C-130 Hercules

Started by Nigel Bunker, May 22, 2003, 06:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenP

Wonder if the RAF and RAAF had used them in Borneo instead of the Beverley, Hastings and Argosy ho they would have been received

rickshaw

RAAF would have found it a bit hard to operate Beverleys, Argosies or Hastings as it never operated them at all.

Their Hercules were used in Borneo though, but as strategic transports, routing around Indonesia, into Butterworth and then onwards.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

Of course they would have !

Unless they had DHC Caribou  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on March 11, 2014, 08:11:43 PM
RAAF would have found it a bit hard to operate Beverleys, Argosies or Hastings as it never operated them at all.

This is WhiffWorld, of COURSE they did!  ;D :lol:

And their Andovers as well...........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 11, 2014, 08:44:01 PM
Of course they would have !

Unless they had DHC Caribou  :thumbsup:

Actually, the RAAF's Caribous initially went straight to Vietnam.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

DarrenP

The Air resupply for FOB's and Patrols carried out by air was split between the RAF and RNZAF. Using Argosy , Beverley, Hastings and Bristol Freighters. Personally I think the RAF should have goten more Hercules instead of the Argosy. And I suspect the Andover was also bought because of lessons learnt in Borneo and Aden but would say the RAF should have goten DHC-4 Caribou or DHC-5 Buffalo aircraft.

NARSES2

Mate of mine served in the RASC air supply in Borneo. On one trip they were parachuting supplies to Gurkha's who required their food to be "live". On dropping a box of chickens they realised one had escaped into the cabin. After some effort it was captured and tossed out of the open door. Apparently chickens can't fly....but it tried  :wacko:

Can you imagine if that happened now and the media found out ???
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

From the books I've been reading lately (Chris Gibson ones), it seems the RAF (Ministry) could have bought any of the USA aircraft as they were all much cheaper to buy.  But the 'powesr-that-be' were also trying to make sure there was an military aircraft industry in the UK, so the RAF got the Argosy , Beverley, Hastings, Bristol Freighters and others.

You've seen in the last few years what happens when the industry doesn't get protected ---  and once you lose your technical staff (and their experience), you've lost it for good --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 12, 2014, 07:08:30 AM
Mate of mine served in the RASC air supply in Borneo. On one trip they were parachuting supplies to Gurkha's who required their food to be "live". On dropping a box of chickens they realised one had escaped into the cabin. After some effort it was captured and tossed out of the open door. Apparently chickens can't fly....but it tried  :wacko:

Can you imagine if that happened now and the media found out ???

A TV show in the US about a radio station had much the same thing in one of their episodes. It involved throwing turkeys out of a helicopter for a Thanksgiving day PR stunt. The episode ended with the "news report" about live turkey thudding to the ground in a parking lot. Every episode after that where the experience was mentioned the station manager would shout "I thought turkeys could fly!"
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

WKRP.....with Les Nessman reporting the tragedy ! That was funny stuff.....

:lol:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

The RAF were considering building the C-160 under license, if the C-130 deal hadn't gone through.

AS.12

A livery what-if...

QuotePRESIDENT REAGAN'S Administration has cleared Iraq to buy up to 12 Lockheed L-100 Hercules, the commercial version of the C-130.
The US State Department says Iraq must "promise" not to use the Hercules for combat operations.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1982/1982%20-%201090.html

Logan Hartke

Here's an odd one ripped from the headlines:

Flightglobal: USAF flaunts 'arsenal plane' concept at Air Warfare Symposium

The love child of a C-130 and a B-52, it reminds me a lot of the old C-123A, just sixty years on!

Cheers,

Logan

McColm

Interesting idea :banghead:
Got an 1/200 B-52G in the stash and two 1/72 C-130E/H and the other is a C-130J waiting to be collected from my local Post Office.

zenrat

Unmanned C130s flying around spewing out drone bombs...
...one more step closer to Skynet.
:wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..