C-130 Hercules

Started by Nigel Bunker, May 22, 2003, 06:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi,
Got to admit that there isn't a C-130 replacement in the current market. As yet, a whiff might do the trick.

rickshaw

Quote from: McColm on January 06, 2011, 02:18:33 AM
Hi,
Got to admit that there isn't a C-130 replacement in the current market. As yet, a whiff might do the trick.

An70?
A400?
C-390?
C-130?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Hobbes

Quote from: McColm on November 11, 2010, 12:38:37 AM
Hi,
I've seen pictures of super stretched C-130s, twin engines and even a wide bodied. Has anyone thought of a Guppy or Super Guppy version ?

IDK if there's ever been a concept, but the high wing would get in the way if you place the fuselage extension on top as per the Guppy. Basically your cargo space is cut in half by the wing box. 

dy031101

I remember an ancient Air Force Monthly article that talked about a possible proposal of adding something to the effect of (IIRC) datalink relay capabilities into KC-135......

Something like that for the KC-135?  A role that doesn't need extra crew and associated consoles (and therefore much internal space) but not much less vital that tankers can do on the side?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

McColm

Has anyone ever considered detailing the inside?
okay the crew get a kitchen and hot food, the cargo/passengersa bucket if you are a female and a trough if you are a bloke. Toilet facilities are non-existant.
Brings on a whole new meaning "going for a dump".

GTX

Anyone want to have a go at this:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

MiB

Hercules/Chinnok?
Terrible.

In addition, the two-bladed rotor is the least suitable for a configuration like that!
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

apophenia

Quote from: MiB on January 22, 2011, 01:08:46 PM
In addition, the two-bladed rotor is the least suitable for a configuration like that!

How could it possibly be otherwise? This Lockheed-california proposal was for a stoppable rotor aircraft. I'm not saying that it was easily workable but adding blades certainly wouldn't have helped!

McColm

I wouldn't want to be inside that thing, the noise would be unbearable. Although thinking about it the Fairly Rotordome, if blended to the C-130 might work.

kitnut617

While looking through all my Quad Tilt Rotor info, I re-read a brochure about it.  A few pages in I found this comparison sheet,

What's of interest here are the three oversize schemes along the bottom for the C-130.  I've tried to google some of this but I've not come up with any more info.

Anyone have some ideas ?

Also, it shows a different undercarriage operation arrangement, one that will help with the Boeing XC-X I've also got planned.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

I think those bottom drawing's aren't for specific aircraft, more conjecture of what a fuselage sized to various requirements would look like.   

pyro-manic

Hasn't a "Fat Herc" ever been proposed? Seems like a logical idea, given the problems there have been fitting turreted vehicles etc. into the normal fuselage.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Hobbes on July 20, 2011, 11:13:58 AM
I think those bottom drawing's aren't for specific aircraft, more conjecture of what a fuselage sized to various requirements would look like.  

I sort of figured that was the case, I'm just wondering if there's any concept 3-View drawings to go with it.  The 12x12 section looks like it might be an Airbus A400M competitor.  I've scaled it out to 1/72 and it looks like a 1/58 C-130 would make a good base for it.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Those are possible cross-sections for C-130 sized and larger LCRs (Large Cargo Rotorcraft), as spelled out on Slide Two of that Bell presentation:
Large Cargo Rotorcraft Perceived Requirements
• DoD
– Marines
  • 12-15 tons @ SL, 103°F, HOGE at midmission
  • C-130-size cargo compartment
  • V-22 speed and range
– Air Force
  • Similar to the Marine requirement
  • Greater range desired
– Navy
  • 15 tons; 1000 nm range, SL 90°F
  • VTOL @ carrier / WOD
– Army
  • 10 - 20 tons @ 4000 ft/ 95°F, HOGE
  • 175 - 300 kt / 300 - 1000 km combat radius
   • Cabin size larger than C-130 (40'x10'x9' - 50'x12'x12')
• Commercial
  – No immediate requirement
  – 100 passenger short-haul market for VTOL may emerge given airport congestion forecast