23 Sqdn. DH Venom T5

Started by PR19_Kit, July 19, 2018, 04:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Ah, that's an idea.  :thumbsup:

I'll see how the shapes work out.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Complex 3D shapes can be a little tricky, but even with some scalpel butchering the result is IMHO better than messy paint experiments - at least when you use a brush like me. With an airbrush, things might be different, but I have found generic decal sheet to be a versatile weapon. For instance, all the invasion stripes on my recent Marlin build were created from such material, and the chequered tip tanks from my Hellenic F-94B were also improvised with decal sheet (black on yellow paint, though)

1:72 Lockheed F-94B "Starfire", aircraft 'FA 088' (ex USAF Bu. No. 52-0088) of the 340th Mira "Flying Foxes", 111th Combat Wing, Hellenic Air Force (Πολεμική Αεροπορία, Polemikí Aeroporía); Nea Anchialos AFB, 1961 (Whif/Heller kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Fiddly at times, but an option.  ;)

PR19_Kit

QuoteWith an airbrush, things might be different

Hah! NO chance of that, like you I'm a hard over brush guy!  ;D

If I can't find any yellow decal sheet handy I could print some anyway.   ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Well the Venom T5 isn't going to make the build deadline I'm afraid, unless a miracle happens in the next few weeks.  :banghead:

While giving it a re-spray after the extra PSR the model fell off it's holding jig and hit the floor from about 4 ft altitude, wrecking the paint scheme and snapping off one of the resin ejection seats and I can't find it. I don't have another set to hand just now, so that's it for now.

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Sorry to hear this. I am sure you will find the seat as soon as you stop looking for it.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

That's a shame Kit.

As for the seat ? walk around in your bare feet, you are sure to find it then  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 23, 2018, 05:55:02 AM

As for the seat ? walk around in your bare feet, you are sure to find it then  :-\

Actually that's a pretty good idea, I'll try that.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

JayBee

No, No, No, just think of the damage you might do if you stand on it.
I find that lying on the floor with my ear to the ground, as it were, your eye is then at the perfect level to spot any irregularities on the floor surface, like a 1/72 ejector seat for example.
If it is a very small part that you are looking for, then gently run your hand over the area that you can see, and you have a good chance of finding the missing part.
Note that this does not always work. Years ago I lost the control column for a Blue Angels Grumman Tiger (Hasegawa kit) and never did find it. I suppose it made it an unintentional WhatIf, the pilot using mind control rather than real physical controls.  :rolleyes: 
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

That plan works in theory Jim, but it falls apart because the fatal fall occurred up in The Loft, and the floor is anything BUT level!

If I got my eye down at floor level all I'd see would be various pieces of good Minnesotan plywood stretching into the distance with various piles of kits located at intervals. The chance of seeing a 1/72 resin ejection seat is close to zero, or even less.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I to tend to start the search by getting my eye as close to floor level as possible and then try and "feel" for the part with my fingers. If I do use bare feet, then the soles of my feet are fairly responsive and I don't usually come down hard on something. Note I say usually as I have actually managed to embed plastic into the soles of my feet once or twice  :banghead: Now when it gets stuck between your toes ???:angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Let joy be unconfined!  ;D :thumbsup:

No, I haven't found the missing resin ejection seat, but while going through the box of numerous odds and ends I mentioned elsewhere I came across a large plastic bag that held no less than ELEVEN sets of Aeroclub ejection seats! As these always have at least two seats, I'm up to my ears in the things.  ;D

So it looks like the Venom is back on the programme, this time with white metal seats which will go a long way to improving its tail sitting propensities!.  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I found some MB Mk 1 seats in that job lot of Aeroclub wonderfulness and I built them up, they're in two parts, and they're now in the Venom's cockpit.

They're a tad tall as the canopy won't fit properly, so I'll have to file a mm. or so off the top of them, and I'll be spraying on the THIRD, or maybe even fourth, coat of silver later on.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Leave the canopy open?

In the time frame, the seats are more likely to be mk 2s.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 26, 2018, 04:51:54 AM

Leave the canopy open?

In the time frame, the seats are more likely to be mk 2s.

That means I'd have to 'detail' the cockpit, and it'd be a tad fragile for carrying to shows, it opens vertically on a T11.

Yes, I'd agree they should be Mk 2s, but I only had Mk 1s to hand. I don't think Mk 10s or  Escapacs would do the job.....  ;D

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Much easier to take the excess off the base.  I've had that problem before.

Alternately, if you've a pair of Revell Hunters, nick the seats and keep the Aeroclub for them.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic