is out of the loop :/

In more conventional news, last weeks Av Week mentions that LM & AFSOC are looking at a AC-130J based on the current MC/HC-130J proposal.

Now imagine a hi-lo mix of Juliette Spectras & AC-27Js . . . Giggity!

Shas 8)
- Bud S.

rickshaw

Quote from: Shasper on June 29, 2009, 01:12:51 PM
Well yeah I kinda figured they did it that way now . . . all I was saying is make it to where the man is out of the loop :/

There are also plans now for self-steering parachutes which use GPS to land the load exactly on the spot after they leave the plane.  No humans in that loop.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on June 30, 2009, 02:36:09 AM
Quote from: Shasper on June 29, 2009, 01:12:51 PM

There are also plans now for self-steering parachutes which use GPS to land the load exactly on the spot after they leave the plane.  No humans in that loop.

That would have been useful when I did my Charity Parachute Jump  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this site. It seems to me that we are all on the same wavelength. The C-130 amphibian one step-hull design has already been thought of. What a brilliant idea. The C-130 "float plane" was championed by Lockheed using the C-130J with a trimaran float arrangement. Tests showed that a 30% reduction in payload and range due to the drag caused by the floats. The one-step hull meant that the engines cleared the water, a large side pontoon was added for stability and refueling at sea. I'm sure weapons or search & rescue gear could be stowed in them or extra fuel.
Has anyone built this as a model?
Could some one point me in the right direction for a four engined Br 1150 Atlantic?
And do you know where I can get 1:72 eight bladed engine props from?
Many thanks,
Steven "Sapper" McColm 

anthonyp

My buddy at work bought a 1/72 C-130J last week, and I got to fondle it a bit.  He got bored with it and bought a 1/48 version, and offered me the 1/72 at half what he bought it for.  Of course I said yes.

But when he first brought it in, we were brainstorming on how to Whif it.  I came up with a 120mm from an M1A1, a Bofors or two, and a GAU-8.  Today, we were talking, and I came up with a new obscene mod for it:  MLRS cells!!!  Fired out the back!  Yeah, I was in an odd mood.

Other potential weapons on my AC-130J Apparition could be GAU-13's, side fired 2.75 rockets, the tactical laser system, or the microwave pain beam.  Even went so far to talk to him at length about a 155mm firing out the side, with a cut out in the fuselage on the other side to allow the cannon to recoil through the hull.   ;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man