Things that you've found when you weren't looking for them

Started by PR19_Kit, July 18, 2018, 10:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

While trying to make some space in The Loft so I can tidy up the rest of the house (Hah! Ever the optimist, me....) I came across a box of conversion kits.

The stuff I've got in there is mind boggling, LOADS of those lovely C Scale white metal conversions (including a Westland Wasp  :thumbsup:) and some Airwaves stuff too, along with LOADS of Aeroclub bits and pieces too.

It was all I could do to stop myself bringing it down and spending the entire evening figuring out what to do with them all.  ;D

I also found two boxes of vacforms, one of complete kits and one of conversions. I haven't DARED to look into them properly yet.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

I've been looking for a Wasp conversion for years ---  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

I found a box of vacforms the other month. Still trying to figure why I bought most of them especially that Vickers Windsor  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 19, 2018, 06:08:04 AM

I found a box of vacforms the other month. Still trying to figure why I bought most of them especially that Vickers Windsor  :o

I've got one of them too, it's a big aeroplane crammed into a very small box!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 19, 2018, 06:56:42 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 19, 2018, 06:08:04 AM

I've got one of them too, it's a big aeroplane crammed into a very small box!  :o

I've got a Sanger kit of it too, but there's some parts missing. When I wrote to Sanger asking if I could get them, the answer I got was a bit weird. I was told that they didn't have the moulds for the parts that were missing, kinda explains why they weren't in it doesn't it ----

PR19_Kit

I got fed up[with PSRing the Venom T5 and the Rotocrane so I fetched some the oddballs I found in the Lost Box down from The Loft for 'examination'.

Five gems seemed worth noting.

1) A Merlin Cierva C30 Rota autogyro. It's a TINY thing, maybe 2" at most, and amazingly I've actually started it, the seats and interior, such as it is, are already glued in place. It's pretty simple so I may finish it.

2) A Karaya Savoia Marchetti SM.65. That's a push me/pull you twin engine, twin float, twin boom (!) Schneider Trophy racer. It looks incredibly fragile and I can't think why I bought it, but it looks intriguing.

3) A Mach2 Ryan X-13 Vertijet. What else can you say about an aeroplane that lands and takes-off while hanging from a piece of string???? I've just GOT to make it!

4) A Unicraft  :banghead: McCulloch MC-4 tandem twin rotor helicopter. Think Chinook but 1/10 of the size, it's positively MINUTE. But the all-resin kit has a lot about the real aircraft but no instructions as to how to build the model whatsoever. Just identifying the umpteen parts will be difficult.

5) A 16 Escadron (Who?) Percival Pembroke. A lovely looking low pressure injection moulded kit of a nice RAF aircraft. It also happens to be the largest aircraft I've ever flown, but in its FAA Sea Prince guise, so that's GOT to be built too.

Goodness knows what else is up there, I'm almost afraid to look deeper into that particular box.

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 22, 2018, 02:56:17 PM
I got fed up[with PSRing the Venom T5 and the Rotocrane so I fetched some the oddballs I found in the Lost Box down from The Loft for 'examination'.

5) A 16 Escadron (Who?) Percival Pembroke. A lovely looking low pressure injection moulded kit of a nice RAF aircraft. It also happens to be the largest aircraft I've ever flown, but in its FAA Sea Prince guise, so that's GOT to be built too.

Goodness knows what else is up there, I'm almost afraid to look deeper into that particular box.

The 16e Escadron WAS a Bruxelles shop and the Pembroke is the only kit they issued:
https://modelkitcollecting.com/16e-escadron-belgium-t1361.html
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on July 23, 2018, 12:10:32 AM

The 16e Escadron WAS a Bruxelles shop and the Pembroke is the only kit they issued:

Thanks for that.  :thumbsup:

It didn't ring bells with me, hardly surprising really if that was the only kit they did, but I bought it just on the strength of the subject. That was some years ago at an early Telford I think, but it's a very well produced kit. I'm looking forward to building it.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 23, 2018, 12:39:30 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on July 23, 2018, 12:10:32 AM

Thanks for that.  :thumbsup:

It didn't ring bells with me, hardly surprising really if that was the only kit they did, but I bought it just on the strength of the subject. That was some years ago at an early Telford I think, but it's a very well produced kit. I'm looking forward to building it.

The 'Big Book' says it was produced in 1991 Kit.

Old Wombat

Things that I've found when I wasn't looking for them ≈ ∞

Things that I've found when I was looking for them ≈ 0

:-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Just recently I've had a spat at looking at some boxed kits only to discover I have 2 or even 3 inside the one box. Started labeling them as such now.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Yes more weirdness from my big box of Stuff up in The Loft.

1) An Anigrand resin Bell XHSL-1 anti-submarine helicopter. Think a smaller piston engined Chinook with Bell Huey rotors. Apparently the FAA were interested in it too, so it might make a good 'Paint Whiff'.

2) A KP Piper L-4H Cub. a TEENY weeny kit of a floatplane Cub! There's a transparent bit missing, but it's flat so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

3) A Classic Planes (?) Extra 300 aerobatic plane! Can't remember buying this, and the decals are knackered but plenty of colourful schemes for the type.

4) An Airmodel (my heart sank at first......) Helio U-10B Courier. But it's an injection moulded kit with a totally clear fuselage! I'm thinking 'Air America' of course, but there's a set of vacform floats in the box too.........  ;)

5) A High Planes Jindijvik. A cracking looking target aircraft and the kit looks good too, albeit needing a lot of flash removal first.

6) An Aeroclub Vampire T11, which makes two T11s I've got. Lovely looking kit that I'd forgotten all about.  ;D

7) The pick of the bunch, a 1/144 Rugrat Resins Comet 1 kit!  :thumbsup: The whole fuselage and wing roots are in one piece of resin and weigh a ton! But they supply a shaped nose weight that fits inside the hollow nose, amazing. I won this as a prize in an airliner competition some years back.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit