23 Sqdn. DH Venom T5

Started by PR19_Kit, July 19, 2018, 04:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I've now PSR'd the T5 to within an inch of its life, almost every single glue joint on the airframe needed some PSR, and now it's been re-primed and looks a lot better. One more PSR sessions should do it and I can start thinking about colour coats again.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I am looking forward to seeing this one done Kit, as your  recent  FAA and RAF  builds have  been inspiring (see also kick up the a**e) to me
:thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Wooksta!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 01, 2020, 04:40:08 AM
I've now PSR'd the T5 to within an inch of its life, almost every single glue joint on the airframe needed some PSR, and now it's been re-primed and looks a lot better. One more PSR sessions should do it and I can start thinking about colour coats again.

Just go for yellow T-bands and light aircraft grey with CFS markings.  Be a nice comparison with the Vintage Pair Vampire.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

KiwiZac

What a great idea, and an epic build!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

As the T5 will ne mostly NMF with broad yellow bands on the wings and booms, as was the RAF's trainer scheme in the late 50s-early 60s, I'm trying the pink basecoat idea for the yellow bits.

I had to mix the pink as I've not got any pink paint with me, Xtracrylic PRU Pink would have done a treat I think, but I mixed their white acrylic with some Humbrol Railway Red in a ratio of about 100:2 to make it.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Yup it needs to be a very pale pink, but still pink rather than an "off" white Kit.

All the proprietary pinks that I know of are way to dark and need a lot of white adding so you are just as well off making your own up to start with.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

What's the thinking behind pale pink rather than the previous 'received wisdom' of white?

Asking for a friend.   ;)
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on July 09, 2020, 07:27:32 AM

What's the thinking behind pale pink rather than the previous 'received wisdom' of white?

No idea, but Chris says it works, so I'm giving it a try. I'll report back with pics later.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

It'll work, I guarantee it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

I was told by a friend with a science degree that it's all to do with reflectivity or the various reflective indexes of the colours and that white and yellow are notorious for getting a good coating, especially with a brush.

I have absolutely no idea if that's true or not (nor what it means  ;D) and whilst his physics degree was a good one it was a long time ago  ;D But as Lee says, it does work and is especially useful for us brush painters. Saves lots of coats.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 10, 2020, 06:28:40 AM

I was told by a friend with a science degree that it's all to do with reflectivity or the various reflective indexes of the colours and that white and yellow are notorious for getting a good coating, especially with a brush.

I have absolutely no idea if that's true or not (nor what it means  ;D) and whilst his physics degree was a good one it was a long time ago  ;D But as Lee says, it does work and is especially useful for us brush painters. Saves lots of coats.

From what I know your friend is correct NARSES2

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on July 10, 2020, 06:48:34 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 10, 2020, 06:28:40 AM

From what I know your friend is correct NARSES2

Gondor

I assumed he was right, but it was so complicated and then he said "of course that's only the simplified version, in reality it's far more complicated"  ;D

Martin H

Not sure of the why, But its the undercoat colour of choice for JCB......................
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

zenrat

Oh, its supposed to be PALE pink is it?

Hmmmm.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Damn, me too! I didn't know. When I tried it I used a quite vibrant "Barbie" pink and it did seem to help. Not that I'm denying the method, but I do find it surprising that only a tiny amount of tint to otherwise white paint would result in such a drastic decrease in subsequent coats of yellow.  Pretty cool!  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-