C-130 Hercules

Started by Nigel Bunker, May 22, 2003, 06:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

I'd think a 27mm or 30mm for the low end while that 120 does sound tasty . . . Could the airframe take the recoil?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Weaver

Quote from: anthonyp on July 30, 2009, 06:53:30 PM
My buddy at work bought a 1/72 C-130J last week, and I got to fondle it a bit.  He got bored with it and bought a 1/48 version, and offered me the 1/72 at half what he bought it for.  Of course I said yes.

But when he first brought it in, we were brainstorming on how to Whif it.  I came up with a 120mm from an M1A1, a Bofors or two, and a GAU-8.  Today, we were talking, and I came up with a new obscene mod for it:  MLRS cells!!!  Fired out the back!  Yeah, I was in an odd mood.

Other potential weapons on my AC-130J Apparition could be GAU-13's, side fired 2.75 rockets, the tactical laser system, or the microwave pain beam.  Even went so far to talk to him at length about a 155mm firing out the side, with a cut out in the fuselage on the other side to allow the cannon to recoil through the hull.   ;D

I had an idea (which please feel free to nick) for a side-firing ATGW launcher on a gunship which sits on a rail under the tail: it slides out through the open top half of the rear door for firing then slides back for reloading. I was thinking in terms of a Russian gunship purely because I've got some spare AT-6 tubes, but it would work well (better, actually) on a C-130. Have to be Hellfires though: wire-guided ones just wouldn't work! Would probably work for rockets too, though they'd be hellishly inaccurate: probably have to be fast-jet CRV-7s. It'd also work for a recoiless gun....  :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

anthonyp

Quote from: Shasper on July 30, 2009, 07:39:21 PM
I'd think a 27mm or 30mm for the low end while that 120 does sound tasty . . . Could the airframe take the recoil?

Shas 8)

Could if you follow the logic for my 155 on a Herc (hole through the hull for recoil)  LOL!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Shasper

Sounds like a good idea, I'd only be worried about hull integrity but then again this is Whiff!!!

Shas b)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

GTX

A rough jet C-130 (made up engines):

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Sauragnmon

hehehe... I always wondered what a B-130 would look like... just a random thought off the top of my skull.  She's got a hell of a payload, imagine her as a bomber?
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Steel Penguin

dont think this has been mentioned above but any thoughts on a modular back C130 sort of like a cross between a skycrane and an Eagle from space 1999.
a vaugly tear drop capsule at the front for crew then a high spine and long drop spats for the gear and spine back to the tail.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Weaver

Quote from: Steel Penguin on August 01, 2009, 01:11:07 AM
dont think this has been mentioned above but any thoughts on a modular back C130 sort of like a cross between a skycrane and an Eagle from space 1999.
a vaugly tear drop capsule at the front for crew then a high spine and long drop spats for the gear and spine back to the tail.

Why not wing-mounted gear coming off the inboard engines? If you wanted to retract such gear, it would be so long that a twin-boom layout would start to look desirable. Now that might be interesting: What If Lockheed had followed the examples of Fairchild (C-119), Armstrong Whitworth (Argosy) and Nord (Noratlas) and made the C-130 twin-boom?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: GTX on July 31, 2009, 03:28:14 PMA rough jet C-130 (made up engines)
Greg,

Nice effort, now try and do it again with the An-72 style arrangement to blow over the top of the wings.  It might also help for reducing FOD when operating from unprepared surfaces. 

Modellversium has just posted some images of a 1/48th scale Italeri C-130 that was built by Axel Grundmann today.  The reason for mentioning this is because Axel too the time to light up the interior of he model to very good effect and I thought it was worth sharing.  Here is the link to Axel's C-130 in the markings of the Chilean Air Force. 

I would like to know what he used for the roller strips on the deck.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jeffry Fontaine

Thanks to SketchUp and some really nice 3D engine models and a medicore 3D C-130 model I was able to realize my own interpretation of Greg's jet engine C-130.  I present now, the C-130DTF Hercules with huge ducted fans.  It was a relatively simple modification once I eliminated the engine support pylon, the C-130 propeller and added a plug to the T56 nacelle upon which to mate up the jet engine.  The added benefit of editing the component was that I only had to do the modification once and SketchUp triplicated my efforts so all of the engines were modified at the same time.  I must say that those huge ducted fans do look impressive and you would no longer have to worry about walking into a spinning propeller while the engines are running on the ground.  A definite plus for the ground crew as well as personnel embarking or debarking the aircraft. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Sauragnmon

Jeeez, Jeff - no, you wouldn't have to worry about being diced by the propeller, but you might have to worry about being sucked into those massive frigging fans - those are HUGE!

Aside - interesting part of the exhaust is blown over the wing though.  Going for an externally blown flap effect?
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

John1964

Sounds more like Thunderbird Two!

jcf

Quote from: John1964 on December 13, 2009, 03:33:40 PM

Sounds more like Thunderbird Two!

Or a super-sized Miles M.68 Boxcar:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1947/1947%20-%201492.html
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1947/1947%20-%201608.html
http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/miles_m-68.php

;)

Chris707

Or how's about an "Ultimate Herk" or one-plane air force:

C-130J-30 fuselage and engines
partial AC-130 armament - say the forward guns
EC-130V rotodome
Firebee carrying Mavericks under one wing
Hellfire launcher under the other
MC-130H nose

paint it all black like the Lockheed L-100 HTTB!

Chris
-------------------------------------
C-130 3-view

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader