23 Sqdn. DH Venom T5

Started by PR19_Kit, July 19, 2018, 04:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 26, 2018, 06:47:03 AM

Much easier to take the excess off the base.  I've had that problem before.

Good thinking, and thanks for the tip Lee.  :thumbsup:

I levered the seats back out, thank goodness for rubbish superglue, and filed the bottom of the seats until the canopy fitted ok. Then I glued them back in, with better superglue.....

Al ready for the (last...) paint coat now.

[Later] I remembered that the twin elevator mass balances were a victim of the fall too, and the Airfix T11 ones are SO fragile that they won't be replaced. The Frog ones from the Sea Venom kit might find their way in place though. They may be clunky but at least they don't collapse under their own weight!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 27, 2018, 03:37:59 PM

I levered the seats back out, thank goodness for rubbish superglue, and filed the bottom of the seats until the canopy fitted ok. Then I glued them back in, with better superglue.....

It can prove a boon  ;) but then even the more expensive can fall victim to a short, sharp, lateral tap  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 27, 2018, 03:37:59 PM

[Later] I remembered that the twin elevator mass balances were a victim of the fall too, and the Airfix T11 ones are SO fragile that they won't be replaced. The Frog ones from the Sea Venom kit might find their way in place though. They may be clunky but at least they don't collapse under their own weight!

So much for that idea. If I'd have remembered properly this edition of the FROG kit doesn't have any mass balances, just some huge lumps moulded into the bottom of the tailplane, and I've already filed those off.  :banghead:

No matter, the Venom T5s had internal mass balances of course...........  ;D

I've just re-sprayed it and this time it stayed on the wire rack stand.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Moved from RAF 100 PG thread
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Whenever I inadvertently feed the Carpet Monster, I use a bright flashlight/torch at floor level, and I sweep the beam around.  This causes silhouette conditions for all debris in the carpet, and I can usually find things fairly quickly - some of the time.  There are things that have vanished, but my retrieval rate is on the order of 80%, I reckon.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

That'd only work if the carpet was relatively free from assorted plastic and metal stuff in the first place. In my model room there's NO chance of that, it's maybe 0.5" deep in all sorts of random stuff..............  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

If I find things sacrificed to the Carpet Monster it tends to be just after I've fabricated a replacement  :banghead:

Scotaidh

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 17, 2018, 06:29:15 AM
If I find things sacrificed to the Carpet Monster it tends to be just after I've fabricated a replacement  :banghead:

LOL!  Yes, I have that syndrome, too.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

After almost 2 whole years, the Venom T5 may be back on the 'Build Bench', thanks to The Wooksta reminding me of it a week or so ago, thanks Lee.  :thumbsup:

I dug it out of the 'Pending' pile at home when I was there last week and brought it back to my 'Country Home' in Northants y'day. But I couldn't find the landing gear or the canopy, so I see some purchases from the Big H in my future.

Are Venom and Vampire landing gears the same as each other?

The model's in a TERRIBLE state, it's all over silver so far and shows every mark, so it's scratched to blazes, plus one wing joint has cracked, so that's been superglued already, but the whole thing's going to need re-priming and sanding before it gets another coat of paint.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The legs themselves look the same, but the doors may be different - athough Aeroclub's Vampire u/c set was identical to that of his Venom, and knowing John Adams propensity towards accuracy, I'd suspect that they are.

Which kit are the wings from?  If they're Sea Venom, they have a different cut out to RAF Venoms.

Oddly, just mashed the Aeroclub Venom pod together.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The wings are ex-FROG Sea Venom FAW21, and the gear bays taper toward the wing tips.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I can't remember what the shape differences are - I just remember using a different wheel well insert when I built the NF Venom rather than the Sea Venom in the vile Matchbox one in 32nd.  This is 30 years ago, so the details are understandably a bit hazy!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Luckily it sits pretty low to the ground, so any JMN who wishes to comment would have to be pretty darn short!

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

The old SAM 'cut and shunt' Vampire/Sea Venom conversion mentions nothing. 

Other than the wing fold, a look at various plans suggests minor differences, but nothing externally significant except the trailing edge fairing.  E-mail inbound, Kit.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter