C-130 Hercules

Started by Nigel Bunker, May 22, 2003, 06:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on July 19, 2010, 07:04:59 PM

Mmm, something along the lines of the AW.681.  Shame no one makes a kit but you could use a Hercules as a starting point, I suppose.

I've a Brochure about the AW.681 on CD which I picked up off eBay a couple of years ago and it has had some influence on my thinking.  But mainly it's because of my STOVL Canberra project I've been doing, I was thinking of going the same route using two 1/48 Harriers I have and sticking them on a 1/72 Transall but using an Airbus A320 wing instead, the two wings have about the same lifting capabilities.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 20, 2010, 06:32:32 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on July 19, 2010, 07:04:59 PM

Mmm, something along the lines of the AW.681.  Shame no one makes a kit but you could use a Hercules as a starting point, I suppose.

I've a Brochure about the AW.681 on CD which I picked up off eBay a couple of years ago and it has had some influence on my thinking.  But mainly it's because of my STOVL Canberra project I've been doing, I was thinking of going the same route using two 1/48 Harriers I have and sticking them on a 1/72 Transall but using an Airbus A320 wing instead, the two wings have about the same lifting capabilities.

Mmm, doable.  1/48 Pegasus is roughly 25mm.  A 1/72 RB.211 is roughly 29mm, according to Wikipedia's specifications for both.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Batman10

Back in the 1960's Lockheed initiated a project called HOW Hercules on water. Some of this engineering was later incorporated into the YMC-130 Credible Sport C-130 and the HTTB. High Technology testbed.
Enjoy the drawings. The final 2 drawings are in 1/72nd scale of the wing and fuselage modifications.

Enjoy.
Batman

An Airplane is just a collection of spare parts flying in close formation in relation to each other.

Cobra

Very Cool & Interesting. Why does this Almost feel like something you'd see in an Episode of Thunderbirds? or in one of the Wingman Novels. Thanks for posting. :cheers: :cheers:Dan

McColm

Fantastic!!
The C-17 cries out for the same transformation.

Batman10

Quote from: Nigel Bunker on May 22, 2003, 06:03:00 AM
May I refer you to page 72 0f the June 2003 issue of Air International.

Someone's taken the Fairey Rotodyne and updated it. Imagine a C-130 with Rotodyne rotor column, H-53 rotor and tail surfaces replaced by ones looking like those on an E-2.

They'll probably never fly it but what if...................... :TT

When I get my scanner working, I'll post a picture.

Nigel,
This site has everything you blokes have been talking about.
http://www.combatreform.org/c130.htm

I am the one who posted the Credible Sport footage on You Tube. I have hundreds of documents on the program.

Batman / credible sport
An Airplane is just a collection of spare parts flying in close formation in relation to each other.

Batman10

The Hell Fire Missile has been test fired on the Marine Battle Herk and the AC-130U.
The AC-130 H/U have also dropped Jdams. The HellFire is being consideed for deployment on MC-130 Combat Talon Aircraft.
The wide Body C-130 was first proposed in the 1970's as an alternative to the C-17 program. See a 1977 version of Air International.

All of this engineering Horsals and Dorsals were incorporated into the YMC-130 Credible Sport Design and the HTTB design.

I will post information later.

Batman

Batman10

Credible Sport and HTTB Drawings.

Your Welcome to all.

Here are some Drawings of the Credible Sport YMC-130 Hercules. and HTTB.

The Genesis of the Hercules Stol modifications began in the 1960's. However it was not until the 1970's, when Lockheed was contracted by the USAF to propose a C-130 with a wider and higher fuselage to compete with the C-17. Thus was the C-130SS Stretched Stol idea born. This idea would later Result in the Credible Sport YMC-130H and the HTTB or High Technology Testbed. Now Lockheed is proposing a Wide body C-130.
Lockheed Martin confirms studies are under way for a new version of the C-130 featuring a wider fuselage to accommodate a proposed class of US Army ground vehicles entering service after 2015. The enlarged airlifter would compete against the Airbus Military A400M and Boeing's proposed C-17B to support the army's Future Combat System.
So this design has been around since the 1970s or for 40 years.

So Feast your eyes upon the HTTB. I had the pleasure to work at Lockheed Ontario from 1986 to 1990 and obtained many of these Drawings there. I had a personal tour of the HTTB by one of the Pilots, I climbed all over the airplane and measured nearly every special modified part of the airplane.

In memory of those who Perished in February 1993.

Batman10

Hi
You can buy the 8 bladed props from Hobby Link Japan.
You have to buy the tree for the E-2 Hawkeye with the 8 bladed props.
you will need to buy 2 trees from 2 kits.
None Avail in after market kits yet that I am aware of.
There were some produced by some Chinese Taiwan company. I do not know if they are still in business.

If you find some let me know.
Cheers,
Batman

Batman10

Have you thought about how do you are going to add the engine Nacelles? You will need 2 P-3 Orion kits for the conversion. or make molds of the outer engines the props and front top and bottom of the nacelles. Then cast them in resin. Cut them and cut the parts to fit.

Good Luck. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.
Batman

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 11, 2008, 01:06:10 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 11, 2008, 12:15:22 PM
If one looks carefully a the illustration of the C-130 on floats it becomes apparent that the floats are flat on the inboard side, in other words they are like the sponsons of a pickle-fork hull ( were you originally looking at a hydro model?)... so would cutting one of the floats you bought down the centreline give you something usable? Or is it still too large?

Jon

My original thoughts to make this conversion was to use a twin hull powerboat which has these vertical sides, I was told by some boat orientated guy that the term was either Channel or Tunnel hull, but since then I think the guy was thinking about another type of powerboat hull, like what you see in the Unlimited Powerboat racing series.  I was thinking more of an open sea powerboat twin hull, but I have to admit I've not heard of the term 'pickle-fork' before.  After seeing the floats I found at the store yesterday, I thought I could do just you say, cut it down the middle and add card to make a vertical surface.

But these floats are just way too big for a 1/72 C-130, but (grinding gear noises going on here) I did read about a proposed C-5 floatplane, or was it a C-17  :wacko:
In the picture the floats look to be about the same length as the C-130's fuselage so I think if I was to take a number of section profiles of these floats, then scale the whole thing down so they end up at the same length as the fuselage, the rest of it will fall into place.

Aussie747

Thanks Batman!

I have been looking for HTTB stuff like that on the wings and flaps for a while. This will be a great help.

Now I just need to find someone to print some white decals for me.

:cheers:
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

McColm

Hi,
I've seen pictures of super stretched C-130s, twin engines and even a wide bodied. Has anyone thought of a Guppy or Super Guppy version ?

dy031101

So...... is this how the combo-tanker/gunship Hercules for the USMC might look like, huh......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Fulcrum

Quote from: dy031101 on January 05, 2011, 01:48:21 PM
So...... is this how the combo-tanker/gunship Hercules for the USMC might look like, huh......
That could get a little dangerous with the combination of fuel & munitions in the middle of a war zone.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

rickshaw

Quote from: Fulcrum on January 05, 2011, 11:47:19 PM
Quote from: dy031101 on January 05, 2011, 01:48:21 PM
That could get a little dangerous with the combination of fuel & munitions in the middle of a war zone.

One would assume or at least hope that whilst it could fulfil both missions, they would not be undertaken simultaneously.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.