C-130 Hercules

Started by Nigel Bunker, May 22, 2003, 06:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

There's a small article in Combat Aircraft along with a photo of an 'H' being converted to use the EP-2000 eight blade props, I would have thought they would be used on the 'big guy'
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

So there I was looking at pictures of the Marshall Aerospace C-130K/TP-400 testbed flying:

when I thought - what about a twin engined C-130 using TP-400s?

A quick check of the power offerings of the engines:

C-130H:
4 x Allison T56-A-15 turboprops, 4,300 bhp (3,210 kW) each = total of 6240 kW per wing;

C-130J
4× Rolls-Royce AE 2100D3 turboprops, 4,637 shp (3,458 kW) each = 6916 kW per wing;

Speculative C-130TP400 twin:
2 x EuroProp International TP400-D6 turboprop, 8,250 kW (11,000 hp) each = 8250 kW per wing!

So maybe take a C-130J-30 and fit a single TP400 to each wing - the result a new C-130 with less maintenance but more power!

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on September 24, 2008, 12:03:38 PM
C-130XL

Interesting! :o Somehow missed that first time round.

Quote from: GTX on January 24, 2009, 12:04:58 PM
<...> So maybe take a C-130J-30 and fit a single TP400 to each wing - the result a new C-130 with less maintenance but more power! <...>

Quick! We need a profile!  :wacko: Or maybe JP Vieira could photoshop something, cutting out the Allisons!

This really sounds like it has a lot of potential.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

ChernayaAkula

Nice!  :thumbsup: Looks kinda odd with only two engines, but that may be down to Herkybird being the four-engined transport.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

tinlail

It would be the perfect procurement after the C-27 being picked primarily because it has the same engine as the C-130J.

GTX

That is certainly modelable (is that a word?)!

Regards,

Greg

dy031101

I was going to say something to the effect of the Mi-V12......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ChernayaAkula

That tandem rotor set-up looks great!  :o
Cheers,
Moritz

Aircav

All you need now is 2 Mi-26 halo's  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

ytown2010

what were the competitors to the C-130? did Douglas offer a design?

GTX

Quote from: ytown2010 on February 01, 2009, 02:31:34 AM
what were the competitors to the C-130? did Douglas offer a design?

There's a bit here:  http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,339.0/

Regards,

Greg

Joe C-P

Quote from: Burncycle on April 23, 2008, 05:14:23 PM
How about a C-130 tiltrotor (ala V-22)?

The Appleseed movie had something similar

I've thought about such a thing; a larger four-prop version has been shown elsewhere on this very site.

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Hman

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/04/02/324708/us-marine-corps-plans-to-convert-kc-130j-tankers-into.html

The US Marine Corps has decided to convert some Lockheed Martin KC-130J tankers into combination surveillance platforms and gunships...

Any thoughts?
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

famvburg

Was it Rockwell that had a proposal for a tilt-wing C-130 to support Harriers? I've seen a sketch somewhere before, maybe in an old AW&ST.

PR19_Kit

That should make the C-130 the leader in the 'The airframe used for most taskings' competion, with the Canberra a close second of course.  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit