C-130 Hercules

Started by Nigel Bunker, May 22, 2003, 06:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

How about combining a C-130 with the engine pods from a B-52D for a mid-to-late 1950s medium jet transport?

The result would be reminiscent of the Chase/Fairchild C-123A (XC-20 glider with B-47 engine pods).

Jon

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 03, 2009, 08:58:52 AM
How about combining a C-130 with the engine pods from a B-52D for a mid-to-late 1950s medium jet transport?

Jon, you've just got to get out of my head ----  :wacko: :blink:

I've got some spare B-36 nacelles just for a C-123A too, been looking at the Combat Models vacuform to do the project
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

frank2056

In 1/144 there's the AModel Provider HC-123B ($14) and the Academy B-47B ($15)

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 03, 2009, 06:54:54 PM

Oh jeez, I was wondering what I had stepped in.  ;D

famvburg

I guess that must say something for the Mach 2 C-123, choosing a Combat / Airmodel vac over an injected kit! :)

I've got some spare B-36 nacelles just for a C-123A too, been looking at the Combat Models vacuform to do the project

kitnut617

Well I've got a few Combat Models kits in the stash, C-17 and Buffalo in 1/72 plus a 737 fuselage (for an upcoming project), and they're not as bad as what they're made out to be, certainly on par with some Formaplanes I have.  And seeing as I aim to kitbash it, US$38 is a bit more reasonable than the US$108 the Mach II kit is.  Plus for US$25 I can get the Jerry Rutman detail set for the Combat kit so I'm still ahead (Jerry's detail sets are very nice BTW, got some for my 1/72 C-17, C-133 and C-141 kits)

Quote from: famvburg on April 04, 2009, 06:23:09 AM

I guess that must say something for the Mach 2 C-123, choosing a Combat / Airmodel vac over an injected kit! :)

Dragonflyer

Quote from: Mossie on September 20, 2006, 08:28:33 AM
QuoteYou may be thinking of the Bell X-22 Tilt-duct:

X-22, That's the one, Cheers Jon!  You know when you know what it is your thinking about but it just won't come?  I got Boeing stuck in my hand & just couldn't push it away.  It was bugging me all last night!

Anyway, my idea was to form a gap in the ducts & have the tip jets protruding to increase the rate of rotation.  Probably not a goer, I know very little about ducted fans, putting a gap in the side would probably drastically reduce it's effectiveness unless you put a spacer in to chase the rotors?  Just throwing thoughts around!

I guess your mate Igor is doing very well judging by the amount of concepts on his website:  Kulikov Air

Some very nice looking designs, he obviously likes ducted fans!

Simon.

Simon, that kulikovair link is dead. Please try this: NENAIR. Igor Kulikov

GTX

One I posted in the Uninhabited and unafraid (UCAV, UAV, and Drone Aircraft) thread a little while ago:

In 2009, the USAF (later followed my other Air Forces), decided that using manned crews for transport aircraft was a waste - the missions were fairly straight forward (Take off - Fly - Land) and highly trained crews could be better used elsewhere.  Most transport aircraft such as the existing C-17s etc were converted to be optionally manned.  The most radical change though was the QC-130H - these were already being refurbished so it was decided to save further weight by removing the unnecessary cockpit:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Archibald

Seen this month in Air&Cosmos... looks like the Armée de l'air may buy some C-130J, with all these delays with the A400M.
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

GTX

Quote from: Archibald on April 17, 2009, 12:41:18 PM
Seen this month in Air&Cosmos... looks like the Armée de l'air may buy some C-130J, with all these delays with the A400M.

They have also requested pricing on C-17s - the feathers must truly be ruffled in Airbus etc!

Regards,

Greg

Wyrmshadow

The biggest problem I have with the UC-130... is that neither loadmasters... nor paratroopers would appreciate not having a flesh and blood pilot at the controls.
Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

GTX

Quote from: Wyrmshadow on April 27, 2009, 12:55:11 AM
The biggest problem I have with the UC-130... is that neither loadmasters... nor paratroopers would appreciate not having a flesh and blood pilot at the controls.

Wimps!

Regards,

Greg

kitnut617

Reading in the latest Air Combat mag, it says with the further delays of the A400M the UK and Germany may just opted out of the project as the unit price has jumped almost to the same as a C-17's, it says the RAF may just increase it's order for more C-130J's and C-17's but maybe the C-17B option (not sure what that is but I can't see they would be delivered any quicker as they haven't been built either)

jcf

Quote from: Wyrmshadow on April 27, 2009, 12:55:11 AM

That's easy. Robot loadmasters and paratroops.  ;D

CanisD

Cut a slit in its nose and mount a red LED in there connected to a small motor so it goes back and forth. :D
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Wolf's Shipyard
Wolf's Shipyard Forum